Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-29-2012, 10:46 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Our picks grade number comparison

NFL.com had graded every possible draft pick. The scale goes to 100. Here are our picks grades and some guys near them.

G David Decastro 92.5 (Next best guard Kevin Zeitler 85) (only better O-lineman Matt Kalil 94)
Decastro was also 6th overall in the entire draft.

OT Mike Adams 86 (Matt Kalil 94, Reiey Reiff 89, Cordy Glenn 88, Jon Martin 87)

LB Sean Spence 80.2 (Mychal Kendricks 79.7, James M. Johnson 69, Vontaze Burfect 54.7, Tank Carder 53)

NT Alameda Ta'amu 77 (comparing only true NTs- Dontari Poe 89, Josh Chapman 72.5, Hebron(Loni) Fangupo 60, Ishmaa'ily Kitchen 49, Nicolas Jean Baptiste 48.5, John Hughes 48.2)

RB Chris Rainey 71.7 (2 most comparable backs Isaiah Pead 76.7 and LaMichael James 73.5 went in the 2nd round) (No RB drafted after had a higher grade and the Raven's traded up in the 3rd for Bernard Pierce 71 score.)

WR Toney Clemons 51.2 (Marquis Maze who we signed as a UDFA had 67, 6th rounders Tommy Streeter had 69, & Marvin McNutt 68.2)

TE David Paulson 54.5 (highest rated TE drafted in 7th, Cowboys got James Hanna 65 in the 6th, and only DeAngelo Peterson 61 was rated higher of those who remained and he was undrafted.)

CB Terrence Frederick 66 (Trevin Wade 82.5 went the pick before. 13 CBs with lower grades were drafted ahead of him)

OL Kelvin Beachum 49.2 (25 Undrafted O-Linemen with a better grade then him including James Brown 82.2, & Luke Nix 74.5 of Pitt.)

The Steelers may have lost out on WR Tommy Streeter, WR Marvin McNutt, or TE James Hanna by not having a 6th round pick but it was worth it to get Ta'amu, and Toney Clemons and David Paulson may just end up better players..

And they must see something in Beachum to have passed on so many others.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369
Default Re: Our picks grade number comparison

Don't understand passing on NIx, even at UDFA. I guess they got a real close-up look at him, so they must not have liked what they saw.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,620 Times in 2,866 Posts

last night i asked kelvin beachum (via twitter) if it were true that he could also long snap, and reminded him that if so the last 2 superbowls we won were with a brand new long snapper.

his response was "heck yeah!!!"

he seems to be a very devout Christian. looks like he was brought in to give greg warren competition and possibly be a cheaper alternative.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
55BaileyFan
Starter

Member Number: 13479

I was amazed they passed on Nix as well.

I do like the Paulson pick though. He is not primarily a TE though, he played a ton of H-Back at Oregon. He could be the replacement for David Johnson. DJ hasn't blown anyone away. DJ makes 1.2M and Paulson would make minimum at around 330k to 375k
Old 04-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #5
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

Yes sir ... and we got some good UFA ... time to take some of them higher paid QB's and other positions off the team ... and sign Wallace i say maybe like 6mil a year ...
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
Don't understand passing on NIx, even at UDFA. I guess they got a real close-up look at him, so they must not have liked what they saw.
From what I heard somewhere the Steelers were trying to get Nix but he chose the Raiders.

If you watch Paulson on youtube you will love his pass catching ability. I think DJ's days are numbered as Will Johnson, and Jamie McCoy are in camp as well.

And I was wondering why we didn't sign another LS? If Beachum does that he has nice size to not be overpowered blocking.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 PM   #7
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,534 Times in 803 Posts
My Mood: Hot

RE: David "Stonehands" Johnson
quotes I love to hear, "his days may be numbered here" "looks like we drafted his replacement"
Please show this guy the door.....he has cost us way too much......just check the tapes of big games recently
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
last night i asked kelvin beachum (via twitter) if it were true that he could also long snap, and reminded him that if so the last 2 superbowls we won were with a brand new long snapper.

his response was "heck yeah!!!"

he seems to be a very devout Christian. looks like he was brought in to give greg warren competition and possibly be a cheaper alternative.
If he can snap and do it well, it would be nice to have someone that could play an O-Line position on offense in a pinch to save a roster spot.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,620 Times in 2,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
If he can snap and do it well, it would be nice to have someone that could play an O-Line position on offense in a pinch to save a roster spot.
totally agree. our 1st 4 draft picks seem to address a soon to be or immediate need.

all the players in the last half of the draft all seem to bring a unique skill set that gives them a legitimate shot to fight for one of those final 10 spots on the roster.

not only is kelvin smart with great character, i believe he was a team captain/leader, and although was strictly a LT all 4 years, projects to a guard (which he willingly accepts).

if nothing else he may win the LS job outright and save a third of a million off the cap (no offense to greg warren who has done a great job but is getting to the pricey veteran stage of his career).

its pretty much the same scenario that udfa rookie greg warren took the job from the suitable mike schneck and became a sb champion in 05.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

I'm shocked CBS listed the draft at a b minus.

Admas manned up and came unnounced to the Steelers FO, How many of these atheles man up like that to apologize for Fing up? Certainly not ike, lol.

Rainey is a 5th rder, I could care less if he sticks, f's up or not. As long as the top 4 are here to stay, this is an A plus draft.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote