Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #21
Timbo
Water Boy

Member Number: 20505
Default Re: Steelers might turn corner with younger secondary

Quote:
Dude, no offense, get laid, rub one out or something, that s**t is too deep.
Dude, you should see me, as long as it's Harrison I'll put my Woodley in her Taylor, Bro. Fist bump me!
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Believe it! The only that is ridiculous is your ignorant stupidity.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #23
Steelers5895
Starter

Member Number: 23994

Our secondary was solid last year. You dont see many big plays against them. Cant expect them to always stop the 10-12 yard plays. They held up well with minimal QB pressures. In fact I think our LB coverage was worse last year than our db coverage
Steelers5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 PM   #24
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Secondary play was fine, even though they were put in some tough situations with the offensinve turnovers. We had good overall coverage last year.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #25
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers5895 View Post
Our secondary was solid last year. You dont see many big plays against them. Cant expect them to always stop the 10-12 yard plays. They held up well with minimal QB pressures. In fact I think our LB coverage was worse last year than our db coverage
Some truth to that. I suspect that if the other seven had provided more consistent pressure, the DBs would have had the TOs Mesa's looking for. But when any starting QB in the league has all day to throw, he's going to complete passes.

A lot of the problem, though, was injuries, not personnel nor schemes. How many games did Harrison and Woodley miss?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #26
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Indeed, quite a few. Harrison was not even 100% for the first 4 games and then he missed 5 more games due to injury and suspension. Woodley was never the same after the first half of the season because he didn't have enough time to recover. I suspect that the front 7 will have a better year this year than last year, though due to sheer odds, the secondary will probably not be as successful as last year, because they threw up several statistically significant numbers up last season.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #27
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

With influence of the younger guys our Secondary made a nice step in becoming an Good/Great unit.......

There +s and - to look at when judging last years unit

+
Held up well despite our LBs being hurt every other game....which really hurt our Pass Rush and Turnover Opportunties

-
I said this during the year, but look at the Qbs we faced....not exactly elite
Plus we were extremely fortunate, and caught many teams last year with their #1 WRs out.....

So again we made a nice step last year, and I think/hope we are decently better unit then the one that got trashed in SB XLV.......but we are probably another gem away from being an elite unit.....an will have to prove we can hold up against consistent High Level Qbs this year

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 AM   #28
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

No secondary ever holds up consistently against elite passers.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #29
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
No secondary ever holds up consistently against elite passers.
You mean like Tim Tebow?

Sorry... had to say it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:55 AM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,265 Times in 3,961 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Ready to battle for corner spot

Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The minute unrestricted free agent Will Gay signed with the Arizona Cardinals this offseason, Keenan Lewis set his sights set on one thing and one thing only winning Gays vacated starting left cornerback spot in the Steelers secondary.

I just have to step up, said Lewis. I have to do what I have been doing. I have to improve what I did last year. Instead of just coming in on third down, I want to be out there on first, second and third down. I am really excited for the opportunity and I know its going to go the right way.

Lewis is hard at work training in an effort to attain that goal, taking part in voluntary workouts at the teams practice facility on a regular basis to ensure he is in the best shape possible to face the challenge of fighting for a starting spot.

I have been working on my conditioning, just getting ready for the opportunity to go 60 minutes on the field, said Lewis. I want to be in shape, in top-notch shape so when I get to camp I am ready to get going, off and running.

Lewis, who is entering his fourth season, saw the most extensive playing time of his career last year playing in all 16 games and making his first career start against Indianapolis in the nickel package.

It helped a lot getting a feel for wide receivers and what quarterbacks are thinking, said Lewis. It helps you with your maturity level and learning the game more. It helps being out there on the field because you see more things. Instead of watching it on tape or in practice only, you see different receivers, what offensive coordinators do to try and beat defenses and you become more familiar with that.

Now I am a step ahead and excited for the upcomoing season.

Lewis will have some competition for the job, with second-year cornerbacks Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown both expected to be in the mix as well.

I just need to keep doing what I do, said Lewis. I just have to get better. I am going to take whatever they have for me and embrace it and get better at that. I know right now its my time. I have to get better and better every day. I work hard and I know God will reward me for my hard work.

Those two young guys are good guys who have a lot of potential and skills, so I know its going to be a battle. I am just trying to be one of the top ones in the bunch.

Brown played in 12 games as a rookie, seeing action only on special teams. Allen played in 15 games, on special teams and in defensive packages, gaining valuable experience as a rookie that he hopes plays in his favor in the battle for the starting position.

That was the goal last year, the goal this year, and the goal always to be a starter and contribute wherever coach (Dick) LeBeau and defensive staff feel I am best at, said Allen. I am going in there to give my best and everything else should fall into place.

The playing time I got last year helps a lot because I got a chance to get in-game experience and see what its like to be in that arena not just on special teams but on defense. Gaining a little bit of confidence from your teammates is always a plus too because they have seen me out there and know what I can do. They have confidence in me as well as the coaching staff. That helped a lot as far as the mental and physical standpoint, just getting a feel for the game. I am just looking to improve on that this year.

Despite being young, and not having the starting experience at this high of a level playing collegiately at The Citadel, Allen is confident he can handle the responsibility that comes with playing cornerback in the NFL.

That is why I do it, said Allen. I love the position. Its a position that carries a lot of pressure, a lot of weight on your shoulders. Its very competitive. I love the competitiveness of it. I am in here, focused and ready to learn from as many people as I can so I can contribute as best as I can. I think I am making progress mentally and working on the physical part of it now.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...4-3be75b047c66
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote