Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #11
Pa Yankee
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17672
Default Re: Not everyone hates the throwback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
even people in third world countries would rather walk around naked than to wear those hideous jerseys...
To far..
Pa Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:04 PM   #12
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

I will be the one guy that buys it I guess. I am dead serious when I say that I like the jersey's. I will wear it proudly too.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,329 Times in 4,412 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Steelers' new 'classic' uniforms from 1934

April 18, 2012
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

John Heller/Associated Press

Isaac Redman, left, offers the full throwback look for team president Art Rooney II.

In 1934, Pittsburgh's pro football franchise went 2-10 and drew 19,000 to its best-attended game at Forbes Field.

The team was called the Pirates, reflecting the desire of founder Art Rooney Sr. to borrow from the luster of what was then the top franchise in town.

A few things have changed since, but one thing has not -- those '34 uniforms were really loud. That was apparent Tuesday when the Steelers unveiled updated versions of the '34 models as their new throwback uniforms for 2012, the team's 80th season.

The jerseys, which the Steelers will wear twice this season, feature a bold black-and-gold striped pattern with squared numbers. The pants are mustard yellow. The Steelers will stick with their usual black helmets.

"We wanted to go back ... and recall some of the early days of the franchise," team president Art Rooney II said. "We thought the 1934 jersey would be something different and would help us recall the early days of pro football."

Rooney explained that the team had worn that particular uniform design only once.

"The only pictures we had of that uniform were in black and white, so they kind of appeared as prison uniforms -- black-and-white stripes. It really wasn't until 10 years ago that a relative of one of the players who actually had a real jersey sent it to us ... it was the first time we ever really saw a live in-color version of it which was kind of fun."

Since '07, the Steelers have worn a throwback uniform from the '60 season featuring black jerseys with gold numbers and gold arm stripes, white pants with gold stripes, and a gold helmet. That uniform made its debut for the team's 75th anniversary in '07. In '94, the Steelers wore their original '33 uniforms as part of the NFL's 75th anniversary celebration.

"It'll be interesting to see how our fans react to it. It's very different, kind of eye-popping. ... It'll be fun to see [the players] reaction to it, too."

Initial fan reaction on the Post-Gazette website was overwhelmingly negative.

Running back Isaac Redman, who modeled the uniform for assembled media, had the first word from the players' perspective.

"They went way back for this one," Redman said. "I don't know how everybody else is going to take it, but I really like the uniform.

"I like the stripes. But we'll see.

"We'll see the reactions."

Via Twitter, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said "Big guys look funny in stripes!" and cornerback Ike Taylor referred to the jersey as "the bee."

An indecisive, or, perhaps, politically correct linebacker LaMarr Woodley simply said "Hmmmmm ..."

His fellow outside linebacker, James Harrison, was less charitable, tweeting: "There's a reason these jerseys were from [1934] ... it's 2012 now though, so send them back!"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...m-1934-631906/
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 AM   #14
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

There is no way these are worse than the Philly and GreenBay throwbacks of the last couple of seasons! They were hideous...

Last edited by MDSteel15; 04-19-2012 at 06:35 AM.
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #15
micraydim
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18601
My Mood: Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
Are we counting the visual impaired on the list who liked the throwbacks?
haha . i like
micraydim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #16
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,106 Times in 2,619 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers' new 'classic' uniforms from 1934

April 18, 2012
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

John Heller/Associated Press

Isaac Redman, left, offers the full throwback look for team president Art Rooney II.

In 1934, Pittsburgh's pro football franchise went 2-10 and drew 19,000 to its best-attended game at Forbes Field.

The team was called the Pirates, reflecting the desire of founder Art Rooney Sr. to borrow from the luster of what was then the top franchise in town.

A few things have changed since, but one thing has not -- those '34 uniforms were really loud. That was apparent Tuesday when the Steelers unveiled updated versions of the '34 models as their new throwback uniforms for 2012, the team's 80th season.

The jerseys, which the Steelers will wear twice this season, feature a bold black-and-gold striped pattern with squared numbers. The pants are mustard yellow. The Steelers will stick with their usual black helmets.

"We wanted to go back ... and recall some of the early days of the franchise," team president Art Rooney II said. "We thought the 1934 jersey would be something different and would help us recall the early days of pro football."

Rooney explained that the team had worn that particular uniform design only once.

"The only pictures we had of that uniform were in black and white, so they kind of appeared as prison uniforms -- black-and-white stripes. It really wasn't until 10 years ago that a relative of one of the players who actually had a real jersey sent it to us ... it was the first time we ever really saw a live in-color version of it which was kind of fun."

Since '07, the Steelers have worn a throwback uniform from the '60 season featuring black jerseys with gold numbers and gold arm stripes, white pants with gold stripes, and a gold helmet. That uniform made its debut for the team's 75th anniversary in '07. In '94, the Steelers wore their original '33 uniforms as part of the NFL's 75th anniversary celebration.

"It'll be interesting to see how our fans react to it. It's very different, kind of eye-popping. ... It'll be fun to see [the players] reaction to it, too."

Initial fan reaction on the Post-Gazette website was overwhelmingly negative.

Running back Isaac Redman, who modeled the uniform for assembled media, had the first word from the players' perspective.

"They went way back for this one," Redman said. "I don't know how everybody else is going to take it, but I really like the uniform.

"I like the stripes. But we'll see.

"We'll see the reactions."

Via Twitter, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said "Big guys look funny in stripes!" and cornerback Ike Taylor referred to the jersey as "the bee."

An indecisive, or, perhaps, politically correct linebacker LaMarr Woodley simply said "Hmmmmm ..."

His fellow outside linebacker, James Harrison, was less charitable, tweeting: "There's a reason these jerseys were from [1934] ... it's 2012 now though, so send them back!"

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...m-1934-631906/
looks like the hamburglar lol
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:53 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Harrison doesn't like Steelers' throwback jerseys

When the Steelers unveiled their new throwback uniforms on Tuesday … well, let’s just say there wasn’t a ton of mass appeal.

Both Pittsburgh fans and non-fans alike ripped the unis to shreds (unfortunately not literally), comparing the retro look to “a character from Dr. Seuss’s books” or “a soccer player that just got out of jail” — and everything in between.

Now, one of the players who will have the unfortunate honor of actually putting this thing on his body has joined the fun.

Chiming in on Twitter, the always-outspoken James Harrison made it known he’s no fan of the old-school uniforms, either, urging the team to nix the nostalgia and do away with them.

True, James, but you’re off by two years; the Steelers first rocked these bad boys in 1934. I agree with you, though — having to play in front of millions looking like you wrapped yourself in police caution tape almost borders on cruel and unusual punishment.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...forms/10591123
Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #18
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

police caution tape, lol Thats a good one.

Never was a throwback fan. These are worse. Whole point is to sell more jerseys to the fools who "must" have them, has nothing to do with anything else. Only dollars. The apparel makers have to manufacturer X jerseys, NFL and NFLPA get paid regardless of them selling once they are made.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #19
SteelShazam
Water Boy

Member Number: 18581

As long as they don't play like the steelers of the 30's...
SteelShazam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #20
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelShazam View Post
As long as they don't play like the steelers of the 30's...

good point, the Steelers went 2-10 in 1934 wearing those uniforms...