Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Ed: Steelers Change Rookie QBs

Ed: Steelers Change Rookie QBs
Thursday, 03 May 2012 07:59
Written by Ed Bouchette
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...nge-rookie-qbs

Rookie orientation begins tomorrow, and I’m sure the Steelers will come up with someone to play quarterback. That someone won’t be Alex Tanney of Monmouth College. He’s now going to work out for the Buffalo Bills at their orientation.
http://www.pjstar.com/sports/x272280...elers-to-Bills

Tanney reneged on an apparent agreement to work out with the Steelers during their orientation. However, he changed his mind, called the Steelers and said they were okay with it. It’s really no big deal. The Steelers quickly turned to another quarterback, Oregon’s Darron Thomas, for a tryout this weekend. Maybe he’s the next Dennis Dixon, another QB from Oregon whose Steelers career never took off despite his early promise. No one has signed Dixon yet, by the way.

Here’s a story on that:
http://autzenzoo.com/2012/04/30/darr...and-cardinals/

And on a more somber note, the Steelers lost a shrine in northeastern Pa. to fire:
http://www.mydallaspost.com/stories/...n-ruins,145328
Onto your questions:

--- YOU: How much weight do you think the Steelers front office put on the Mike Adams personal visit when choosing to select him in the 2nd round? From what I understand, he was completely off their board, but then he requested a personal visit to offer his mea culpa, and the rest is history.

ME: All that was explained in our story the day they drafted him. Yes, he drove here at the advice of his agent, Monroeville native Eric Metz, and met with Kevin Colbert, Mike Tomlin and Art Rooney. As Colbert said, they told Adams he was off their board, and then gave him a list of things to do to get back on it – as well as other teams.
--- YOU: So Ed, who do you like in the 2013 draft?

ME: The best inside linebacker available.

--- YOU: Let’s review what the local talk shows can’t let go of in this draft? We have 2 draft choices who are not exactly up for the Good Citizen of the Year Award Show. And the fingers being pointed in their direction are not usually used for globes. Now I equate smoking pot with prohibition, eventually doomed to failure, but I’m from California. However, it is illegal and lying about it to a future employer after being tested is downright dumb. And in the other case threatening anyone with bodily harm, especially women is much worse.

But none of us know the future. Didn’t we pick a QB in 2004 with a squeaky clean reputation in college?

ME: You are right about both. Each paid his own price because of what he did. The Steelers came to the decision after investigating each that both were worth their draft picks. We won’t know, as Kevin Colbert said, until they play out their careers.

--- YOU: Is it time for some odds to be posted? I saw the Steelers were 20-1 to win the SB before the draft and are now 12-1 post-draft.
Has anyone posted odds that Dick LeBeau punches Todd Haley this season ala Buddy Ryan and Kevin Gilbride?

ME: It’s too early for me to post any odds, but I’m sure you can get them in Vegas and put a bet down right now. Being the peaceful man that he is, LeBeau won’t punch anyone but it might have been far more tempting for him to do so with a previous coordinator than the current one.

--- YOU: After reading "Steelers bring in a rookie quarterback", I wasn't so disturbed by the first scenario of roster players not allowed at minicamp but the second scenario where DeCastro cannot attend minicamp because his classes won't be over in time? Why would the college care? He was offered a scholarship for football. Why would the NFL care? They want to put the best product on the field. I would love to know the percentage of players that actually got a degree through their athletic scholarship.

ME: David DeCastro as well as all rookies can attend this weekend’s orientation for them. But then DeCastro and Mike Adams and any other rookies whose college semesters have not ended cannot report to the Steelers again until they do. I agree that it’s a hypocritic stance by colleges, who don’t mind pulling their players out of classes to compete in bowl games and basketball tournaments. The NFL cares because it wants to keep a good relationship with its free minor league system.

--- YOU: The recent draft of Mike Adams by the Steelers seems to have some of the fans up in arms about the character of the young man, along with Chris Rainey. Many reporters have reminded this group of fans about some of the more "colorful" players the Steelers have employed in the past, e.g. Ernie Holmes. I Googled "Rod Woodson arrested"...and sure enough Mr. Woodson had a variety of reports that would make one question if he was another "million-dollar talent and five-cent head".
Obviously, he got squared away and seems to be a widely respected former player. But, at the time he was drafted and even early on in Pittsburgh, he was not always the pillar of the community he later became known as. I have no idea if Mr. Adams or Mr. Rainey will follow a similar path in their personal development...but, obviously and perhaps rhetorically, a somewhat rough beginning is certainly no guarantee that the player(s) won't become a model citizen. I would hope that the noise being generated by a few fans about the perceived character flaws of our new Steelers will quickly dissipate and we can get back to criticizing the players for their real or imagined football flaws instead.

ME: Not a question but well put. People with shenanigans on their young resumes have also become president of the United States. Some even went on to do a good job of it. Apparently, though, Mike Adams did inhale.

--- YOU: Ed, as a potential "Dream Team" offensive line is being constructed as a result of the widely-heralded draft last week, the presumption seems to be that Maurkice Pouncey is generally healthy and of course the hope is that he will stay that way. But there has been little actual word as to his recovery from his most recent injury at season's end. Is he indeed back to full health, and internally is the Steelers' brass concerned with the two fairly significant injuries he has suffered in his first two years on the line?

ME: Pouncey had surgery after the season on his ankle. His mother told me the other day that he’s doing fine. We’ll see, as John Mitchell might say, when we see him. There’s always concern when you have a young player who has persistent leg injuries. However, Pouncey has played through them for the most part.

--- YOU: Saw your post about the O line in the future. If Adams turns out to be good they will have 4 out of 5 studs on the O line for the foreseeable future. Whether Adams is LT or Gilbert is LT won’t matter that much. It will be like the old days – strong O line makes up for a lot of ills. Think that when Art Rooney told Ben to “tweak” his style, Ben said to Art: “well, Mr. Rooney, I hear you – you’ve got a point. It would really help if you got me an O line to protect me though.”

ME: I think Rooney and everyone else in the organization was aware they needed to beef up their line without their quarterback making the suggestion.

--- YOU: do you have ANY skinny on any of the undrafted Fas the Steelers signed? Any skinny?

ME: Really, I haven’t looked that closely at the undrafted free agent group. Brandon LIndsey, of course, is a linebacker from Pitt and a potential candidate, I would say. There’s a kicker from Missouri, Grant Ressel. Robert Golden is a safety from Arizona coming to a team possibly looking for a young safety and which drafted none. And then there’s everyone’s favorite who, as I wrote on my chat Tuesday, really sticks out above all the other free agents: Ikponmwosa Igbinosun. He’s a defensive end from Southern Connecticut.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote