Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts
Default Re: Is anyone unhappy with the David DeCastro selection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Peter King likes the pick

]
rich gannon says we pair him with pouncey and we now have 2 interior linemen who are gonna spend the next 10-12 years in the "pro bowl".

since that may be eliminated we may have to settle for having 2 all-pro.

i agree that this seems like the least controversial pick in some years. maybe even less so than big ben.

i love our defense and all the weapons we couldve added (players that some said we needed to add, but this along with the firing of arians shows a true commitment to having a top 10 offense.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #32
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
i've been watching draft analysis all morning to see what they would have to say and not ONE word so far about us and our steal of the draft...disappointing considering we're one of, if not, the most popular franchise in the NFL.
I know a G isn't a 'sexy' pic, but i don't know how many more hours of discussion about Tannehill and Richardson one can actually have. Sheez....

That said....i'm disappointed we didn't get Hightower, a player just made to wear a Pittsburgh uniform, and it was doubly painful to see NE move up so they could snatch him from Baltimore, but how can you pass on such a highly rated G? You can't. Our QB spends more time on his back and we need to keep him uprght and Kemo needs replaced. This guy could, and should, be a fixture here for years and years to come. Hopefully he doesn't come down with our "injury curse" that we have going.
I'm very happy with the pick. Looking forward to this evening to see what we do next.
Its all I read all morning. We got the steal of the draft. It was in yahoo, MSN and a few others
Old 04-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #33
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Its all I read all morning. We got the steal of the draft. It was in yahoo, MSN and a few others

cool. I just sat through 4 1/2 hrs of TV sports analysis including First Take and nothing...not one thing.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #34
DJJorel
Water Boy

Member Number: 1372

Someone on the radio said that he is a better prospect than another interior lineman that the Steelers took with the 18th pick in 2010....and that guy turned out to be pretty damn good...

With this pick, the Steelers addressed their biggest need. Now, all of a sudden, the OLine got a lot younger, and they have tons more potential as a unit...

I REALLY like this pick!!!
DJJorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #35
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Bill Barnwell at ESPN Grantland rates the pick as one of the 5 best moves last night

Outside of Blackmon and the quarterbacks taken with the first two picks on Thursday, there was no better match of team, style, and need in the first round than the Steelers and DeCastro. The Stanford graduate was rumored to be a target for various teams in the middle of the first round, and while he might be one of the five or six best players in the draft, the relative lack of importance placed on guards caused him to fall to Pittsburgh with the 24th pick. What the Steelers get with DeCastro is the next Alan Faneca, a dominant all-around interior lineman who will be a leader on and off the field. The Steelers have struggled over the past several years to replace Faneca, and while they found a keeper two years ago in center Maurkice Pouncey, their offensive line has been the Achilles' heel of a team that's above-average or better in every other facet of the game. The combination of Pouncey and DeCastro gives them a strong base on the interior and should improve Pittsburgh's performance in short yardage going forward. With DeCastro's ability and Pittsburgh's proven excellence in developing young talent, there might not be a single player in the draft more likely to make five Pro Bowls than DeCastro.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...-the-nfl-draft
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #36
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,361 Times in 4,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRH View Post
cool. I just sat through 4 1/2 hrs of TV sports analysis including First Take and nothing...not one thing.
them guys are jagoffs who are gonna rub bill belichicks penis for 4 and a half hours. charley casserly said david is better coming out of college than faneca was.

Quote:
Someone on the radio said that he is a better prospect than another interior lineman that the Steelers took with the 18th pick in 2010....and that guy turned out to be pretty damn good...
confirmed. i heard that as well on sirius.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #37
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
My Mood: Amazed

Great pick up. I was watching him drop and sat there and said, if he fall to us, its a flat out steal. I'll take anything OLine at this point.

Its always great when you have the shit ass teams who can;t figure out how to draft and trae around this guy and that pick, than F it all up again. Got to love teams like the benglas, rams, stains etc.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #38
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,023 Times in 3,356 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Colbert and Tomlin said that DeCastro will start off on the right where he played at Stanford.
makes sense, but you never know how things will pan out in training camp if he impresses. pouncey wasn't expected to take over as the starter in his rookie season either.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,728 Times in 5,643 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalarin View Post
Like I said in another post Ngata is displeased.

I agree, Haloti Ngata won't be able to spend half of the game from now on in our offensive backfield...

Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM   #40
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,925 Times in 2,852 Posts
My Mood: Tired

The Tomlin quote is being mischaracterized. He didn't say double D would start at RG, he said he is a RG but that they would put the best players on the field which meant, to me, that if playing him the LG put the best 5 on the field, that's what they will do.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote