Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528
Default Are you a Steeler geek?

What are some things you do in following the Steelers that has your wife or/and girlfriend rolling their eyes wondering "why am I with this nerd?"

I confess the following:

EXCEL SPREADSHEET DEPTH CHART: I have an up to date Excel spreadsheet of the depth chart containing all 90 players. It ranks each position as to who I think will likely make the team and players who will be a starter are designated in a different color. It automatically adds each player to the roster total. After the draft and free agency, I had 92 on my sheet and later read that Chad Spann and Antonio Smith were cut.

NUTS FOR DRAFT: My wife cannot understand why I get so excited for the draft. There is no action, no Hail Mary catches or game saving tackles and no wins or losses added to the standings. But still, I spent days reading mocks and hours watching the draft.

RANDOM STEELER FACTS: without even trying, I can tell u where every current Steeler player went to college. I can tell u which team they were on before they came to the steelers if they were a free agent or traded. I can tell u the starting roster of each Super Bowl teams and almost all the first round draft picks since 1980.

Yes, I am a Steeler geek.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
grward
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7527
Default Re: Are you a Steeler geek?

Dude, do you really think anyone can come close to this level of geekness? But definitely know this, we all envy you for it!!!
grward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
dyce23
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17204

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
What are some things you do in following the Steelers that has your wife or/and girlfriend rolling their eyes wondering "why am I with this nerd?"

I confess the following:

EXCEL SPREADSHEET DEPTH CHART: I have an up to date Excel spreadsheet of the depth chart containing all 90 players. It ranks each position as to who I think will likely make the team and players who will be a starter are designated in a different color. It automatically adds each player to the roster total. After the draft and free agency, I had 92 on my sheet and later read that Chad Spann and Antonio Smith were cut.

NUTS FOR DRAFT: My wife cannot understand why I get so excited for the draft. There is no action, no Hail Mary catches or game saving tackles and no wins or losses added to the standings. But still, I spent days reading mocks and hours watching the draft.

RANDOM STEELER FACTS: without even trying, I can tell u where every current Steeler player went to college. I can tell u which team they were on before they came to the steelers if they were a free agent or traded. I can tell u the starting roster of each Super Bowl teams and almost all the first round draft picks since 1980.

Man, I'm with you! I can't follow you down that spreadsheet road yet, lol...but I'm with you on everything else, except I'm 25, so I can only remember as far back as the early 90s. For the draft every year, I'll read mock after mock looking at the players people have us taking, and then I'll spend months looking at game film of those players as far down as the 5th round. I do this, though, because I don't watch college ball, and I like to evaluate players individually as well, so when I see someone we may be targeting, I start evaluating extensively. I'll create mocks of what I believe we'll do, and mocks of what I HOPE we do. Adding to the random Steeler facts, I like to do a lot of statistical analysis of our upcoming games during the season too. I know I'm a Steeler geek, but I'm proud of it, too.
dyce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #4
dyce23
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17204

Quote:
Originally Posted by grward View Post
Dude, do you really think anyone can come close to this level of geekness? But definitely know this, we all envy you for it!!!
Man, I think most people on this board are Steeler geeks. I think they all have some aspect that they may be deeper into than any other - like that dude's spreadsheet - but I think a LOT of people here are true Steeler geeks. The casual fans are the ones that aren't on boards like these. That's just my opinion though. I know I am, at least. I wish there were more active posters here, because sometimes all I want to talk about is the Black N' Gold, yet no one is posting anything new. My dad and I talk about 'em everyday as we're the two biggest Steeler fans in my area, but I would like other opinions as well. Being in SC, it's hard to find people that follow the Steelers instead of the Panthers, so all I really have is my dad and boards like these. I don't think I can realistically get tired of talking about my boys. Also, I think that has a little to do with just my love of the game of football, but the Steelers are my favorite team, so they factor into the conversation more often than not.
dyce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,868 Times in 2,905 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

haha awesome. i fall under the #2 and #3 part also, but i don't have a spreadsheet. yet lol.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post

I confess the following:

Some one has alot of time on their hands.....lol

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #7
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I'm one aswell. Lots of jersey, a helmet, huge Jack Lambert print, the lamp etc. But for me I always name my dogs with the Steelers in mind. My present dog is a female 7 month old German shepherd named......NOLL - A.

Last edited by Rick5895; 05-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

I'm one aswell. Lots of jersey, a helmet, huge Jack Lambert print, the lamp etc. But for me I always name my dogs with the Steelers in mind. My present dog is a female 7 month old German shepherd named..NOLL-A

Last edited by Rick5895; 05-05-2012 at 05:46 AM.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
NSMaster56
Living Legend

Member Number: 23979
Thanked 4,231 Times in 1,881 Posts

I don't make Steelers-specific excel spreadsheets, but rather NFL-wide spreadsheets (which track an unreal amount of information, mostly gambling/trend specific).

So I'm more of just an NFL nerd, a numbers nerd or plain nerd-nerd.
NSMaster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

I like the comment above about everyone on Steeler boards being somewhat of a Steeler Geek in the sense that we all bring something different. I am a big college sports fan and pro sports fan so I watch guys as they grow into great players in college. I study the game but only to an extent. I enjoy trying to evaluate talent and projecting what kind of player they will become specific to the team and scheme I think they will be assigned to fit in.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote