Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-18-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Not everyone hates the throwback

Not everyone hates the throwback
Kaitlynn Riely / The Pittsburgh Press
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...31974/?print=1

A Steelers uniform from the past got a rough introduction Tuesday to the communication methods of the present.

"This has to be the ugliest thing I have seen," one person wrote in the comments section of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's website. "They look like prisoner uniforms! Hate them," wrote another.

More fans -- and a few Steelers players -- gave a thumbs down via Twitter to the black-and-gold striped uniforms, modeled after a version the team used in 1934 and resurrected to celebrate the team's 80th season.

Love the new uniforms or hate them, there's one thing most sports watchers should be able to agree on: they are hard to miss.

"I like it," said Jon Kendle, a researcher at the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio, which keeps examples of throwback uniforms worn by teams in recent years.

"I'm always a sucker for history," he said. "So I am a sucker for throwback uniforms."

In a small section of the Internet -- the spot where people write about sports uniforms -- a couple of bloggers have taken notice of the new old look.

The blog section of the Gridiron Uniform Database, which has compiled drawings of every uniform worn in the NFL since 1933, broke out in debate after the Steelers throwback uniforms were unveiled.

Using newspaper clippings, old football cards and team pictures to bolster their arguments, bloggers and commenters argued over whether the uniforms were worn by the team during the 1933 or 1934 seasons.

Over on Uni Watch, a website that describes itself as "the obsessive study of athletics aesthetics," the lead post this morning was bullish on the new Steelers throwback uniforms.

"If you're gonna throw back, you might as well throw all the way back," wrote Paul Lukas, who writes a column on uniform design for ESPN.com in addition to maintaining the Uni Watch blog.

In a phone interview from Brooklyn, N.Y., Mr. Lukas said he liked that the Steelers chose a bold design, which harkened to the days when people only watched games from the stands -- before high-definition TV and JumboTrons -- and needed a strong contrast to see the plays.

Although he's not sure the new uniform will be a big seller for the Steelers, he said the throwback uniform -- for the Steelers and for all the teams that create them -- is about celebrating history.

"The throwback allows the team to connect across generations and to throw itself a little party and say, 'This is what we've been about in the past.'"
This story originally appeared in The Pittsburgh Press. To subscribe, go to http://old.post-gazette.com/trypress/ Kaitlynn Riely: kriely@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1707.

First Published 2012-04-18 20:16:44

(This whole throwback uniform concept has gotten really tired. It's just a marketing ploy by the teams and NFL to try and make more money. It has nothing to do with history of the league or of the teams. As far as this particular one goes it looks really hideous against the pale gold pants as I saw in one photo. I only hope they wear them against the white pants or I will have to listen to the games instead of watch them. I suppose I could try and set the TV to black and white so I don't have the watch the team play in them. - mesa)
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
pancake
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 13552
Default Re: Not everyone hates the throwback

Are we counting the visual impaired on the list who liked the throwbacks?
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,227 Times in 1,274 Posts

Quote:
It's just a marketing ploy by the teams and NFL to try and make more money. It has nothing to do with history of the league or of the teams.
I don't think they'll have to worry about breaking the bank on this hideous looking thing.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,723 Times in 791 Posts

shit!!!even steve wonder was shocked when he saw those things!!!!!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 4,584 Times in 1,965 Posts

i do.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I don't think they'll have to worry about breaking the bank on this hideous looking thing.
Good point. I predict it will be the lowest selling jersey of all time and the unsold ones will end up in some third world country.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
fujirama24
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18332

Quote:
Originally Posted by fer522 View Post
shit!!!even steve wonder was shocked when he saw those things!!!!!
Your killing me man. I was in the middle of taking a drink when I read that. Needless to say I needed some towels. LOL
fujirama24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
fer522
ACERERO

Archery 2000 Champion! Archery Champion! Galaxians Champion! Apple Shooter Champion!
Member Number: 16190
Thanked 1,723 Times in 791 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujirama24 View Post
Your killing me man. I was in the middle of taking a drink when I read that. Needless to say I needed some towels. LOL
you needed some towels??? hmmmm????
Old 04-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #9
coffeecup
Water Boy

Member Number: 8947

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Good point. I predict it will be the lowest selling jersey of all time and the unsold ones will end up in some third world country.
No wonder they hate Americans
coffeecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,720 Times in 2,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
even people in third world countries would rather walk around naked than to wear those hideous jerseys...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote