Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default No word on Hampton's return, but Steelers think Ta'Amu is his clone

No word on Hampton's return, but Steelers think Ta'Amu is his clone
April 29, 2012 12:00 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-clone-633561/
By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers think they have found Casey Hampton's replacement at nose tackle with a player who possesses some of the same run-clogging, impossible-to-move traits as their five-time Pro Bowler.

Now, they are waiting to find out if Hampton still possesses some of the traits that made him the anchor of their 3-4 defense after having a third major knee surgery.

If not, they are prepared to move on after drafting Washington's Alameda Ta'amu -- a bigger, wider version of Hampton -- in the fourth round.

"I think you have to ask Casey that," defensive line coach John Mitchell snapped Saturday, when asked if Hampton will be ready to play when the regular season begins in Denver in September. Moments earlier, the Steelers moved up 10 spots in the fourth round to draft Ta'amu, a powerful 6-foot-2 1/4, 348-pound nose tackle who once weighed as much as 390 pounds

"I can't answer that. He was here about a week ago. He looks like Casey. I can't answer that. You have to ask Casey if he is going to be ready to play. When he shows up, I'll know."

Hampton tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in the playoff loss in Denver and did not have surgery until Jan. 27. It was the second time he has had ACL surgery on his left knee, dating to his senior season at Texas. He also had ACL surgery on his right knee in 2004.

Last month, Hampton restructured his contract and agreed to a pay cut in exchange for one more season with the Steelers. But when he will be able to play remains uncertain.

That's why the Steelers wanted to find a nose tackle in the draft. Dontari Poe of Memphis was gone with the 11th overall pick, but the Steelers had Ta'amu rated the second-best nose tackle. They had a low-second to high-third round grade on him.

When he was still available in the fourth, they gave up their sixth-round pick to the Washington Redskins to move up 10 spots to get him.

"Anytime in our scheme, when you get a nose tackle, first you want to make sure that this guy can play the double-team," Mitchell said. "His job is to keep the linebackers free or the safety free when we bring the safety down in the box. If he can't do that, then he'll have a tough time playing for us. He did that very well at the University of Washington.

"I'm not very smart, but I know that you play with 11 on both sides of the ball. Anytime the nose tackle can take up two of the other team, I know that leaves nine and we have one more than they have."

Ta'amu met with all the Steelers coaches at the scouting combine in Indianapolis and knew they were interested in drafting him. The feeling was mutual because Ta'amu wanted to play with Hampton.

"He's up the middle, he holds his ground, it takes more than one blocker to play him," Ta'amu said. "I'm going to try to do the same thing when I get there."

Curiously, Ta'amu's name already had surfaced on the first day of the draft when it was noted that Stanford guard David DeCastro, the Steelers' No. 1 pick, held him without a statistic in a 65-21 Cardinal victory last season. Stanford offensive line coach Mike Bloomgren said Ta'amu was so discouraged he took himself out of the game to "contemplate his life's goals."

"When you go against DeCastro, you feel his presence," Ta'amu said. "There are not a lot of guards that can block a nose guard and you can feel it. With DeCastro, he's explosive from play one all the way to the last play. He comes at you, and there are not a lot of guards that stay the same like that throughout the whole game."

Mitchell said he is not worried about Ta'amu's performance in that game.

"Here's what you have to see -- these guys are in college, they played a scheme that their coach is coaching," Mitchell said. "When he comes here, we will start from scratch. He is going to play the 3-4 the way the Steelers play. I have no concern for what he did in college. That is behind him. He is going to come here, and I'm going to teach him what we want him to get done."

In other words, be like Casey Hampton.
Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com; twitter: @gerrydulac.
First Published 2012-04-29 04:11:37
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351
Default Re: No word on Hampton's return, but Steelers think Ta'Amu is his clone

Hampton will be back but will be hurt again much of the season. McClendon will be needed until this kid gains some experience.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
finesward
Team Captain

Member Number: 14448

Anyone know if the owners amended the injured reserve system where they can have 1 roster exemption? I believe I read about it but can't remember if they proposed it or it actually passed. I know Rooney was a proponent for it, and I'm betting they would use that 1 exemption on Hampton if he's not ready to go day 1. No way they keep 3 NT's on the roster. I figure they will have mclendon heyward ziggy kiesel ta'amu with hampton on the injured exemption spot.

Question is who goes if he is healthy after say a month? You gotta think if Ta'amu shows he is ready to at least be a back up if not be the starter, McClendon will be the odd man out. I'm sure they keep him around in case hampton goes down again and finds himself either cut or permanently on the IR but it's too bad for McClendon as I feel he has earned himself some playing time either on this team or another. Hopefully he can come back next year and sign a long term deal in the mold of chris hoke. I think he's a very serviceable guy in spot duty.

It's amazing to me how in just a short time we have completely revamped our lines, which to me is the ground zero for a football team. We now have a solid D-line that will probably play together for the next 6-8 years (-kiesel) and a young O-line that will be able to do the same. With Pouncey in there calling the shots and setting the tone I have no doubt they will get it together and finally bring some stability back to the line.
finesward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #4
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514

Reguardless of Casey's health I can't imagine McClendon being better than Ta'amu. If Casey isn't healthy enough to play, however, you have to have both Ta'amu and McClendon on the roster... put Ta'amu's feet to the fire for sure but you have to have a backup for him. I almost think we should have grabbed Nicolas Jean-Baptiste to stow away on our practice squad to develop into Ta'amu's future backup, because McClendon ain't it...

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:28 PM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,255 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah_Q View Post
Reguardless of Casey's health I can't imagine McClendon being better than Ta'amu. If Casey isn't healthy enough to play, however, you have to have both Ta'amu and McClendon on the roster... put Ta'amu's feet to the fire for sure but you have to have a backup for him. I almost think we should have grabbed Nicolas Jean-Baptiste to stow away on our practice squad to develop into Ta'amu's future backup, because McClendon ain't it...
I like McClendon as a guy that can play nose and DE. Picture 2 years from now and maybe both Keisel and Hampton are gone. Will be a group of Hood, Heyward, Ta'amu, McClendon and ???? Woods maybe??

Plus, who is the DT we picked up from Georgia in the offseason?? I think we are fine in D line depth.