Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #31
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,124 Times in 2,631 Posts
Default Re: 24th pick: Cordy Glenn, Hightower and Worthy

i think we will be fine with gilbert at LT.

if we spend anything higher than a third round pick for a LT, i think alot of fans just expect j. ogden or o. pace type of play.

unfortunately those guys only come around about twice every 10 years and we will never draft high enough to select one. we should be ecstatic with the potential of gilbert. i think any steelers 2nd round pick that isnt a bust is gravy (sweed, jackson, colclough etc)
Old 04-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #32
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I would love Hightower or Poe but I think they will both be gone so if Fleener is sitting there, I would have no problem with that or the best OG available.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:01 AM   #33
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Colbert has never picked defense first two years in a row. I think that's by design. Glenn, or we trade up for DeCastro.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:21 AM   #34
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
If we still need to address the inside linebacker spot after round 1, I like Bobby Wagner Utah State.

If we get Cordy Glenn then I think he will be a pro bowl player in a few years at G or RT.

If we get Hightower I think he will make big plays and hits to win games on a regular basis. Early Kendrell Bell but better.

I think Jerel Worthy is the safest pick at NT in this draft. Every other candidate has question marks in their games, or work habits. Worthy would be like Dallas' Jay Ratliff, more a penetrating NT who makes more plays in the backfield and gets more sacks.
He didn't make big plays to win games in Alabama. All of the talent around him did that. He may have made them look better but no one game was one because of a big play or plays he made. Simply put solid but not spectacular. That defense as a whole did really well but he may be the 4th best player on that defense at best.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:29 AM   #35
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
He didn't make big plays to win games in Alabama. All of the talent around him did that. He may have made them look better but no one game was one because of a big play or plays he made. Simply put solid but not spectacular. That defense as a whole did really well but he may be the 4th best player on that defense at best.
The difference with Hightower is that while he may not have made the "big play " as you put it, he was the defensive captain and ran Sabans D to perfection. Very high football IQ. But he is also an ILB and "big or splash "plays aren't what you judge those players on. Being able to call the D and be a tackling machine and having sideline to sideline range is , IMO, the most important things for an ILB. That IS Hightower. I am hping he is there for us, but I have a feeling the Ratbirds just might trade up to get him.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 04:32 AM   #36
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Sideline to sideline range is NOT one of Hightower's strengths. Bur pairing him up with a player like Timmons would sort of neutralize that.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:57 AM   #37
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I don't see why we have so much confidence in Gilbert being a good LT.

I am not trying to be chicken little. I just don't see the body of work to justify the confidence in him.
Honestly, I was skeptical of him coming out of Florida, mainly because the spread offense they run isnt something that you can really evaluate a LT prospect at. Also, he looked to be a big guy that was more a run blocker than pass protector.

You could tell that in the 1st preseason game that he had the agility to play the left side. I am not that keen on putting a young guy on Ben's blind side, but he showed he can handle pass protection well enough, has the size and decent hand placement.

Basically, a kid that big, with quick feet, long arms and decent hand placement can play LT. Best thing is that he and Kugler get to work at it more before opening day.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:01 AM   #38
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Sideline to sideline range is NOT one of Hightower's strengths. Bur pairing him up with a player like Timmons would sort of neutralize that.
Yup....and what most fans forget is that the hashmarks in the NFL are narrower than in college football. NCAA allows for more sweeps, where the NFL is a "between the tackles" type of game.

Same reason guys like Reggie Bush are great in college, but mediocre in the NFL. Hightower would be a solid ILB in the NFL.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #39
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,496 Times in 781 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
I don't see why we have so much confidence in Gilbert being a good LT.

I am not trying to be chicken little. I just don't see the body of work to justify the confidence in him.

As well as many of the others. I hate to beat a dead horse, but I will.
Essex? Foster? J. Scott ? Legursky? C. Scott? Starks? Colon?
Too many question marks for a top O-line unit.
Here's my point, again. If we don't upgrade this unit significantly expect the same results
from this unit: Ben getting killed, ineffective running game, and RB's dancing and looking for a hole that doesn't exist.
This unit was man-handled too many times last season.
Hope, wishes, and higher expectations will not improve this unit.
Upgrading the talent base will.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #40
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

One could say that with Pouncey, Gilbert, Colon. ....there is a decent talent base there already. Just need a couple reasonable picks to go along with Foster. Then Essex, Legursky, maybe Chris Scott backing up is reasonable.

I find it amusing that everybody thinks we draft a guy and he will instantly pay dividends. Not always the case, so if we get Jon Martin, Silatolu, Brandon Brooks or Bobbie Massie, they probaby will not start on opening day. More experienced and polished guys like Zeitler, maybe Glenn or Osemele could.