Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 5,048 Times in 2,137 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Sweed struggles in Giants camp

Considering he was a second-round pick and had a big game in the 2006 National Championship game, Limas Sweed was one of the more interesting names on the roster for Giants rookie camp.

After the past few days, it'll be a shock if he's on the roster come Monday.
The veteran wide receiver struggled to make an impact and this afternoon and dropped three passes, thus reinforcing a knock on him from his days with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._limas_sw.html

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same old Sweed!

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,499 Times in 5,948 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Sweed struggles in Giants camp

too bad, this is definitely Sweed's last chance to make an NFL roster.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:16 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Former Steelers WR Limas Sweed Has Tryout with New York Giants

by Neal Coolong on May 13, 2012

Ex-Steelers WR Limas Sweed had a workout with the New York Giants over this weekend.

It reportedly did not go well.

Mike Garafalo of the New Jersey Star-Ledger reported Sweed worked with other veterans and rookies in the Giants minicamp, but he dropped three passes, and slipped in a route that led to an interception.

Wrote Garafalo:

"Sweed came here trying to make an impression. It's extremely unlikely at this point it was a good one."

Sweed also had a private workout with the Bengals earlier this offseason, but the lack of contract offer suggests that didn't go well either.

This may be the end of the line for the talented-but-troubled receiver. He was out of football in 2011, and with two failed tryouts under his belt now, short of possibly getting another look somewhere in training camp, Sweed's chances of playing in the NFL in 2012 or beyond are circling the drain.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...ew-york-giants
Old 05-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,880 Times in 1,626 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Nothing new here we all knew he would not pan out.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Limas Sweed Still Having Trouble Catching On With Another Team

Sunday, May 13th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

It is extremely tough not to root for wide receiver Limas Sweed, who was originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the second round of the 2008 NFL draft. The Steelers gave the 6 foot, 4 inch receiver out of Texas every opportunity to shake his demons since they drafted him, but they finally were forced to part ways with him last season as he had problems staying on the field and more importantly holding onto the football.

Sweed has had his tires kicked by a few teams following his release by the Steelers, and the latest team to kick those tires was the New York Giants, who invited Sweed to their rookie camp this weekend. Unfortunately Sweed did not impress according to Mike Garafolo of The Star-Ledger and he still apparently has problems holding on to the football as well. Garafolo wrote that Sweed had three drops on Saturday and detailed each by saying, "On one play, he nearly hauled in a pass up the right sideline but couldn't control the ball as cornerback E.J. Whitley (tryout, Abilene Christian) got his hand in there. The next two should've been easy catches but bounced right off Sweed's hands. Even on a catch he did make, Sweed didn't make it a clean grab. Sweed also slipped on one play, leading to an easy interception for cornerback Dante Hughes (veteran tryout)."

Sweed was not offered a contract by the Giants and their offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said prior to the Saturday tryout that Sweed looked rusty and in need of sharpening. Those are not the types of words you want circulated about you when attempting what could be your final shot at the NFL. Sweed reportedly has about three other tryouts lined up and he has already worked out for the Cincinnati Bengals and the Chicago Bears prior to getting his shot with the Giants.

Sweed only has seven catches in his career, with the last one coming in 2009. He was placed on the Reserve/Non-Football Injury/Illness List by Steelers late in 2009 as he was rumored to be dealing with personal issues. The following May Sweed was looking to get a fresh start but tore his left Achilles tendon during the final day of minicamp and he was placed on season-ending injured reserve as a result. Sweed saw his final chance with the Steelers evaporate quickly during training camp last year as he struggled with drops once again early and then injured his shoulder. The Steelers waived him injured and they were forced to carry him on injured reserved after clearing waivers until he was fully healed in mid September when he was released for good.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...-another-team/
Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Is Limas Sweed the Pittsburgh Steelers' Biggest NFL Draft Bust of All-Time?

By Lee Andrew Henderson | Yahoo! Contributor Network

In the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted offensive guard David DeCastro out of Stanford. The guard will have a lot of pressure on him to produce next season. Offensive line is the Steelers' biggest weakness even though the last offensive lineman they drafted in the first round--Maurkice Pouncey--became an immediate Pro Bowl player. Pouncey's success will probably result in fans expecting the same. Realistically DeCastro probably won't be as good as Pouncey as quickly but he should be able to produce. With every high pick in the NFL Draft, Steelers' fans just hope he's not another Limas Sweed.

Often we tend to put a bigger emphasis on teams and players that have played recently because they are still fresh in our mind. Maybe it is because of that way of thinking that I say Sweed has to be the biggest NFL Draft bust in the history of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Sweed had a remarkable college career at the University of Texas. The Longhorns' receiver recorded 545 yards and 5 touchdowns as a sophomore. That season Sweed had a game-winning catch to beat Ohio State and recorded eight receptions in the BCS National Championship game against USC. More on that game later.

Sweed had 801 receiving yards and 12 touchdowns in his junior season including touchdown catches in seven consecutive games. Sweed got injured his senior year but was healthy when he played in the Senior Bowl and went to the NFL Combine. His stock still fell due to his injury and the Steelers thought they got a steal when the first or second most talented wide receiver in the 2008 NFL Draft dropped all the way to the 2nd round and the 53rd pick.

The Steelers thought they acquired a great addition because Sweed was similar to Plaxico Burress in size and Pittsburgh hadn't replaced him since he left to play for the New York Giants. Sweed would work his way up to the fourth receiver in his rookie season, would play in 11 games and catch six passes for 64 yards. The following season Sweed would catch just one pass for five yards in nine games. Meanwhile, a rookie named Mike Wallace caught 39 passes for 756 yards, an impressive 19.4 yards per catch.

Sweed wouldn't play another game for the Steelers. During his tenure with the Steelers--if you can call it that--Sweed had problems with astigmatism, personal problems and an Achilles tendon injury. Remember that BCS National Championship game that Sweed played in? He had 8 receptions for 65 yards in that game. In his entire career with the Steelers--and his entire NFL career so far--Sweed had just 7 receptions for 69 yards.

Sweed was once supposed to be the predecessor to Burress so it's fitting that after he was done in Pittsburgh he went to New York. Sweed just tried out for the Giants but the tryout did not go well and it seems he will not make the team. Fortunately for the Steelers Wallace became the team's best receiver and they would also draft Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders the next few drafts.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...roethlisberger
Old 05-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galax Steeler View Post
Nothing new here we all knew he would not pan out.
As i recall there were plenty on here saying to give him another chance..

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:48 PM   #8
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah
Default The Limas Watch....

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth

Pittsburgh Steelers

Former Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed struggled in a tryout with the Giants.

The recent success of the Steelers helped the AFC North finish second in the Sporting News' analysis of the strongest divisions over the past five seasons.
Old 05-15-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,294 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

limas sweed pee'd the bed as a toddler, and still does
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170
My Mood: Blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by stb_steeler View Post
As i recall there were plenty on here saying to give him another chance..
Man, everyone wanted Sweed to succeed...