Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 07-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default 2008 Presidential Candidates

In under a year and a half, this country will elect its 44th President. There are quite a few names out there representing both the GOP and the Democratic party, and I have listed some of them below. Most of them have political track records and are well known (some positively and some negatively) but there are a few in each party that I am not as familiar with, as I am sure is the case with some of you. as well.

I was a registered Democrat for most of my adult life and finally realized that most of my ideals just don't fall in line with the Democratic Party. In late 2003, I changed over to the GOP and have not regretted my decision. However, I do not vote strictly in accordance with party lines and I never have. I give every candidate fair consideration while taking a good hard look at their platform, their positions on abortion, the death penalty, taxes, etc., weighing their pros and cons and vote accordingly. Over the years, I have been involved in numerous campaigns representing both parties and am going to continue to keep an open (but cautious) mind when it comes to voting for a candidate to hold the highest office in the land.

Who, in your opinion, has a legitimate shot at becoming our next President? If any of you can share some knowledge of a candidate from your particular state, it would be most appreciated. Thus far, those who have expressed interest are as follows:

Possible Democrat Candidates:

John Edwards (former North Carolina Senator)
Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York Senator)
Al Gore (former Vice President)
John F. Kerry (Massachusetts Senator)
Joe Biden (Delaware Senator)
Wesley Clark (Retired General)
Howard Dean (DNC Chairman)
Bill Richardson (New Mexico Governor)
Tom Daschle (Former South Dakota Senator)
Russ Feingold (Wisconsin Senator)
Mike Warner (former Virginia Governor)
Dennis Kucenich (Ohio Congressman)
Tom Vilsack (Iowa Governor)

Possible Republican Candidates:

Rudy Giuliani (former New York City Mayor)
Condoleezza Rice (U.S. Secretary of State)
John McCain (Arizona Senator)
Newt Gingrich (former Speaker of the House)
Jeb Bush (Florida Governor)
Bill First (Tennessee Senator)
George Allen (Virginia Senator)
George Pataki (New York Govenor)
Mitt Romney (Massachusetts Governor)
Mike Huckabee (Arkansas Governor)
Sam Brownback (Kansas Senator)

For me, a resounding NO is given to all of the Demos except for Bill Richardson, Russ Feingold and Dennis Kucenich, as I don't know enough about them to make a fair assessment. A big NO is also given to all of the GOP'rs except for Rudy Giuliani (he is my frontrunner right now), John McCain (my jury is still out on him, as I feel he rides the fence a little too much), George Allen, Mike Huckabee and Sam Brownback. Again, I simply do not know enough about Allen, Huckabee and Brownback to give them a fair shake.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:49 AM   #2
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2290
Default Re: 2008 Presidential Candidates

Well I don't like to favor one side. I think both Dems and Reps are shady. I think alot of the problem in this country is just having really two major political parties to choose from. I voted in the last election and I probally will vote in the next one. I'm just glad come 2008 George W. Bush will be out of the White House.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:03 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal
In under a year and a half, this country will elect its 44th President. There are quite a few names out there representing both the GOP and the Democratic party, and I have listed some of them below. Most of them have political track records and are well known (some positively and some negatively) but there are a few in each party that I am not as familiar with, as I am sure is the case with some of you. as well.

I was a registered Democrat for most of my adult life and finally realized that most of my ideals just don't fall in line with the Democratic Party. In late 2003, I changed over to the GOP and have not regretted my decision. However, I do not vote strictly in accordance with party lines and I never have. I give every candidate fair consideration while taking a good hard look at their platform, their positions on abortion, the death penalty, taxes, etc., weighing their pros and cons and vote accordingly. Over the years, I have been involved in numerous campaigns representing both parties and am going to continue to keep an open (but cautious) mind when it comes to voting for a candidate to hold the highest office in the land.

Who, in your opinion, has a legitimate shot at becoming our next President? If any of you can share some knowledge of a candidate from your particular state, it would be most appreciated. Thus far, those who have expressed interest are as follows:

Possible Democrat Candidates:

John Edwards (former North Carolina Senator)
Hillary Rodham Clinton (New York Senator)
Al Gore (former Vice President)
John F. Kerry (Massachusetts Senator)
Joe Biden (Delaware Senator)
Wesley Clark (Retired General)
Howard Dean (DNC Chairman)
Bill Richardson (New Mexico Governor)
Tom Daschle (Former South Dakota Senator)
Russ Feingold (Wisconsin Senator)
Mike Warner (former Virginia Governor)
Dennis Kucenich (Ohio Congressman)
Tom Vilsack (Iowa Governor)

Possible Republican Candidates:

Lamberts-Lost-Tooth (Babbling Idiot and Social Commentator)
Rudy Giuliani (former New York City Mayor)
Condoleezza Rice (U.S. Secretary of State)
John McCain (Arizona Senator)
Newt Gingrich (former Speaker of the House)
Jeb Bush (Florida Governor)
Bill First (Tennessee Senator)
George Allen (Virginia Senator)
George Pataki (New York Govenor)
Mitt Romney (Massachusetts Governor)
Mike Huckabee (Arkansas Governor)
Sam Brownback (Kansas Senator)

For me, a resounding NO is given to all of the Demos except for Bill Richardson, Russ Feingold and Dennis Kucenich, as I don't know enough about them to make a fair assessment. A big NO is also given to all of the GOP'rs except for Rudy Giuliani (he is my frontrunner right now), John McCain (my jury is still out on him, as I feel he rides the fence a little too much), George Allen, Mike Huckabee and Sam Brownback. Again, I simply do not know enough about Allen, Huckabee and Brownback to give them a fair shake.

Okay ..now I am hurt that I didnt even get a consideration!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Rudy Guiliani in my opinion has a good shot of taking the republican bid. John McCain though looks like he should get it. This time the Douchebags who lost will switch positions and again LOSE. I think Guiliani and McCain will make an excellent President/Vice President Run.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:23 AM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,190 Times in 3,490 Posts

of course im a homer but i think richardson will be one of the best candidates. unfortunately he is hispanic and speaks spanish so the extreme right will probably spend millions to smear him and put the fear of us becoming a spanish speaking nation with open boarders if he does get on the ticket. he did a fine job as energy secretary under clinton. he is very respected in washington and the national media. has appeared on countless national media panels (including FOX) for his insight and expertise. although democratic, he appeals to many republicans (tax cuts, supports death penalty, crackdown on drugs, on the flipside our last governor rep. gary johnson was for legalization). around here he has been called a rep in dems clothing.

http://www.issues2000.org/Bill_Richardson.htm this site will tell you all you want to know about his stances on various topics:

Bill Richardson on Abortion
Resist any effort to weaken a woman's right to choose. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Budget & Economy
Grow the trade link to Mexico and attract Hollywood business. (Jan 2004)

Bill Richardson on Civil Rights .
No issue stance yet recorded by OnTheIssues.org.

Bill Richardson on Crime .
Toughened DWI and sex offender laws. (Jan 2004)
Domestic violence incidents start with drinking. (Jan 2004)
Mandatory jail time, especially for repeat offenders. (Oct 2002)
Supports death penalty: zero tolerance for heinous crimes. (Oct 2002)
Voted NO on maintaining right of habeus corpus in Death Penalty Appeals. (Mar 1996)
Voted YES on making federal death penalty appeals harder. (Feb 1995)
Voted NO on replacing death penalty with life imprisonment. (Apr 1994)

Bill Richardson on Drugs
Crack down on illegal drug labs. (Jan 2004)
No legalization: drugs play an insidious role in crime. (Oct 2002)
Drug Courts and treatment instead of incarceration. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Education
Equip every 7th grader with a laptop computer. (Jan 2004)
Increase the salary of school teachers. (Jan 2004)
A plan that can reach straightforward education goals. (Jan 2004)
Charter schools show tremendous promise. (Jan 2004)
Expand the lottery scholarship program for college students. (Jan 2004)
No vouchers: they abandon public schools. (Oct 2002)
Voted NO on giving federal aid only to schools allowing voluntary prayer. (Mar 1994)

Bill Richardson on Energy & Oil
$6M for energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies. (Jan 2004)
Develop alternative energy, including wind & solar. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Environment
Expand and create new state parks. (Jan 2004)
Develop a comprehensive water management plan. (Jan 2004)

Bill Richardson on Free Trade
Expand regional trade with Chihuahua. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Government Reform
Focus on eliminating waste and fraud from public spending. (Jan 2004)

Bill Richardson on Health Care
Secure lower prescription drug costs for seniors. (Jan 2004)
Focus on raising childhood immunization rates. (Jan 2004)
Increase access to affordable health care. (Jan 2004)
Consolidate mental health and substance abuse therapy needs. (Jan 2004)
Restrain Medicaid costs and maintain benefits. (Jan 2004)
Affordable access to healthcare for all New Mexicans. (Oct 2002)
New Mexico Cares: invest in our health. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Homeland Security
Spend $250K annually to fight base closures. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Jobs
Film industry initiatives create jobs. (Jan 2004)

Bill Richardson on Tax Reform
Continue to cut taxes and reform the tax code. (Jan 2004)
Reduce income tax; create Taxpayer Bill of Rights. (Oct 2002)

Bill Richardson on Technology
Allocate capital to education and water projects. (Jan 2004)

Bill Richardson on War & Peace
Click here for the full quote on War & Peace OR background on War & Peace.
Homeland Security Department at federal AND state level. (Oct 2002)
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
Okay ..now I am hurt that I didnt even get a consideration!
Hey! I nominated you, remember??? Got me in trouble around here too! Geesh...no appreciation for the loyal campaigner!
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786
Rudy Guiliani in my opinion has a good shot of taking the republican bid. John McCain though looks like he should get it. This time the Douchebags who lost will switch positions and again LOSE. I think Guiliani and McCain will make an excellent President/Vice President Run.
I have to agree with you there, SteelCityMan. I, too, think Giuliani/McCain would make a fine team, though as I said, I am not 100% sold on McCain yet. He cast a shadow of doubt in my eyes during the 2004 election when he was riding the fence on both Bush and Kerry, though I do realize that he is a Vet just as Kerry is.

Thanks for the heads-up on Bill Richardson, Tony. My only problem with him, from you listing his stances on different issues, is that I am fiercely PRO LIFE. I have the same problem with Rudy Giuliani. This is why I want to know as much as I can about each potential candidate well in advance of the election.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl
Hey! I nominated you, remember??? Got me in trouble around here too! Geesh...no appreciation for the loyal campaigner!

I hereby appoint Flood as my Vice-President..(If anything happens to me ...and she takes office...someone PLEASE appoint an independent investigator to look into the matter)

Also..I would like to humbly change my position name to ..High Potentate/God Emporer of the United States...
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #9
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth
I hereby appoint Flood as my Vice-President..(If anything happens to me ...and she takes office...someone PLEASE appoint an independent investigator to look into the matter)

Also..I would like to humbly change my position name to ..High Potentate/God Emporer of the United States...
Hmmmm...High Potentate/ God EMPRESS of the United States....hmmmm......
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Guiliani was not highly regarded by those he governed in New York City until after the WTC attack. But his demeanor after the attack won him a lot of respect on the national level. I think he would be severely overmatched at the national and international level.

I'd have a tough time getting behind McCain, whom I feel is the best of the Republican candidates, but I could vote for him over some of the Democrats.

As a lifelong Dem I know what you mean, HG; but for me there is no way I could join what the Republican party has become. I could have joined what it was in the '60s and '70s; did you know that Nixon was the father of the Environmental Protection Agency? I'd rather be a conservative Democrat than a Republican today.

Of all the people on that list, you know who I like? Al Gore. I really think he's been sold short by a lot of people. He's a conservative Democrat. His biggest failing is his appearance in public, his stiffness; but look how well our current president has performed with his scripted ease in public! But in this age of "It's not what you say but how loud you say it", I don't look for Gore to have the desire to take on the abuse. But he's a good man, he has experience, and he would make a good President. Of the Dems, that's the guy who could get elected AND WHOM I WOULD NOT BE AFRAID TO HAVE PRESIDENT. Spare me the Deans and the Edwardses, populist pretenders who have no idea of how to take on Putin and Ahmadinejad. And god forbid the Dems nominate Hillary Clinton. Even if she got elected, she is far too polarizing a figure to govern effectively.

Look for some serious backlash these next two elections.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote