Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,082 Times in 4,316 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Team needs: Pittsburgh Steelers

Team needs: Pittsburgh Steelers

Posted by Mike Florio on April 20, 2012

During the 2012 season, the Steelers will be wearing jerseys from the 1934 season. Thatís appropriate, given that they have more than their fair share of players who are or soon will be 34. Several of the teamís older players have already retired. More will within the next few years. The time is now to find young players who will provide the foundation for the Steelers in the not-too-distant future.

Guard: The Steelers have had incredible success on offense, in light of their struggles along the offensive line. Of course, it helps to have a quarterback who can extend plays with uncanny agility, in light of his Sasquatch size. Now that the Steelers want Roethlisberger to spent less time maneuvering and more time getting rid of the ball, they need to find a way to beef up the line. Though upgrades are necessary at both tackle and guard, the more pressing need arises to the immediate left and immediate right of center Maurkice Pouncey, especially if the Steelers plan to push the pile and run the football.

Nose tackle: Chris Hoke is gone and Casey Hampton could soon follow him. Despite talk that Ziggy Hood could move from defensive end back to the position he was drafted to play, the ideal solution would be to get a true nose tackle.

Running back: Even if Rashard Mendenhall can return for 2012, his long-term future with the team looks bleak. With plenty of quality tailbacks available in latter rounds of the draft, or after the draft ends, this would be a perfect year for the Steelers to find another Willie Parker.

Safety: On Thursday, Troy Polamalu celebrated his 31st birthday. Though Polamalu never has mused about retirement, heís closer to the end of his career than the beginning. And he seems like the kind of guy who wonít hint about walking away. Heíll be done when heís done, without warning or angst or comebacks. The Steelers can prepare by trying to find in the middle of the draft a guy who possibly can develop into Polamaluís successor. Given the dramatic impact that Polamaluís absence has on the defense, the Steelers need to start thinking about the day when heíll be gone for good.

Wide Receiver: The Steelers gambled during free agency, using the restricted free agency tender and not the franchise tag on receiver Mike Wallace. Next year, theyíll face the same dilemma with receiver Antonio Brown, the teamís MVP in 2011 ó and Wallace will be an unrestricted free agent. The time is now to find another steal, like Wallace was in round three and Brown was in round six.

The Steelers are dealing with as much turmoil and transition as theyíve seen in recent years. Players who played key roles in a pair of Super Bowl wins are gone, and more will be going in the coming years. The team needs to find a way to ensure that the batons will pass smoothly, and to always be ready and able to move on from a player one year too early, instead of doing it one day too late.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...gh-steelers-2/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:26 AM   #2
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936
Default Re: Team needs: Pittsburgh Steelers

As much as I have said ILB is not a big deal right now and how much I am against Hightower, inside linebacker is a need unless we have 100 percent confidence in Sylvester, even if it is to find depth behind him. It can wait until the end of this season but not any longer than that. I feel we will be proactive in finding one and take him with our first 4 picks this year.
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

I would prioritize needs as follows, but that doesn't mean not to draft as many positions as you can get with QB and CB being the ones I believe could be skipped this year.

G -needed the most in my opinion.
OT -Gilbert (unproven on the left), Colon (injuries), Scott (laughable) we at least need a swing guy.
NT -still have Hampton coming back, but need a future guy
ILB -still have 2 maybe 3 in camp we could get by with.
RB -infusion of speed and a test to see if we still need Mendenhall.
S -injuries and age to starters so we should have an heir.
OLB -always looking to groom one, but have 2 backups that still have one year to prove themselves.
WR -4 strong now, but it is precarious with an injury or two plus who knows what the future holds.
TE -Will get a body in camp to compete and learn, but still believe in Saunders.
DE -would just be a 4th body on gamedays and provide quality depth.
K - this in relationship to a pick in the draft, they can get one as a UDFA unless there is a guy who is great.
CB - 3 really good promising young guys to go with Ike now. 4 strong so don't need one.
QB -really not needed with Batch, Troy Smith and a 4th arm Johnson in camp
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #4
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Steelers can't just "get by" with an avg ILB. The whole defense is built around quality LB's.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Steelers can't just "get by" with an avg ILB. The whole defense is built around quality LB's.
I do agree another star player at inside linebacker would be nice, but we have gotten by with Larry Foote for years and won a super bowl and we have gotten by with Farrior late in his career and gotten to another super bowl. I'm just emphasizing that a 2nd ILB should be picked but it doesn't have to be the #1 choice at all costs. I do list iILB as 4th most urgent, and I would hope for at least a pick there in the first 3-4 rounds.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,774 Times in 2,937 Posts

Quote:
The team needs to find a way to ensure that the batons will pass smoothly, and to always be ready and able to move on from a player one year too early, instead of doing it one day too late.
FLORIO is a moron. The Steelers wrote the book on this... where the hell has he been?
Old 04-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

OMFG FLORIO THE SKY IS FALLING THE SKY IS FALLING.....

12-4 last year with one of the worst scoring Offenses in the league... cut that down to the top 12 and you have a SB winner.

But I digress...

THE SKY IS FALLING.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

NFL Mock Draft: Pittsburgh Steelers & AFC North

April 19, 2012
By: Tony Meale

AFC North

Steelers

The Steelers enter the offseason with more questions than usual:

Will Mike Wallace be back? How will Ben Roethlisberger and Todd Haley get along? How will the franchise cope without former mainstays Chris Kemoeatu and James Farrior, among others?

And yet, Pittsburgh has two bigger questions that need answering: Can Big Ben stay upright? And who is carrying the ball?

Big Ben is one of the game’s elite quarterbacks, and his freelancing style of play has helped the Steelers to three Super Bowl appearances in less than a decade. But Roethlisberger, who just turned 30, still takes way too many hits. Part of that is the result of the way he plays; the other – and maybe bigger – part is the offensive line. Doug Legursky, Maurkice Pouncey, and Willie Colon are solid, but the Steelers would be wise to draft Ohio State’s Mike Adams if he’s available at Pick 24.

The tailback situation is even more tenuous. Rashard Mendenhall’s bum knee might cost him the entire season, and Isaac Redman – with one career start – is first in line to get the bulk of the carries. In other words, the Steelers need a running back. Investing a second-round selection in Boise State’s Doug Martin would be worth it.

Ravens

For all the talk about how the Ravens are getting old – and they are – they still came within one dropped pass of the Super Bowl last year. It shouldn’t surprise anyone if Baltimore comes that close again or goes even further, but if the Ravens are going to do it with Ray Lewis, it needs to be this year or next.

In the past, Baltimore has typically been more concerned with drafting the best player available than with filling needs – and it’s hard to argue with the success that strategy has produced. But seriously, can the Ravens get a receiver?

Joe Flacco, believe it or not, is a good quarterback. A 48-24 record. Two trips to the AFC Championship. At least one playoff win every year. Two wins over the Steelers last season.

Yeah, not bad.

As for Ray Rice, call me crazy, but he’s the best running back in football. He can run, he can catch, he can pass-protect – and unlike Arian Foster and now Adrian Peterson – he’s durable.

The Baltimore defense, meanwhile, is the Baltimore defense. Depth is a concern at a spot or two, but with Ray Lewis and Ed Reed, you know this unit is going to be Super Bowl-caliber come playoff time.

But back to receivers. Anquan Boldin is good, but he’s 32 and he can’t do it alone. He led the Ravens in catches last year despite missing two games. Torrey Smith has game-breaking speed – and that’s certainly a good thing to have – but he’s more of a burner than a receiver.

After that, who do we have? Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson? Those guys won’t lose games, but they aren’t going to win them, either.

A wideout like Stephen Hill would be a good first-round pick, but the Ravens will likely draft defense (think Alabama linebacker Dont’a Hightower) or invest in the trenches (think Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams). Neither pick would be bad, but it wasn’t a linebacker or an offensive lineman that cost the Ravens a trip to the Super Bowl last year.

It was a receiver.

Browns

The Browns need offense. A lot.

In 2011, Cleveland went 0-6 against the AFC North, 1-7 on the road and scored 20+ points just twice.

Yes, the Browns are that bad.

Which is why selecting Morris Claiborne fourth overall – as some say the Browns should do – is a tad perplexing. Sure, he could be a staple of the Cleveland secondary for the next decade, but the Browns had statistically the second best pass defense in football last season. The offense was 29th.

Provided the Browns don’t trade the fourth pick, they should take Trent Richardson. Running backs have become devalued in recent years, but there’s no denying Richardson’s beastly tendencies – and his sub-4.5 40. He’s a tough, pass-catching, between-the-tackles runner who could be the heart and soul of a team that desperately needs, well, a heart and soul.

The football fan in me would like to see the Browns draft Justin Blackmon at 4 and Brandon Weeden at 22, but Cleveland appears interested in Ryan Tannenhill. Plus, there will be decent wideout options at Pick 22, including Kendall Wright.

If the Browns do draft Tannenhill, what becomes of Colt McCoy? Does Cleveland simply give up on him? McCoy has been far from impressive, but in his defense, who exactly has he had to throw to? I’m not saying McCoy is the quarterback of the future, but Browns fans should take McCoy’s performance thus far with at least a slight grain of salt – because he has no pieces around him.

If I’m Cleveland, I go RB/WR in the first round to give McCoy some weapons. With three of the top 37 picks – and 13 overall – the Browns can draft a quarterback later if they so choose.

Bengals

The Bengals boast three of the top 53 picks, including two of the top 21 – thanks largely to the coup owner Mike Brown pulled off by unloading the cantankerous Carson Palmer to the Raiders. Cincinnati went from worst in the AFC North in 2010 to a playoff team in 2011, and the pieces are in place for the Bengals to make a playoff push in 2012.

Cornerback and wide receiver are among the Bengals’ most pressing needs, but don’t be surprised if they draft an offensive lineman in the first round – either Stanford’s David DeCastro or Georgia’s Cordy Glenn. Protecting Andy Dalton, who showed great promise as a rookie, is a top priority, but so too is opening holes for BenJarvus Green-Ellis, whose acquisition from New England may have been one of the offseason’s more underrated transactions. Cedric Benson had his moments in Cincy (three straight 1,000-yard seasons) but was at times unreliable (12 fumbles the last two years).

While it appears Mike Wallace will re-sign with Pittsburgh, the Bengals should be doing everything they can to get him. A.J. Green, who last year averaged 16.3 yards per catch and tallied 43 first-down receptions, was phenomenal as a rookie, but the Bengals lack a true No. 2. Jordan Shipley and Jermaine Gresham are solid pass-catchers, but it would behoove the Bengals to draft at least one wideout. Michael Floyd is an option if he were to fall to Pick 17, but there are too many solid secondary options to pass up on, including Dre Kirkpatrick and Stephen Gilmore.

While Pittsburgh and Baltimore remain the class of the division, Cincinnati has unquestionably the brightest future – not to mention the potential to win the AFC North.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/...ers-afc-north/
Old 04-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #9
MrAustin412
Water Boy

Member Number: 18458

Check out http://www.fourthandtwelve.com/ for some quick stuff on the Steelers Draft needs and guys who actually came in for visits and stuff. Looking forward to tomorrow!
MrAustin412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAustin412 View Post
Check out http://www.fourthandtwelve.com/ for some quick stuff on the Steelers Draft needs and guys who actually came in for visits and stuff. Looking forward to tomorrow!

thank you very much for posting this link, I found it to be very well-written and informative!