Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #21
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,223 Times in 3,938 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: 5 days before Draft Day. Who we getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel_Bus_24 View Post
what would that take????

obviously that would all depend on how far we traded up for DeCastro, but let's theoretically say we pulled the trigger once he fell to #15...that would require us giving up our 1st and 2nd round draft choices.
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:18 AM   #22
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,133 Times in 468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Steelers weighing quarterback options

By Ralph N. Paulk
Tribune-Review

Published: Monday, April 23, 2012

The top QBs for this week’s NFL Draft after Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III:

Player, school Ht. Wt.

1. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M 6-4 221

2. Brandon Weeden, Okla. St. 6-4 220

3. Brock Osweiler, Arizona St. 6-7 242

4. Kirk Cousins, Michigan St. 6-3 214

5. Nick Foles, Arizona 6-5 240

6. Russell Wilson, Wisconsin 5-11 204

7. Case Keenum, Houston 6-1 210

8. Austin Davis, Southern Miss 6-2 220

9. Kellen Moore, Boise State 6-0 197

10. Dominique Davis, E. Carolina 6-3 215

The Steelers aren't likely to opt for a quarterback with either of their early-round picks, as there are greater needs, particularly on the offensive line.

Yet general manager Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin face an inevitable reality about the team's quarterback situation — that two-time Super Bowl winner Ben Roethlisberger has become increasingly vulnerable to injuries, in part, because an often-injured, sometimes unreliable offensive line has left his blind side exposed far too often.

Roethlisberger limped through part of last season with ankle and foot injuries that limited his effectiveness, especially in a key regular-season loss to San Francisco and a playoff defeat in Denver.

"Ben Roethlisberger has been getting hit and getting hit a lot," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said. "This is a team that needs a strong draft. They're a team you would argue is on the decline. If Ben is going to keep getting hit ... they've got to get better, especially on the offensive line."

More troublesome, however, is the uncertainty surrounding Roethlisberger's backups.

Byron Leftwich, the expected No. 2 when training camp begins, missed last season with a broken arm. Charlie Batch enters his 15th season, his 12th with the Steelers. And former third-stringer Dennis Dixon is pursuing the free-agent market.

Tomlin indicated during last month's owners meetings that the Steelers were interested in either drafting or acquiring a young quarterback. Two weeks later, the Steelers and Batch, 37, agreed to a one-year deal.

"We could add to that, be it the draft or free agency," Tomlin said.

The Steelers signed free agents Jerrod Johnson and Troy Smith earlier this year. Smith, a former Heisman Trophy winner at Ohio State, spent three seasons with the Ravens.

Kiper projects that eight quarterbacks — including expected No. 1 Andrew Luck (Indianapolis) and No. 2 Robert Griffin III (Washington) — could be taken in the first two rounds. There's a chance a few first-round prospects could slip to the second round, including Ryan Tannehill of Texas A&M, Brandon Weeden of Oklahoma State, Nick Foles of Arizona, Russell Wilson of Wisconsin and Kirk Cousins of Michigan State.

"We aren't going to take a quarterback in the first round," Colbert said. "But beyond that I would never close the door."

The Steelers, like most teams, will probably carry three quarterbacks on their roster next season. But Batch was Roethlisberger's only backup for much of last season with Leftwich on injured reserve and Dixon on the inactive list.

Even if the Steelers find a potential successor to Roethlisberger during the draft, they must address the more pressing issue of a thin offensive line.

"The offensive line right now is a problematic area," Kiper said. "The bottom line is there's only two set positions on that offensive line."

The Steelers have the 24th overall pick. Unless they negotiate a draft-day deal, they will have 10 picks, including three compensatory selections in the seventh round.

Read more: | TribLIVE | Pittsburgh http://triblive.com/sports/1070591-8...#ixzz1su1evwsE
I had a gut feeling and it overcame me today when I saw Nick Foles highlights (as posted above.) I think he'll drop the most, maybe 4th-5h round. If he's there, I'd take a pick on him at 5 or so. I would love to see a young QB groomed now.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
obviously that would all depend on how far we traded up for DeCastro, but let's theoretically say we pulled the trigger once he fell to #15...that would require us giving up our 1st and 2nd round draft choices.
he is not alan faneca and he isnt steve hutchinson, therefore i feel he is worth NO MORE than the 24th pick alone (if even that).

plus there are those who think zeiter is better.

like you, i'll pass on the whole "trade up" idea.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #24
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,374 Times in 2,279 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i wouldn't mind spending a #4 or #5 on a qb as long as there's more promise than dennis dixon
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:05 AM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Potential Steelers Draft Pick Sees Stock Climb

Will Steelers Take Alabama's Dont'a Hightower WIth 24th Pick?

April 23, 2012

MONTGOMERY, Ala. -- Dont'a Hightower insists he's right where he expected to be all along: A projected first-round NFL draft pick.

The former Alabama star just had to convince NFL teams that he was worth such an investment, and that he was fast enough to play middle linebacker at that level.

"I always knew I was going to be a first-round draft pick," Hightower said Friday. "That's the way I've always worked. I pride myself on going out and doing the best I can to the best of my ability. I might have started slow during the season but whenever my teammates needed me to make a play or make a call, I was always there and did my job.

"It's not about what the media thinks. It's about what the team thinks."

Teammates Trent Richardson, Mark Barron, Courtney Upshaw and Dre Kirkpatrick just had to prove their first-round projections were on the money before next week's draft.

Hightower needed to change a few minds.

ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay called Hightower "the guy I'm most surprised with" after studying tape in the weeks leading up to the draft.

"I think he's a Top 20 player in this draft," McShay said. "I know he had the knee injury (in 2009), and he doesn't have elite speed. But he's 265 pounds, somewhere in that range, great versus the inside run. Pass rusher that can get off the edge, which was an addition to his game this past year.

"It's not just something that he did that was cute to help out for Alabama this year."

Hightower's agent, Pat Dye Jr., thinks the 6-foot-2 linebacker has improved his stock by 20-25 spots since regular season's end.

Dye said the teams that have expressed the most interest in Hightower are the Chargers (No. 18), Bears (19), Titans (20) and Steelers (24). He said several teams who pick later with needs at linebackers and are high on him include the Ravens, Patriots and Giants.

He said teams have commented on his ability to line up at end in three-man fronts, like another client, the Dallas Cowboys' Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware.

Hightower was a finalist for four national awards last season and had career-highs in tackles (85) and sacks (four). He also was responsible for play calls and checks.

He capped the season with a sack in the BCS championship game against LSU, when coach Nick Saban and defensive coordinator Kirby Smart also gave him more freedom to get the front seven into the right formations with quick on-the-field judgments.

"(NFL officials) know coach Saban and they know coach Smart, and the fact that they gave me that much leeway in the national championship game against a big time team like that, kind of opened their eyes," Hightower said.

Hightower feels he's resolved uncertainty about whether he would be moved to defensive end because of his speed.

"All those questions are kind of in the past now about can I do it," he said. "It's more about am I going to be able to apply myself to learn a new playbook that's different from what I've known for four years.

"The defense I played in at Alabama is a lot more complex than a lot of defenses that a number of defenses in the NFL. A lot of teams have told me that."

Hightower was an almost instant starter for the Tide and a two-time team captain, but missed most of the 2009 national championship season with a knee injury. He opted not to seek another year of eligibility from the NCAA.

His Alabama coach doesn't think he had anything left to prove in college.

"I think that he's really done it all here," said Saban, a former NFL assistant and Miami Dolphins coach. "He's got a lot of diversity as a player because he's played a lot of different positions. I think he's going to offer the same thing at the next level - inside backer, nickel backer, defensive end, odd rusher. There's not very many other things that you can do, and I think he does all those things very well. He's very smart and has leadership qualities. I think people are starting to recognize that the more they're around him."

Read more: http://www.wtae.com/sports/30940295/...#ixzz1svnrpgjn
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 AM   #26
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
he is not alan faneca and he isnt steve hutchinson, therefore i feel he is worth NO MORE than the 24th pick alone (if even that).

plus there are those who think zeiter is better.

like you, i'll pass on the whole "trade up" idea.
i agree. if he fell to us i would take him but thats it. Luck, like Manning can make his lineman look better then they are with his quick release
Old 04-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
Duds
Water Boy

Member Number: 16115

My Thoughts..Offense

QUARTERBACKS--
I have seen varying reports on this. Some say they would like to get a guy to groom for down the road, others say they aren't thinking about it. Tomlin had dinner with Kirk Cousins (MSU) but I imagine he will be gone in the first three rounds and the Steelers won't get a chance at him. I am going to say they ignore this spot or pickup a guy like John Brantley (FLA) in the 7th round. Jerrod Johnson could be a backup for a few years to take Leftwich's place. I think there is a possibility we see a trade involving Dixon for a draft pick on draft day.

QB BUSTS:
1. Ryan Tannehill (A&M)
------------------------------------------------

RUNNING BACKS--
They will need to draft a back and I think if the guy they want is there in the 2nd or 3rd round they will grab him. Mendenhall will do nothing this year and Redman will have to carry the load. Dwyer is a bum, Moore is old, Batch could be a pleasant surprise as a third down back, but you still need a guy to split carries with Redman. I don't agree with LaMichael James being a possible pick. He is small and I don't think he translates well to be an NFL back. He was a product of the Oregon offense. They are pumped for Isaiah Pead (CIN). I think Craig mentioned Bernard Pierce from Temple, I think that would be a solid pick too. They aren't going to find some stud in the this draft class though. Richardson is the only one out there.

RB BUSTS:
1. LaMichael James (ORE)

FULLBACKS--
No longer important

FB BUSTS:
None
-------------------------------------------------

WIDE RECEIVERS--
Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and a bunch of no-names. Wallace is gone after next year so they will need to get a young guy this draft. They have the possesion guy in Cotchery, the solid all around guy in Sanders, the speedster and short guy in Brown. I think if they can find a bigger target they get him. All the first and second round guys will be gone and I think they use a 3rd rounder on one possibly. Brian Quick (App St) is 6'4". Juron Criner (ARI) is 6'3". Stephen Hill (GT) is 6'4". Or maybe they get the best one available regardless of size and get T.Y. Hilton (FIU) in the 3rd or 4th round. I like Mohamed Sanu (RUT), very proven over three years. He will go probably in the 2nd round though. Steelers have always been good at finding solid guys in the draft. I expect them to add a very good player at some point.

WR BUSTS:
1. Michael Floyd (ND)
2. Reuben Randle (LSU)
-------------------------------------------------

TIGHT ENDS--
With the signing of Pope, I think TE has moved down the scale of need. Haley likes him and with him and Miller, plus Saunders after his suspension and David Johnson as a hybrid guy, they have some good players here. I think the unknown is what Haley wants to do. Does he want a stud 2 TE offense like the Pats? Or is he fine with what they have. Alot of people have mentioned Coby Fleener (STAN), so that would be a 1st-2nd round pick. There seem to be alot of good sized athletic guys available and over the last few years teams haven't had to draft high to find them. Maybe the Steelers have their eye on someone and can get him in 4th-5th round. I have read some good things about Ladarius Green (ULL).

TE BUSTS:
None
--------------------------------------------------

OFFENSIVE TACKLES--
Gilbert and Colon are a good pair but who know with Colon's injuries. Steelers don't need to overreach here just to say they got a Tackle in the first three rounds. Mike Adams (OSU) is a bust to be. Maybe Mitchell Schwartz from Cal could be a good one to get?

OT BUSTS:
1. Mike Adams (OSU)
2. Riley Reiff (IOWA)
--------------------------------------------------

GUARDS--
If I was the Steelers I would try and trade up and get David DeCastro from Stanford. I think he is a guy you could plug in for 12 years and be the next Faneca. You would have 3/5 of your OL set for years to come to protect Big Ben. Alot of people have Cordy Glenn (UGA) going to the Steelers. I guess that would be a solid pick too. I think Kelechi Osemele (ISU) would be a good pick as well. Kevin Zeitler (WIS) has been moving up people's boards lately too. There are alot of good options at this position and the Steelers need one early pick and maybe even one mid round pick on one.

OG BUSTS:
None

CENTERS--
No need to draft one with a future hall of famer at that position for the next 12 years.

CENTER BUSTS:
None
Old 04-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #28
Duds
Water Boy

Member Number: 16115

My thoughts--Defense

DEFENSIVE ENDS--
Steelers are set with Hood and Heyward in the future, and Keisel is still playing at a high level. It wouldn't hurt to add another guy here to get some good depth and maybe even a guy who could contribute in a year or two. Jared Crick (NEB) is a typical Steeler guy but he is injury prone. Billy Winn (BSU) is a guy I have heard good things about but will probably be gone by the third round. Cam Johnson (UVA) visited the Steelers.

DE BUSTS:
1. Quinton Coples (UNC)
2. Whitney Mercilus (ILL)
--------------------------------------------

DEFENSIVE TACKLES--
With only an injured and old Hampton and Steve McLendon this is a need, but don't waste a high pick. I am off the Poe bandwagon and don't think he is worth that high of a pick. Jerel Worthy (MSU) is a proven guy from the Big Ten. Jim Wexell pointed out Mike Martin (MICH) as a late round guy in the Chris Hoke mold. I can see them getting the Samoan from Washington, Alameda Ta'amu. Or even Akiem Hicks (Regina). I think Derek Wolfe from Cincinnati also visited with the Steelers.

DT BUSTS:
1. Michael Brockers (LSU)
2. Dontari Poe (Memphis)
---------------------------------------------

INSIDE LINEBACKERS--
I think if Hightower is available he will be a Steeler, which is what most people think. If they choose to wait until later I like James-Michael Johnson (NEV) and Mychal Kendricks (CAL) in the middle rounds. I read some stuff on Bobby Wagner from Utah State who is 6'0" 249 and would be a good pickup. I'm not sure what their plans are for Sylvester, I read that he is not even close to being ready to handle the Buck position and make the calls. Foote is in his 11th year. Not much time left.

ILB BUSTS:
1. Vontaze Burfict (ASU)

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS--
Not a big need for Steelers. Maybe they will pick one if there is just someone too good to pass up as the draft goes on.

OLB BUSTS:
1. Melvin Ingram (SC)
-----------------------------------------------

CORNERBACKS--
Steelers have some good depth here for once in Taylor, Allen, Brown, Lewis. Taylor is in his 10th year so the writing is on the wall for him. Will probably draft some special teams guys in the later rounds.

CB BUSTS:
1. Alfonzo Dennard (NEB)
2. Cliff Harris (ORE)

SAFETIES--
I read somewhere that teams are going to be trading up for Mark Barron (ALA) because the talent pool really drops after him. I think the Steelers are fine for now with Polamalu, Clark, Mundy, Allen, and maybe even Myron Rolle can beat out Allen and make the team. They will probably draft a guy to be a special teams guy for them in the later rounds.

SAFETY BUSTS:
None
Old 04-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #29
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

I wouldn't mind Dan Persa, QB - Northwestern being added to our training camp roster.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Vinny Curry among potential second-round steals in 2012 draft

By Charley Casserly NFL Network
Published: April 20, 2012

By now, you've read plenty of analysis on the projected first-round selections in the 2012 NFL Draft. But there will be plenty of talent left over after the first 32 picks on Thursday night.

The following six prospects (in alphabetical order) could be steals in Round 2. These are the value picks I would be ecstatic to make next Friday evening.

Vinny Curry, DE, Marshall: Curry's best asset is his pass-rush ability. Even though he posted 40 times only in the 4.8 range, he has fine skills to get after the quarterback. Curry is quick off the ball with a natural bend ability in rushing the passer. He has good strength and definite bull-rush ability. He displays good hand use, as well as an effective inside move. Curry also played the run fairly well at Marshall, using his leverage and strength to effectively shed blocks.

Coby Fleener, TE, Stanford: As one of Andrew Luck's go-to options over the past few years, Fleener showcased natural hands and an ability to make the difficult catch. He is a big target at 6-foot-6, which should help his QB in the league. Fleener's smooth in his routes and gets good separation off cuts. He will be adequate as a blocker in the NFL because of a nice competitive streak and good balance. I believe he will be the first tight end off the board, so he could sneak into the first round. Regardless, he can help a team's passing game as a rookie.

Doug Martin, RB, Boise State: I have him rated as this draft class' No. 2 running back (behind Trent Richardson). Martin's a fine all-around back with the tools to succeed at the next level. He's a physical inside runner who has good vision and can accelerate through the hole. On outside plays he can stretch it to the corner and has a good feel of when to cut it up. In the passing game, he displays good hands and is an effective runner after the catch.

Amini Silatolu, OG, Midwestern State: Silatolu lined up at offensive tackle in college, but I think his athletic ability makes him a better guard prospect for the NFL game. He's a powerful player who dominated Division II, knocking overmatched counterparts off the ball. In addition to his physical nature, he's also very good at pulling and blocking in space. He shows enough foot quickness to pass protect at effectively at the guard position. At the NFL Scouting Combine, he displayed the athletic movement to play in the NFL. In fact, he moved as well as any of the offensive lineman in Indianapolis during drills.

Harrison Smith, S, Notre Dame: Smith has very good size (6-2, 213 pounds) and speed (4.57) for the position. I like his range and instincts against the run and pass. He is aggressive against the run, but must do a better job of breaking down before attempting to tackle a ball carrier. Even though there is some tightness to him, I believe he will be able to cover most tight ends because of his speed.

Kevin Zeitler, OG, Wisconsin: Zeitler is a classic Wisconsin lineman: a strong and physical blocker. He can move defenders and sustains blocks very well at the line of scrimmage. He also does an above-average job of sustaining blocks in space. He moves his feet well as a pass blocker, sliding to mirror the defender. He can effectively anchor against the bull rush. Zeitler has also worked out as a center during the pre-draft process.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...-in-2012-draft