Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Rolle prepared to make impact for Steelers

Rolle prepared to make impact for Steelers
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...d-shape-titans

By the Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, May 5, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated 51 minutes ago

Myron Rolle has had conversations with Jesse Jackson and rubbed elbows with Bill Clinton during a humanitarian trip to the Republic of Congo last summer.

He graduated Florida State’s pre-med program in 2½ years with a 3.75 GPA; he has scrubbed in for surgeries as a shadow; was awarded a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship; and received a master’s degree from Oxford University in medical anthropology.

But that just scratches the surface for this 25-year-old.

Rolle has had his own foundation for three years, he’s in the process of obtaining funding to open a free health services clinic and sports complex in his parents’ native land of the Bahamas and plans on finishing his medical degree and becoming a philanthropic neurosurgeon.

But the one thing that the Steelers safety has yet to accomplish is what drives him the most – making an NFL roster.

That might change this year, as Rolle was on the field Friday at the team’s minicamp for the first time since he signed with the Steelers in January.

“I think I have a decent shot if I do what I have to do,” Rolle said. “If I meet the standard of what Coach (Mike) Tomlin and the Steelers’ organization requires, I think I can put myself in position to earn a spot.”

After skipping a year of football to study abroad, the most success the three-year starting safety at Florida State has seen since being a sixth-round pick of Tennessee in 2010 was a year on the Titans’ practice squad.

Rolle, who is cousins with Giants safety Antrel Rolle and former Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle, went through a second training camp with the Titans last year but was released during the final cut down.

“I appreciated Jeff Fisher and the Titans for giving me that chance,” Rolle said. “I definitely appreciate Coach Tomlin and the Steelers giving me a chance here.”

Rolle signed a futures deal with the Steelers in January and provides a breath of youth into a position quickly aging. Ryan Clark is 32, Troy Polamalu is 31, Will Allen is 29 and Ryan Mundy is 27.

Rolle could provide what Allen did for the team last year — backup at both safety positions while playing special teams at a saving of nearly $1 million.

Rolle believes he is back in football shape after being away from the game for a year. He believes that’s what hurt him in Tennessee.

“Being in Oxford, where the weather isn’t great and rugby is probably the most important sport there, it is hard to stay in shape and do the things you need to do to play in the NFL,” Rolle said.

Even with his unique educational background and aspirations of becoming a neurosurgeon, football is something that Rolle is completed dedicated to now.

“After football is done, I hope my hands are still in good shape and I don’t have many concussions, so I will be able to perform surgeries on operating tables and travel and learn different cultures,” Rolle said.

Possibly losing two careers with one freak accident on the football field isn’t something Rolle dwells on.

“I can’t think about it because that will slow me down and I wouldn’t be as good a player as I possibly could be,” Rolle said. “If you look at it rationally, sure I am taking a chance, but life is about taking chances. I am excited about my opportunity here.”
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 05:29 AM   #2
ZiggyHeyward
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 23044
Default Re: Rolle prepared to make impact for Steelers

I'm a big fan of his I hope he pans out for us. Couldn't ask for a better character guy and I think his head makes up for his below average foot speed. Although I'm sure he could take Ryan Clark in a foot race at this point in his career.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
BengalDestroyer
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 16598

I'm a big fan too. Great character guy, I hope he beats out Will Allen and can contribute on special teams...
Old 05-31-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Rolle hitting the books with Steelers

UPDATED MAY 31, 2012

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Myron Rolle and Troy Polamalu walked off the Pittsburgh Steelers practice field on Thursday, sweat dripping down their faces, jerseys drenched, arms moving animatedly as they talked.

Was Rolle, a free agent trying to resurrect his career, picking the All-Pro safety's brain about the finer points of Dick LeBeau's defense?

Not exactly.

''We were talking about the expansion of the middle class and how resources are running out,'' Rolle said. ''How everyone wants to have two cars and three TVs in their house. But how are we going to sustain that with 6.4 billion people on the earth and growing?''

Rolle wasn't kidding. He rarely does. His concerns are legitimate, his passion for the topic obvious, his curiosity palpable.

That thirst for knowledge is also one of the reasons why the 25-year-old finds himself in Pittsburgh trying to revive his flagging career instead of enjoying life as an NFL starter.

The athletic 6-foot-2, 215-pound Rolle appeared well on his way to the pros after being named a third-team All-American following his junior year at Florida State in 2008. His playmaking ability and impeccable instincts shot Rolle up NFL Draft boards.

Rolle, however, had other plans. Rather than enter the draft he opted to spend a year at Oxford University after being named a Rhodes Scholar. While former college teammates - including Pittsburgh linebacker Lawrence Timmons - lived it up in the NFL in 2009, Rolle worked on his thesis and earned a master's degree in medical anthropology.

He planned all along to return to football, working out in a tiny 10x10 weight room and running on a grass-barren rugby field while his classmates went to the pub.

Rolle returned to the U.S. with his degree and a fair amount of football rust. Shaking it off proved more problematic than he imagined.

The Tennessee Titans chose him in the sixth-round of the 2010 Draft. He made the team but never saw the field during the regular season and was released prior to the 2011 season.

It was the first time in Rolle's life success hadn't come easily, or immediately.

His frustration grew to a point where he wondered if choosing Oxford over the NFL was the right idea. Regret, however, was only fleeting.

''Once I thought about being a Rhodes Scholar and how that could behoove my future interests, and how it's placed me in a social station of life of being a role model for other young people to pursue academics and athletics at the highest level, I think it was a great choice,'' Rolle said.

Even if he understands that it left some in the NFL wondering if he was really committed to football. Unlike most players his age just trying to grab a roster spot, Rolle has seemingly limitless options outside the game.

He could go on to medical school to become a neurosurgeon. He could pour all of his energy into his eponymous foundation, which focuses on ''health, wellness, educational and other charitable initiatives throughout the world.'' Or he could continue his campaign against obesity and diabetes, particularly in Native American culture.

Rolle will get to those things eventually. Just not now. If anything, he believes his decision to pursue an NFL career only proves how badly he wants to succeed.

''Despite having the option to do B, C and D I still want A,'' he said. ''I still want to be here even though I'm on the bottom.''

And Rolle certainly knows he's on the bottom. The Steelers already have two established veterans in Polamalu and Ryan Clark and quickly improving Ryan Mundy as the top backup. Chances of Rolle beating out Mundy appear to be slim, meaning he'll be fighting with a handful of other free agent safeties for one roster spot.

There was a period when Rolle would spend hours running over every practice in his mind, trying to read the tea leaves. It was exhausting.

''I'd see who's there, how many reps I'm getting,'' he said. ''That was so time consuming and just expending a lot of intellectual energy that I could have used to learn the playbooks, make calls on the field and different things of that nature.''

This time he's just trying to let it go. Rolle believes the rust he struggled with after returning from England is finally gone. He leans heavily on Polamalu and Clark for advice and despite his academic pedigree he doesn't feel like an outcast.

He worried about not being on the same ''wavelength'' with his teammates while playing for the Titans. It never happened. In a way, they took ownership of his success.

''They respected me and the journey that I've taken and they're proud of me,'' Rolle said. ''They feel like they've gone on the journey themselves being young African-American athletes. I feel proud to carry the mantle so to speak and serve as a representation for what a true student-athlete should be.''

Rolle's focus at the moment is on the athlete part of the equation. The student part with always be there.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...elers/10913291
Old 06-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I would love to see this kid make it over Will Allen. Youth and cheap!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:07 PM   #6
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,131 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Rolle hitting the books with Steelers

UPDATED MAY 31, 2012

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Myron Rolle and Troy Polamalu walked off the Pittsburgh Steelers practice field on Thursday, sweat dripping down their faces, jerseys drenched, arms moving animatedly as they talked.

Was Rolle, a free agent trying to resurrect his career, picking the All-Pro safety's brain about the finer points of Dick LeBeau's defense?

Not exactly.

''We were talking about the expansion of the middle class and how resources are running out,'' Rolle said. ''How everyone wants to have two cars and three TVs in their house. But how are we going to sustain that with 6.4 billion people on the earth and growing?''

Rolle wasn't kidding. He rarely does. His concerns are legitimate, his passion for the topic obvious, his curiosity palpable.

That thirst for knowledge is also one of the reasons why the 25-year-old finds himself in Pittsburgh trying to revive his flagging career instead of enjoying life as an NFL starter.

The athletic 6-foot-2, 215-pound Rolle appeared well on his way to the pros after being named a third-team All-American following his junior year at Florida State in 2008. His playmaking ability and impeccable instincts shot Rolle up NFL Draft boards.

Rolle, however, had other plans. Rather than enter the draft he opted to spend a year at Oxford University after being named a Rhodes Scholar. While former college teammates - including Pittsburgh linebacker Lawrence Timmons - lived it up in the NFL in 2009, Rolle worked on his thesis and earned a master's degree in medical anthropology.

He planned all along to return to football, working out in a tiny 10x10 weight room and running on a grass-barren rugby field while his classmates went to the pub.

Rolle returned to the U.S. with his degree and a fair amount of football rust. Shaking it off proved more problematic than he imagined.

The Tennessee Titans chose him in the sixth-round of the 2010 Draft. He made the team but never saw the field during the regular season and was released prior to the 2011 season.

It was the first time in Rolle's life success hadn't come easily, or immediately.

His frustration grew to a point where he wondered if choosing Oxford over the NFL was the right idea. Regret, however, was only fleeting.

''Once I thought about being a Rhodes Scholar and how that could behoove my future interests, and how it's placed me in a social station of life of being a role model for other young people to pursue academics and athletics at the highest level, I think it was a great choice,'' Rolle said.

Even if he understands that it left some in the NFL wondering if he was really committed to football. Unlike most players his age just trying to grab a roster spot, Rolle has seemingly limitless options outside the game.

He could go on to medical school to become a neurosurgeon. He could pour all of his energy into his eponymous foundation, which focuses on ''health, wellness, educational and other charitable initiatives throughout the world.'' Or he could continue his campaign against obesity and diabetes, particularly in Native American culture.

Rolle will get to those things eventually. Just not now. If anything, he believes his decision to pursue an NFL career only proves how badly he wants to succeed.

''Despite having the option to do B, C and D I still want A,'' he said. ''I still want to be here even though I'm on the bottom.''

And Rolle certainly knows he's on the bottom. The Steelers already have two established veterans in Polamalu and Ryan Clark and quickly improving Ryan Mundy as the top backup. Chances of Rolle beating out Mundy appear to be slim, meaning he'll be fighting with a handful of other free agent safeties for one roster spot.

There was a period when Rolle would spend hours running over every practice in his mind, trying to read the tea leaves. It was exhausting.

''I'd see who's there, how many reps I'm getting,'' he said. ''That was so time consuming and just expending a lot of intellectual energy that I could have used to learn the playbooks, make calls on the field and different things of that nature.''

This time he's just trying to let it go. Rolle believes the rust he struggled with after returning from England is finally gone. He leans heavily on Polamalu and Clark for advice and despite his academic pedigree he doesn't feel like an outcast.

He worried about not being on the same ''wavelength'' with his teammates while playing for the Titans. It never happened. In a way, they took ownership of his success.

''They respected me and the journey that I've taken and they're proud of me,'' Rolle said. ''They feel like they've gone on the journey themselves being young African-American athletes. I feel proud to carry the mantle so to speak and serve as a representation for what a true student-athlete should be.''

Rolle's focus at the moment is on the athlete part of the equation. The student part with always be there.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...elers/10913291
Resources are not running out. There are almost 7 billion in the world, however, America only has a little over 300 million people. It's India and China that has a population and disgusting existence. Countries like that that kill their wives if their families don't pay for them or kill their daughters because they don't have a dick.

It is simple to solve our problems in America. STOP Buying shit you don't have money for. YAh, that means stop using credit cards to buy that extra tv or car. If you do that, all these banks and crooks wouldnt have a pot to piss in. When you do not owe and own everything, you have true freedom. And it doesnt matter which clown is in the white house either...
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
Resources are not running out. There are almost 7 billion in the world, however, America only has a little over 300 million people. It's India and China that has a population and disgusting existence. Countries like that that kill their wives if their families don't pay for them or kill their daughters because they don't have a dick.

It is simple to solve our problems in America. STOP Buying shit you don't have money for. YAh, that means stop using credit cards to buy that extra tv or car. If you do that, all these banks and crooks wouldnt have a pot to piss in. When you do not owe and own everything, you have true freedom. And it doesnt matter which clown is in the white house either...
this address to an off topic blurb in a football article would be a great topic of discussion in the locker room.

in the meantime we will just pretend this attempted hijacking of a thread never happened.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #8
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
this address to an off topic blurb in a football article would be a great topic of discussion in the locker room.

in the meantime we will just pretend this attempted hijacking of a thread never happened.
locker room? You're not gonna make me shower and shit are you?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,330 Times in 3,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OX1947 View Post
locker room? You're not gonna make me shower and shit are you?
no, not at all. we prefer it dirty in there. it IS co-ed
Old 06-01-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
OX1947
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
no, not at all. we prefer it dirty in there. it IS co-ed
Niiiiiice.