Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-03-2012, 11:07 PM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Draft fallout: Did Pittsburgh Steelers fix their O-line?

Draft fallout: Did Pittsburgh Steelers fix their O-line?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...ix-their-oline

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com
Around The League editor

Guard David DeCastro might have been the safest home-run pick in the entire first round. If guards got drafted in the top 10, DeCastro would have gone in the top 10. He fills a huge need as a plug-and-play Week 1 starter, and coach Mike Tomlin said DeCastro could play right guard or left guard. He immediately should be the best guard on the team.

For the first time since 1968, the Steelers drafted back-to-back offensive linemen when Mike Adams fell to them in the second round. Last year's second-round pick, Marcus Gilbert, got a lot of starting experience at right tackle in 2011. It's expected that Gilbert will move to the left side this year, with Willie Colon back from injury on the right side. Suddenly, Pittsburgh has enviable depth at a usually weak position.

Throw in center Maurkice Pouncey, and the beleaguered Steelers line now actually might be a weapon. Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been the problem in Pittsburgh, and now he'll have a better chance to shine.

"Really, the last three days unfolded very well for us," general manager Kevin Colbert said at the end of the draft. "We got a lot of players we targeted."

With the Baltimore Ravens' pass rush diminished, the Steelers once again look like favorites in the AFC North.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:42 AM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Draft fallout: Did Pittsburgh Steelers fix their O-line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Throw in center Maurkice Pouncey, and the beleaguered Steelers line now actually might be a weapon. Ben Roethlisberger hasn't been the problem in Pittsburgh, and now he'll have a better chance to shine.
This is what I am hoping for. IF the O line turns out as good as it looks and IF the new offensive scheme "clicks", then I think Ben and our WR/TE weapons can get 5,000 yards passing and have an efficient run game. It may sound crazy to some, but many of us have been saying that if Ben had a great O line his stats would be as good as Brady, Breeze, etc., and IF everything "clicks" I think he can show everybody that. The passing in the NE game this previous year was a prime example of the potential Ben and this offense have, and now with an O line that will give Ben even more time then in that game, and a running game thanks to that O line which will take the pressure off the passing game, the potential is huge. With as good as some of the "elite" QB's WR/TE's are, I would still take Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Miller over ANY other WR/TE group. Ben might not have as much natural "football intelligence" as Brady/Manning but his seasons generally end better then theirs in spite of it. This year he and the team are set on changing his style of play, he will mold into a hard working, film studying QB, and with our weapons it can be done. IF everything goes correctly this will be an exciting offense.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:41 AM   #3
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
Did Pittsburgh Steelers fix their O-line?.
Our O-line was like a rust bucket of a truck that was serviceable only because the mechanical components inside were in such good shape. The old body and frame have been replaced with new ones, so it's less of a fix and more of an upgrade......anything is better at this point.

And now all of a sudden, it makes perfect sense to me why the Browns team colors resemble rust.......anyone taken a drive down the Ohio north coast lately? Rust belt indeed!
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,791 Times in 2,404 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

To answer the question in the title:

If healthy.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
dyce23
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17204

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanda10506 View Post
This is what I am hoping for. IF the O line turns out as good as it looks and IF the new offensive scheme "clicks", then I think Ben and our WR/TE weapons can get 5,000 yards passing and have an efficient run game. It may sound crazy to some, but many of us have been saying that if Ben had a great O line his stats would be as good as Brady, Breeze, etc., and IF everything "clicks" I think he can show everybody that. The passing in the NE game this previous year was a prime example of the potential Ben and this offense have, and now with an O line that will give Ben even more time then in that game, and a running game thanks to that O line which will take the pressure off the passing game, the potential is huge. With as good as some of the "elite" QB's WR/TE's are, I would still take Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, and Miller over ANY other WR/TE group. Ben might not have as much natural "football intelligence" as Brady/Manning but his seasons generally end better then theirs in spite of it. This year he and the team are set on changing his style of play, he will mold into a hard working, film studying QB, and with our weapons it can be done. IF everything goes correctly this will be an exciting offense.
Agreed!!! Our WR/TE group is the best in the league in my opinion. Now, I know that will be disputed on here, but I have HIGH expectations for Sanders if he can stay healthy. Wallace and Brown have already proven their worth, and Cotchery is a viable number 3 who's playing the number 4 position for us. We're strong at the WR spot. I would love an upgrade at our second TE position, but our starter is solid, and I don't see anyone making up the difference here compared to our WRs. As you said, IF our line has been fixed, we'll have a VERY potent offense. Ben will excel, and when Mendy returns, we'll see what he was SUPPOSED to be from the beginning. That's my opinion, because Mendy needs space to work, and we haven't been able to supply that with our line in recent years. Now, we'll be able to give him that space, and with the improved running game, Ben will have a little help. He does hold the ball too long, but I don't think that's going to be too much a problem if they continue to work with him as a QB, and our line is improved. People forget that QBs really come into their own in their 30s. Ben is at that age, and he's shown progression already. With an improved offensive scheme and O-Line, the sky is the limit for him and this offense.
dyce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678

Ben holds the ball to long? Well when you have to turn and run after 1/2 second from the snap, it takes a bit to get free. The WR's cant be running with their backs to him oblvious to the play.

Yet again, another post on Ben neededing to be taught to play qb, lol

Ben will excel when Mendy returns? Seriously? Mendy needs space to work? Yes because he dances around before moving forward when the little bit of hole we have, closes.

So lets reveiw, Ben is successful because of Mendy? Or won't be any good this year, till Mendy comes back?

the WR/TE group out there would be the PATS. Their 2 te's make up for a lot of short comings. But they have the Brady factor. I would still take Ben and ours over anyone, but the Pats could give it s run. The Oline could be the difference maker here.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #7
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyce23 View Post
when Mendy returns, we'll see what he was SUPPOSED to be from the beginning. That's my opinion, because Mendy needs space to work, and we haven't been able to supply that with our line in recent years.
I'll agree that Mendy would've been more effective had we not had a bonehead for an OC, and a patchwork O-line, but I really don't see him returning. I'm with the crowd that said that Redman should've been our starter last year because he's far better at gaining yards when he's stacked up, rather than Mendy who tippy-toes too much at the point of attack.......did I mention Mendy likes to run OOB?

Regardless, of the new OC (who's proven himself to NOT be a moron), and the new lineman, I'm still going with Red or one of our other backs as the runner of the future. I honestly don't think that Mendy will ever be as good as expected, and Redman will continue to exceed expectations.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Redman has 162 career carries ...He has much to prove...
Old 05-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #9
dyce23
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 17204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtain_of_Steel View Post
Ben holds the ball to long? Well when you have to turn and run after 1/2 second from the snap, it takes a bit to get free. The WR's cant be running with their backs to him oblvious to the play.

Yet again, another post on Ben neededing to be taught to play qb, lol

Ben will excel when Mendy returns? Seriously? Mendy needs space to work? Yes because he dances around before moving forward when the little bit of hole we have, closes.

So lets reveiw, Ben is successful because of Mendy? Or won't be any good this year, till Mendy comes back?

the WR/TE group out there would be the PATS. Their 2 te's make up for a lot of short comings. But they have the Brady factor. I would still take Ben and ours over anyone, but the Pats could give it s run. The Oline could be the difference maker here.
Yes, Ben holds the ball too long. Why do people act like I've killed their dad when I say this? It's a simple critique, and it's not the end of the world. We still win majority of the time.

However, even though Ben does hold the ball too long, he also hasn't had a great O-Line to play behind. Yet, despite this, would you really try to argue that Ben has been a traditional 3-step drop, target, and pass type of QB in the past even when he's had time? Maybe you would, but majority of Steeler fans would not. Ben's great - Peyton he is not. He has played the QB position HIS way, and it has worked, but people are asking him to improve on an aspect of his game. Is that so absurd? Also, I wasn't suggesting that he doesn't know how to play QB. He does, and that's obvious. However, let's not be blind to the fact that Ben could use some film study so he can better understand what defenses are throwing at him and make quicker decisions.

Also, I never said Mendy was the reason for Ben's success. Check the bold, and then check your reading comprehension. My post was saying that Ben will excel behind the new line AND Mendy will be improved behind it. I just said that the new line would help improve both the passing and rushing aspects of the offense, and that in turn, would help to improve Roethlisberger's game. I don't see what's so hard to understand about that or what's so controversial for you to be getting all heated.

You might be right about the Pats. I didn't consider them.

Now, as for Mendy needing space to work. I said that because it's true, in my opinion. Mendy will be a much improved back behind this line once he's healthy. He isn't that tough type of back that we're used to, and he's not even as tough as we THOUGHT he was. However, he is still a really good RB in space. We just haven't had a line to offer him that space. As another poster said, recently Redman has looked better. It's my opinion, however, that this is because Redman was better suited behind the line we had because he was a straight-ahead runner. He hit the hole and took whatever yardage was given. Mendy is more of an athletic type of back and won't hit the hole hard the way we're used to from power backs. Behind a better line though, I think Mendy will have that split second more to evaluate the defense, make decisions, and get moving. I honestly think he'll be a 1,400 yard back if the line is, in fact, improved and we commit to running him. We can have a difference of opinion here, though.

To the other dude who spoke up about Redman - You may be right that Redman keeps that spot. I still feel as I said above, but the past year and a half we've seen Redman be the better RB between the two. I think that's due to his style and our line versus Mendy's style and our line, but I think they'll both improve behind this new one. I just think that Redman's ceiling is lower because of his style compared to Mendy's behind this same, improved line. I could be wrong though, and Redman could just continue to out perform Mendy. Either way, I honestly think we're okay in this position. Until I see us actually TRY and FAIL with either, then I'm going to continue to think that both of these men can get the job done (if I'm right about Mendy's potential behind this line). If I'm off about Mendy's potential, however, then we need to let him go at the end of this season. He's not worth the money if he's not a MUCH improved runner behind this new line.

Last edited by dyce23; 05-04-2012 at 04:54 PM.
dyce23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,518 Times in 4,486 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Maurkice Pouncey 100% recovered from ankle surgery

May 6th, 2012

Steelers All Pro Center Maurkice Pouncey is fully healed from ankle surgery this offseason. Pouncey struggled with the injuries to his ankle over the last two seasons. The surgery should make it so the chance of another injury is much smaller. Now that Pouncey is fully healed he will be able to participate in OTAs with the team this month.

With Pouncey fully healthy this offensive line will only get better. Pouncey is the key to the offensive line. He is the brains. He makes all the calls and can really help these guys around him. The addition of Pouncey in his rookie year made the offensive line so much better then it had been. His presence and leadership made the line look much better than it was.

Pouncey could have two new teammates on the starting offensive line with him. David DeCastro is almost assured to start. OT Mike Adams could also fight for a starting job. Pouncey can really influence the two of them and keep growing the offensive line. The faster these guys get ready and can make an impact the better this line will be.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...ck+and+Gold%29