Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old Yesterday, 09:37 AM   #1
Born2Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky
Default Question for hunters

I'm looking into buying a hunting rifle. I grew up hunting with my grandfather but stopped when I got old enough to drive, and got a car, job, hang out buddies, girls, etc....Now, my 12 year old has told me he wants me to teach him about hunting. I learned with a 30/30 rifle. I'm shopping for rifles and I have found a pretty large assortment of prices for what seems to be the same rifle. As far as a 30/30 goes, what is a good price to pay new, and any manufacturers to stay away from? Thanks for the help.
Old Yesterday, 12:32 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,435 Times in 2,376 Posts
Default Re: Question for hunters

Not sure which ones to stay away from. I learned with a 32 Win. Special and still have it today. Can't go wrong with a Winchester. You might want to look at Henry rifles they're nice rifles too, I bought one for my son and it's a pretty sweet little rifle. Price wise shop around and find the best deal you could order one online and have it shipped to one of your local FFL dealers and do the paper work there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MACH1 For This Useful Post:
Born2Steel (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #3
Born2Steel
Team Captain

Member Number: 25772
My Mood: Sneaky

I've seen them priced from $300-$600. Just not sure why the wide variance in price for the same rifle. Could be number of rounds it will hold, or type of sites, or maybe just the finish on the wood. I don't remember the manufacturer of my old one. It was sold 20-25 years ago. The local sporting goods store here has a couple priced around $350. I just don't want to end up with something made with inferior parts and have something break that could injure the shooter.
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #4
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,435 Times in 2,376 Posts

Yeah not sure about the difference in price, might be a walnut stock vs. a pre fab stock, different type of sights? Myself I would stay away from the questionable manufactures and get something a bit nicer for his first rifle. He's going to remember and cherish this for the rest of his life and possibly hand it down to his children.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote