Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-23-2012, 09:41 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Nose Tackles with Flaws aplenty

After reading Bouchette's article today It really confirmed what I had been thinking all along. That every NT candidate in this year's draft has many flaws including the one teams think the most of, Dontari Poe. There is really no safe pick and most are going to be just average in the long run. So what are the Steelers to do?

With Hampton back one more year and McClendon possibly being able to play the position at a high level, they may be better off holding off on selecting one early and go with a few guys late.

As suggested by many on this forum Hebron Fangupo might make an excellent 5th round pick but other teams will want him that round as well. Even he comes with his share of negatives.

So I say take your chances on two guys that may not get drafted at all.

Nicolas Jean Baptiste
who many including myself had going as early as the 3rd round.

And a real dark horse candidate

Ishmaa’ily Kitchen, NT Kent State
6' 1" 334lbs
Bench press: 35
40 time 5.35
Vertical jump 31"

The Steelers were represented at his pro day with several other teams.

Unless a Josh Chapman falls to them in the 3rd I really wouldn't trust any of the other candidates until late..
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts
Default Re: Nose Tackles with Flaws aplenty

Media is mostly gloom and doomers anyways, so dont read too much into their analysis.

I think Ta'amu is the best pure NT in the draft. Chapman would be next, if the knee checks out medically OK. Fangopu moves well for a big man and occupies blockers well. Poe might be the real question mark.....freakish athlete, obviously will put in the work in the weight room and practice, but where was the on field production??

I'm still hoping that Ta'amu somehow ends up as a Steeler.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #3
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Media is mostly gloom and doomers anyways, so dont read too much into their analysis.

I think Ta'amu is the best pure NT in the draft. Chapman would be next, if the knee checks out medically OK. Fangopu moves well for a big man and occupies blockers well. Poe might be the real question mark.....freakish athlete, obviously will put in the work in the weight room and practice, but where was the on field production??

I'm still hoping that Ta'amu somehow ends up as a Steeler.
i agree. i really like him
Old 04-23-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,422 Posts

this guys got flaws so maybe they should skip him....

Quote:
Negatives... Shorter than ideal and this causes problems when trying to fill the rush lanes and the center gets assistance in blocking him out...Can push the pocket, but seems to lack the closing burst needed to get to the quarterback consistently...His size could be a problem in a two-gap system...While he delivers punishing hand swipes in closed quarters, he can get reckless while operating in space...Does not possess sustained speed, working better in the short area...Arms are shorter than ideal (31 ½-inch length)... Needs to lose some bulk to increase his stamina.
oh wait...too late...thats fat snacks scouting report coming out of texas. i guess he overcame his hieght and short arms...

the point is very few players coming out of college , with the exception of some top 3 picks, have a list of negatives assigned to them by the "experts". other wise everybody would be NFL ready out of the box. thats why the interview process is tricky. they got to find out how "coachable" a player is. all the physical talent in the world won't help a hard headed undisciplined player that bucks the system (see albert haynesworth ).

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by MasterOfPuppets; 04-23-2012 at 02:51 PM.
MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Steel_Bus_24
Team President

Member Number: 2886

I still say Hightower FTW

try to find a NT gem later

Poe scares the hell out of me......Too much Bust or Boom for me

The comparisons to Ngata should be taken very cautiously......Ngata had many more tackles and impact plays throughout his college campaign..........Poe was considerably more silent in Con USA

Also Known as SteelerSpartan
Steel_Bus_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #6
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,333 Times in 1,422 Posts

meh...nothin to get scared about. other teams wiff on first rounders all the time. they recover. now that their salaries have been greatly reduced, teams can gamble on prospects without the fear of financial repercussions.
nobody is comparing poe's game to ngata's , . they are only comparing his stature and athleticism. any interested parties are well aware of the risks involved. no risk , no reward.
tom brady didn't exactly light it up in college. james harrison wasn't feared by qb's in college.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:10 AM   #7
bcs8484
Water Boy

Member Number: 3228

It's true all the nt have flaws. The one I really don't want is Poe to me he has bust written all over him. I wouldn't touch him with a 100 foot pole. Ta'amu Is the best pure nt in the draft , Id be all for getting him in the second if he is avaiable. Chapman has the expierance playing nt but is coming off a injury but I like him and belive he'll be a solid pro. A guy im interested in if we cant get the other two would be Nick Jean-Baptiste, DT/NT, Baylor He really looks good with alot of upside and would fit in nice in a rotation with hampton and mcclendon untill eventually taking over.
bcs8484 is offline   Reply With Quote