Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2012, 10:53 AM   #11
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: 5 days before Draft Day. Who we getting?

If we trade up it will be for David Decastro. We tried to trade up last year for Mike Pouncey so it shows the urgency toward a Guard.

If Mark Barron were Earl Thomas or Eric Berry maybe we move up to take him, he is a far cry from both but just happens to be the best of a a very weak safety class this year.

My guess is Donta Hightower only because Cordy Glenn will be gone or I believe it will be Glenn.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I say OLB, NT and OL in the first 3 rounds. Obviously things change if a stud we can't pass on drops
Old 04-22-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,755 Times in 6,051 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I say OLB, NT and OL in the first 3 rounds. Obviously things change if a stud we can't pass on drops
I say ILB, OL and NT in the first 3 rounds with possibly a RB...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #14
LayingTheWoodley56
Starter

Member Number: 19023

Literally zero chance we draft a quarterback in the first round, or probably any round for that matter unless it's one of our seventh round picks. I thought everyone who cares enough to post on here would know that.

Ben easily has more than three years left. He has at least five good ones. We don't have to worry about his heir apparent until 3 or 4 drafts from now.
LayingTheWoodley56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #15
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 2,148 Times in 863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayingTheWoodley56 View Post
Literally zero chance we draft a quarterback in the first round, or probably any round for that matter unless it's one of our seventh round picks. I thought everyone who cares enough to post on here would know that.

Ben easily has more than three years left. He has at least five good ones. We don't have to worry about his heir apparent until 3 or 4 drafts from now.
Nick Foles reminds me a lot like Ben. Actually, almost identical. He's huge, 6'5, 243, can make things happen when the play breaks down and has a big arm. He is a carbon copy of Roethlisberger IMHO.

Not sure what we're thinking as far as future, but Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwhich (and Johnson and Smith) certainly isn't it. If Foles drops, I'd like for us to atleast take a look at him as Ben's future replacement but I know this isn't the draft to look hard at the QB position with life after Ben. Same with Troy. I think SS is a 3-4th round pick that we must keep our eye on.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
I say ILB, OL and NT in the first 3 rounds with possibly a RB...
that all depends on what the steelers do with Worilds. i heard they may try him at ILB'er this year. i dont know if its true. they brought up the comparission of him and Farrior. Farrior was an OLB with the Jets. the Jets gave up on him after 4 years and we took him and switched him to ILB and the rest is history. this is Worilds 3rd year and he has to do something or he is gone. we passed on Bowman and Lee for him which was a huge mistake in my mind. the steelers reached for him over a ILB because they thought they were stacked on the inside. imagine having one of them 2 on our team next to Timmons. it would be deadly.
anyway, i see us taking an OLB in the first 3. Hightower will be gone and if he isnt then Baltimore will trade up to 23 and grab him
Old 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,755 Times in 6,051 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
QB likely isn't even remotely on our radar in the first 4 or 5 picks, maybe even later in the draft next year.

Steelers weighing quarterback options

By Ralph N. Paulk
Tribune-Review

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

The top QBs for this week’s NFL Draft after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III:

Player, school Ht. Wt.

1. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M 6-4 221

2. Brandon Weeden, Okla. St. 6-4 220

3. Brock Osweiler, Arizona St. 6-7 242

4. Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. 6-3 214

5. Nick Foles, Arizona 6-5 240

6. Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 5-11 204

7. Case Keenum, Houston 6-1 210

8. Austin Davis, Southern Miss 6-2 220

9. Kellen Moore, Boise State 6-0 197

10. Dominique Davis, E. Carolina 6-3 215

The Steelers aren't likely to opt for a quarterback with either of their early-round picks, as there are greater needs, particularly on the offensive line.

Yet general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin face an inevitable reality about the team's quarterback situation — that two-time Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger has become increasingly vulnerable to injuries, in part, because an often-injured, sometimes unreliable offensive line has left his blind side exposed far too often.

Roethlisberger limped through part of last season with ankle and foot injuries that limited his effectiveness, especially in a key regular-season loss to San Francisco and a playoff defeat in Denver.

"Ben Roethlisberger has been getting hit and getting hit a lot," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "This is a team that needs a strong draft. They're a team you would argue is on the decline. If Ben is going to keep getting hit ... they've got to get better, especially on the offensive line."

More troublesome, however, is the uncertainty surrounding Roethlisberger's backups.

Byron Leftwich, the expected No. 2 when training camp begins, missed last season with a broken arm. Charlie Batch enters his 15th season, his 12th with the Steelers. And former third-stringer Dennis Dixon is pursuing the free-agent market.

Tomlin indicated during last month's owners meetings that the Steelers were interested in either drafting or acquiring a young quarterback. Two weeks later, the Steelers and Batch, 37, agreed to a one-year deal.

"We could add to that, be it the draft or free agency," Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed free agents Jerrod Johnson and Troy Smith earlier this year. Smith, a former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, spent three seasons with the Ravens.

Kiper projects that eight quarterbacks — including expected No. 1 Andrew Luck (Indianapolis) and No. 2 Robert Griffin III (Washington) — could be taken in the first two rounds. There's a chance a few first-round prospects could slip to the second round, including Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M, Brandon Weeden of Oklahoma State, Nick Foles of Arizona, Russell Wilson of Wisconsin and Kirk Cousins of Michigan State.

"We aren't going to take a quarterback in the first round," Colbert said. "But beyond that I would never close the door."

The Steelers, like most teams, will probably carry three quarterbacks on their roster next season. But Batch was Roethlisberger's only backup for much of last season with Leftwich on injured reserve and Dixon on the inactive list.

Even if the Steelers find a potential successor to Roethlisberger during the draft, they must address the more pressing issue of a thin offensive line.

"The offensive line right now is a problematic area," Kiper said. "The bottom line is there's only two set positions on that offensive line."

The Steelers have the 24th overall pick. Unless they negotiate a draft-day deal, they will have 10 picks, including three compensatory selections in the seventh round.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1070591-8...#ixzz1su1evwsE
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #18
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Trading up for DeCastro.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #19
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
that all depends on what the steelers do with Worilds. i heard they may try him at ILB'er this year. i dont know if its true. they brought up the comparission of him and Farrior. Farrior was an OLB with the Jets. the Jets gave up on him after 4 years and we took him and switched him to ILB and the rest is history. this is Worilds 3rd year and he has to do something or he is gone. we passed on Bowman and Lee for him which was a huge mistake in my mind. the steelers reached for him over a ILB because they thought they were stacked on the inside. imagine having one of them 2 on our team next to Timmons. it would be deadly.
anyway, i see us taking an OLB in the first 3. Hightower will be gone and if he isnt then Baltimore will trade up to 23 and grab him
that would piss me off

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Steel_Bus_24
Team Owner

Member Number: 2886
Thanked 1,281 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Trading up for DeCastro.
what would that take????

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote