Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-20-2012, 04:07 AM   #21
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: 24th pick: Cordy Glenn, Hightower and Worthy

We need OL, NT, LB in the first 3 rounds in no particular order...
pancake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,791 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
The failures of the offensive line are also vastly exaggerated while ignoring the excessive amount of injuries that they suffered last year and the fact that much of the damage Roethlisberger takes is largely his own fault. You could have the best 5 linemen in the game that work in sync with one another and Ben will still take 3 times as many sacks as Peyton Manning. Health alone will improve upon what the line did last year with Pouncey, Colon, Legursky, and Gilbert all healthy. The Steelers do NOT need a first round offensive lineman in a deep class, and it's looking unlikely that the BPA at #24 will be one.
I tend to agree. Ben scrambles and takes more sacks because of the way he plays. But, I also think that Legursky is backup talent that should not be starting and our best LT is a 2nd year player.

We need to add some talent to the O line. Not necessarily in round 1, but if guys like Jon Martin or Bobbie Massie are there, it might be tempting. Good guards can be had in the 2nd and 3rd round, but athletic OT's are always a premium need.
Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #23
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I still think there's a good chance Starks returns this season to be the 3rd tackle.

I'm willing to give Legursky more time to fend for a job, simply due to how many injuries he's dealt with, but the reality is that he may be battling a high round rookie for the starting LG position, and of course I'm perfectly fine with that. He obviously possesses more value as a flexible backup than as a mediocre starter. Having Legursky and Essex (or Starks) as the reserve linemen on gameday would be a great luxury.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,536 Times in 804 Posts
My Mood: Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
What do you like so much about Cordy Glenn that you think we need to spend the #24 pick on him?? What if we could get Kelechi Osemele or Mitchell Schwartz in the 2nd round?? Or Brandon Brooks in the 2nd or 3rd round??

This is the issue in this years draft. Lots of good O linemen that will be around in the forst 3 rounds. Keuchly and Hightower are the only 2 real talents worth that 1st round pick at LB

Cordy Glenn might not be a good guard in the NFL anyways. He could be the equivalent of Gosder Cherilus, a RT.

Good, let's get a couple of them too. Do you think one O-lineman is going to solve our problem with this unit?
Go down the depth chart.....aside from Pouncey, a bunch of seviceable back-ups.
Fill-ins at best. Here's the problem, most of them fit this description and make up our entire line.
Ignore this need again and expect the same offensive results.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #25
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

If we still need to address the inside linebacker spot after round 1, I like Bobby Wagner Utah State.

If we get Cordy Glenn then I think he will be a pro bowl player in a few years at G or RT.

If we get Hightower I think he will make big plays and hits to win games on a regular basis. Early Kendrell Bell but better.

I think Jerel Worthy is the safest pick at NT in this draft. Every other candidate has question marks in their games, or work habits. Worthy would be like Dallas' Jay Ratliff, more a penetrating NT who makes more plays in the backfield and gets more sacks.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #26
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,791 Times in 895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Good, let's get a couple of them too. Do you think one O-lineman is going to solve our problem with this unit?
Go down the depth chart.....aside from Pouncey, a bunch of seviceable back-ups.
Fill-ins at best. Here's the problem, most of them fit this description and make up our entire line.
Ignore this need again and expect the same offensive results.
I honestly think that 1 O lineman and a lack of injuries can solve the problem with this unit. I believe that the Steelers will draft 2 O linemen, but am expecting a 1st and 4th round pick scenario.

Lets look at the O line by positions:

Left Tackle- Gilbert will go to camp as the starter with Essex the backup
Left Guard- This is where we need to draft somebody, or else Legursky or Chris Scott will be incumbent.
Center- Pouncey, enough said. (Legursky backup)
Right Guard- Foster has been a good starter there. Room to be pushed, but fine.
Right Tackle- Colon has been a solid starter when healthy. If healthy, then no problem.

So add 2 draft picks to the mix, or a veteran free agent and that is what we go with. Not really the end of the world as some think.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #27
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I honestly think that 1 O lineman and a lack of injuries can solve the problem with this unit. I believe that the Steelers will draft 2 O linemen, but am expecting a 1st and 4th round pick scenario.

Lets look at the O line by positions:

Left Tackle- Gilbert will go to camp as the starter with Essex the backup
Left Guard- This is where we need to draft somebody, or else Legursky or Chris Scott will be incumbent.
Center- Pouncey, enough said. (Legursky backup)
Right Guard- Foster has been a good starter there. Room to be pushed, but fine.
Right Tackle- Colon has been a solid starter when healthy. If healthy, then no problem.

So add 2 draft picks to the mix, or a veteran free agent and that is what we go with. Not really the end of the world as some think.
Well said. I agree with just about everything you said, although I tend to feel that the BPA for them in the first round will not be an offensive lineman. I think there's a HIGH probability that they draft a guard in round two, especially, obviously, if they don't take a lineman in round 1. One must also keep in mind that Roethlisberger's style of play often makes the unit look worse than it is, and would make anybody look worse at times.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #28
steel-EERS
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 2166

I think the steelers take whoever is rated the highest on there board and that player will most likely be a probowl player! Worthy I think is not a great fit for the steelers but I have seen them take players before that were thought to not be a good matches. Glenn I don't think will be there, same for adams. if either is there I would think they jump on them IMO. Hightower looks like a sure thing but the only thing that really matters is if the steeler FO thinks he is and we won't know that for a few days.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #29
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I don't see why we have so much confidence in Gilbert being a good LT.

I am not trying to be chicken little. I just don't see the body of work to justify the confidence in him.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Because he was a good right tackle and he was a better left tackle in college and looked good there in the preseason.