Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Not to burst your bubble, but ...

I am very happy about how things have unfolded in this years draft. I am ecstatic. Why? Because a player like DeCastro was not supposed to be available to us - but he was and we "snagged" him. Because a player like Adams was supposed to cost us a 1st round pick but he didn't - we got him with a 2nd round pick. Because a player like Ta'amu was supposed to cost us a 3rd round pick but he didn't - we got him in the 4th round. So that's why I'm happy and reading other people's posts - I think my sentiments are fairly universal...

BUT...

I recall feeling this way in 2008. We got Mendenhall when he shouldn't have even been available (could have had Chris Johnson or Ray Rice). We got Sweed with a 2nd round pick when it should have cost us a first rounder and we got studs in Bruce Davis, OLB from UCLA, Tony Hills - a big tackle from Texas and Dennis Dixon, a guy who people talked about winning the Heisman if not for injury.

I realize that a significant factor for how happy I am about a draft is based on what expectations OTHERS (media, mock drafts, etc..) have set for me. It was these outsiders who told me that DeCastro should be drafted high and Adams is a first round talent. It was others who told me that Ta'amu should have been gone sooner.
Who knows... maybe there are legitimate reasons DeCastro and Adams dropped and Ta'amu was still available in the 4th.

I'm no college football expert and so I need to rely on these OTHER experts to learn about things but maybe the true test of things is what we see playing out right now - the actual draft.

The truths is that DeCastro is a late first round talent. The truth is that Adams is a late 2nd rounder and that Ta'amu is a mid 4th round talent. And who knows. Maybe the only HOFer in this class is Spence - who I know little about and feel somewhat disappointed that he didn't exceed the so-called experts' expectations.

So part of me should come back to earth and realize that we added talent to our team just like every other team did - maybe even to a lesser degree because we picked late in each round.

However despite my depressing sense of realism, deep inside, I feel that Colbert and his crew know what they are generally (i repeat, generally) doing and will trust that our team will have a chance to compete year-in-year out.

Still, its just too much fun to not enjoy this year's draft. Let's get another stud WR ... Streeter - he should have gone 10 rounds earlier ... and add that safety from Carolina - he was graded a 3rd round talent .. and throw in decent kicker in there too while we're at it ..
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,808 Times in 2,958 Posts
Default Re: Not to burst your bubble, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
Let's get another stud WR ... Streeter - he should have gone 10 rounds earlier ...
not to burst your bubble but the Ravens just took Streeter in the 6th round...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
not to burst your bubble but the Ravens just took Streeter in the 6th round...
Damn, I knew I shouldn't have written his name in my post.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

I love the post but don't agree we got the players were we should of. Yahoo has Sevastopol as the 3rd ranked player overall. Higher then any T. Adams was ranked as the 2nd T and TA'amu is ranked as the 3rd higest DT. And the top NT. I think we will end up with at least 3 starters from this draft.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
I love the post but don't agree we got the players were we should of. Yahoo has Sevastopol as the 3rd ranked player overall. Higher then any T. Adams was ranked as the 2nd T and TA'amu is ranked as the 3rd higest DT. And the top NT. I think we will end up with at least 3 starters from this draft.
And three starters in a single draft is simply awesome.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
tucker6
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 12833

Decastro is not a late 1st round talent. He was projected almost universally as a top 15-20 guy. Mel kiper had him in his top 10 best. We got him at 24 and I'm pleased. Is it the steal of a lifetime? No. Who cares though. We got a stud.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #7
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

We got really lucky this year that an emphasis was put on pass rushers and skill positions early. Mike Pouncey went in the early teens last year, if Decastro was there last year?

How about years where there is a emphasis on O-Tackles? Mike Adams is really like the 2nd or 3rd best Left Tackle in this year's draft. All behind him are questionable on the left, better suited at RT or will be moved to Guard.

If there were more teams needing a NT Ta'amu wouldn't have lasted nearly as long. San Diego took their chances letting him go that long and they lost when we traded ahead of them.

Rainey was projected 4th round and Spence right where he was projected.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
JustinJDW
Water Boy

Member Number: 24062

I understand your concern, but anyone that actually knows College Football will tell you that David Decastro is by far the best Guard in this draft, and one of the best Guard prospects in years. Why would they tell you that? Because its the truth. Decastro is a Top 10-15 talent. Mike Adams is a 1st Round talent as well.

Steelers got mad lucky this draft.
JustinJDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #9
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

The Steelers drafted BPA as always. They just got lucky that the BPA was also a need pick as well. Great job on paper, but like Lee Flowers said "paper champions". Let's see how they play in camp.
Can't say I'm not excited though. I can see some power football coming back.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:02 PM   #10
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,431 Posts

LOL. Not to burst your bubble, but.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote