Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-19-2012, 10:51 AM   #11
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts
Default Re: NT Poe visits, could be Steelers No. 1 pick

just one guys opinion (who says poe has bust written all over him)-

Russell Lande ‏ @RUSSLANDE
Finished 43 DT's for draft guide & ended up rating D. Poe as the # 5 DT for a 43. He is not a true NT.

Russell Lande ‏ @RUSSLANDE
@AllMyTeamsSuck - Poe is not a nose tackle.

albert haynesworth II???
Old 04-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Men of Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 13746
My Mood: Amused

im sure the front office will not only look at his talent, but his personality and work ethic. dont worry, front office will place his true value on our draft board. and if the reports are true, i dont think they'll grab him.

but if they see something we dont, im down for the pic. the dudes a beast. he just has to play like it too.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:07 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,592 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Dontari Poe Visits Pittsburgh, But It Seems Unlikely He'll Be a Steeler

by Neal Coolong on Apr 19, 2012

His size and stature doesn't lend itself well to vertical speed, yet, Memphis NT Dontari Poe can move like a faster defensive end. He's 346 pounds and moves like he's 250.

His strength is an obvious asset to the position, but bench-pressing 500 pounds is usually reserved for the otherwise low-talented defensive linemen who's strength alone could earn him a training camp invite. Squatting 700 and cleaning 400 borders on Olympian status as well.

But why didn't he dominate? That's the question turning Steelers fans - if not their front office - upside down as the time before the 2012 NFL Draft drops from weeks to days, and turns quickly into hours. With his visit to Pittsburgh Wednesday, the last day teams can have potential draft participants in for meet-and-greets, the speculation ensues.

You flat-out do not find guys with the combination of size and athleticism as Dontari Poe very often. Teaching a guy with those kinds of attributes how to play the nose tackle position should be like a piano teacher getting a blank-slated Mozart.

That doesn't answer the main question, though. Why didn't he dominate in college? With all due respect to Memphis University and the fine staff I'm sure they have there, how does a guy with those freakish natural gifts not develop into a player? Come to that, why wasn't he playing for a higher-end football program?

The easy answers lay somewhere in the cliche questions: motivation, intelligence, care, love of the game. All things I have complete faith Mike Tomlin and the Steelers' brass asked about in their research process.

When the rubber meets the road, the Steelers aren't a franchise who only drafts guys who can contribute in Year 1. In fact, the last two first-round defensive lineman picks they've made - Cameron Heyward and Ziggy Hood - only played their rookie years because of injuries. 2007 second-round pick LaMarr Woodley barely saw the field his rookie year. If they were in the position to take Poe, and they made him their first-round pick, he would most likely follow the "redshirt" philosophy as many of his predecessors have.

But that upside sure is tantalizing. So much so, this is probably a moot point and another team will grab him before the Steelers would have to worry about it.

It's still one of the more intriguing draft prospects the Steelers have weighed in the past several years. They're used to taking the guy who produced in college, not the project. But the roster is in flux, top to bottom, this could be the year that strategy changes up a little bit.

Again, provided he's on the board at 24.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...i-poe-steelers
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,323 Times in 3,491 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

he could be the steelers pick (if he drops like 15 projected spots) lol. yeah, with that said, andrew luck COULD be the steelers #1 pick
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,592 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Will Steelers go nose first?

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

For nearly a decade, there was little change on the Steelers' defensive line. The same players helped Pittsburgh get to three Super Bowls and win two.

With the recent retirements of end Aaron Smith and nose tackle Chris Hoke, things are going to look different along the defensive front next season.

The Steelers have used a pair of first-round draft picks on defensive linemen in recent years, taking Ziggy Hood in 2009, and Cameron Heyward last year.

Those two, coupled with holdovers Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton and surprising Steve McLendon will be counted upon to anchor the defense.

Hampton, however, suffered a torn knee ligament in the Steelers' playoff loss at Denver. Though Hampton is expected to be ready for the start of the season, the 34-year-old nose tackle is nearing the end of his career. That could make finding a replacement a priority in the NFL draft April 26-28.

The Steelers hold 10 picks in the seven-round draft, including the No. 24 selection in the first round.

Finding nose tackles to anchor a 3-4 defense isn't easy, and not every college defensive tackle fits the profile of what the Steelers need.

Topping this year's group of nose tackles is Memphis' Dontari Poe, a massive 6-4, 346-pound run stuffer. The opinions of Poe's ability vary greatly. He showed freakish talent at the NFL combine, excelling in all of the position drills, running the 40-yard dash in 4.98 seconds and bench pressing 225 pounds a combine-best 44 times.

But Poe's production at Memphis didn't match his athletic ability. He had only eight tackles for losses and one sack in 2011.

"Coming off the combine, I wanted to show people what a freak this kid Poe is, and he is a physical freak, no doubt," NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock told Pro Football Talk. "However, the tape is very average, so how do you match it up - potential versus actual game footage? When I look at this kid, I see a freaky athlete with a good motor. If you have those two things, over time, I believe you can develop into a high-quality NFL player."

If Poe is available when the Steelers pick at No. 24, they would have to be very tempted to select him. Poe, who visited the Steelers Wednesday, has been compared athletically to Baltimore's Haloti Ngata.

The next group of nose tackles include Washington's Alameda Ta'amu (6-3, 335), Brigham Young's Hebron Fangupo (6-1, 323) and Alabama's Josh Chapman (6-1, 316). All three are considered second- to third-round prospects.

The Steelers brought Fanguopo to Pittsburgh for a one-on-one visit, and general manager Kevin Colbert has gone to workouts at Alabama to check out Chapman.

Chapman, in particular, is an interesting prospect. He anchored Alabama's national championship defense last season despite playing much of the season with a torn ACL in his left knee. Chapman had surgery to repair the injury in January and is expected to make a full recovery.

Though the Steelers likely won't be in the market for 3-4 defensive ends in the early rounds, there's a solid group available led by North Carolina's Quinton Coples (6-6, 284), LSU's Michael Brockers (6-5, 322) and Mississippi State's Fletcher Cox (6-4, 298). All three are likely to be selected in the first 20 picks of the draft.

Some teams might view Brockers and Cox as defensive tackles, but they would play end in Pittsburgh's defense.

Connecticut's Kendall Reyes, Michigan State's Jerel Worthy and Chandler Jones of Syracuse also could also hear their names called before the end of the first round.

In later rounds, the Steelers might take a look at Cincinnati's Derek Wolfe (6-5, 295) or Akiem Hicks (6-5, 318) of Regina College as defensive ends.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...ensive-linemen
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #16
Goldsteel86
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 16432
Thanked 1,213 Times in 648 Posts

ILB (Hightower) or OL, as long as "Big Snacks" is back why sign him with a first round pick, need someone who could step in and start now, hell need an ILB who can start tomorrow as bad as yesterday. Also by week 7 the OL will be patchwork, need to look at the obvious, Tomlin is sold on Hampton!
Goldsteel86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #17
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,981 Times in 1,018 Posts
My Mood: Fine

O-line! O-line! O-line! O-line!
We need the most help here.
Improve this unit and maybe we'll get to see what this O can really do.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldsteel86 View Post
ILB (Hightower) or OL, as long as "Big Snacks" is back why sign him with a first round pick, need someone who could step in and start now, hell need an ILB who can start tomorrow as bad as yesterday. Also by week 7 the OL will be patchwork, need to look at the obvious, Tomlin is sold on Hampton!
Do you actually think that Hightower would start this year?
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #19
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
Do you actually think that Hightower would start this year?
You beat me to it. I was about to post the same thing. It surprises me that so many people still havnt figured the Steelers drafting system out yet. They draft for the future not for immediate need. The last two years everyone was certain we would take a CB in the first because they thought we needed at least one. I'm not saying we will draft Poe bit I gurentee we draft a NT in one of the first 3 rounds and probrobably 1st or 2nd. Hampton will be done after this season and we need a replacement now because we don't like to start rookies unless there is a injury.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 PM   #20
Heinz Hitman
Water Boy

Member Number: 729

I would be ok with taking Poe if he falls to us, but I am not sure I would want to trade up to get him. We could get a NT in round 2 or 3 if we choose. I really like Alameda Ta'amu. Kind of shocked we didn't bring him in for a visit.

Yes, we still have Hampton, but the chances are pretty good that he will miss the first 6 games of the upcoming season. That coupled with the fact that he was less than impressive last year tells me that NT is a position of great need in this draft. McClendon is the only other NT on the roster.