Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-06-2012, 12:57 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,284 Times in 4,396 Posts
My Mood: Worried
Default Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Max Starks?

Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Starks?

May 1st, 2012 by CraigSteelers

‘The Rookies’ got their jersey numbers on Monday. Perusing the long form roster, we can all heave a large sigh as #86 has not been re-issued already. I’m hoping the Steelers leave that one off the boards for a few years for those who had a soul and cherished our beloved Ward. But as I scanned the list, I noticed that Max Starks and that #78 were missing from that roster. Got me thinking – will we ever see that name again with that number?

Couple nights ago, @SteelersAddict on Twitter asked if the Steelers should make sure to bring back Starks now that they drafted Mike Adams. I emphatically replied ‘YES!’ And I mean it with all that twittered gusto. Bring back Starks, let he and Colon, Gilbert and Adams all duke it out during camp. The Steelers will be better for whomever comes out on top. It’s a win win for the Steelers. Of course this is working under the assumption that Starks is healthy enough for camp. But even if he is not, there is always the ever popular PUP list that will already be filled with stars like Mendenhall. Should Starks come back but not be ready, he could always ride the PUP list for 6 weeks and not count as a roster spot until those 6 weeks are up. Worth undertaking? I think so.

But will the Steelers bring Starks back? On paper, aside from their experience, Adams has some speed and arm length over Starks. I don’t think Adams will be the guy to start, but we would all be about as foolish as Cleveland Browns fans to think that the Steelers won’t groom him to hit that line as soon as possible. So what is Starks’ worth in the meantime? Not sure what kind of teaching license #78 has these days, but he could be one of the best teaching tools for the Steelers to use for a guy like Adams. But sometimes we know that the Steelers can walk away from a valuable tool like that for their younger players (see Release of Hines Ward). There is also the scenario that Willie Colon can stay healthy enough to make it onto the practice field in Latrobe this summer. We haven’t seen significant any playing time from this guy for some time. Will he be any good still after back to back season ending injuries?

I still feel that the Steelers need to bring back Starks for at least camp if not longer. He will be a good asset to the team – whether a starter or a backup. And the Steelers know better than anyone you can’t have too many offensive linemen waiting on the sidelines. In fact, Starks is well worth the roster spot for just that trend. Also, with all the other changes taking place this offseason by acquiring new OC Todd Haley, Big Ben might need his ‘best bud’ for some bro love on the sidelines when things get tough.

Could we see the #78 jersey in Latrobe this season? Maybe. But, it might be on Roethlisberger’s back again….

For the record and future: Jonathan Scott will NEVER enter a post when discussing the Steelers offensive line for next season. He is as good as out, and good riddance along with Kemoeatu.

http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/05/01...end-of-starks/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Steelers Rebooted O-Line: The End Of Max Starks?

Scott isn't as good as out unless they do re-sign Starks. Which is all the more reason to re-sign Starks.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #3
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936

^ Can't agree with more. Scott can't block much more than a soft breeze
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,527 Times in 1,532 Posts

for the right price, why not ? for the most part he played pretty good last year. if its between him, essex , or scott... hell yes i'd keep starks.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

I've been saying this all off season, we have to resign Starks. We need the depth and there is a lot of questions about our tackles. I'm the most optimistic about the O line out of everyone I know, but there are some questions: how will Adams transition into the NFL? Can Gilbert play LT well? Can Colon play more than 2 minutes a season? Will the injury bug bite again? I am confident Gilbert will evolve well and Adams will start this year. Im not sure that the injury bug won't bite again especially with Colon. And watching Johnathan Scott TRY to block is like watching somebody smash my knuckles with a ball peen hammer. We HAVE to sign Starks, he's cheap anyway, letting Starks go is like not buying the $10 5 year warranty on your $2000 tv, the insurance is worth the money.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,835 Times in 921 Posts

Scott is under the final year of his contract, so he gets paid whether he is cut or not. Economics of the situation are that the team doesnt have the cap $$ to sign Starks........even if he is healthy. I think we have seen the last of Starks in B&G, and it doesnt bother me a bit.

The guy had all the tools to be a pro bowl LT, but never seemed to interested in trying to become one.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Scott is under the final year of his contract, so he gets paid whether he is cut or not.
I don't think that's how it works. If I recall correctly, none of his salary was guaranteed.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I don't think that's how it works. If I recall correctly, none of his salary was guaranteed.
Maybe you are correct, but I thought theyhad to release him before free agency or have to pay the annual salary. Either way, I would not be sad at all to see the Max Starks era over in Pittsburgh.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:56 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

I don't think you could find a better reserve tackle than Starks if you tried right now if he can be had for a veteran qualifying contract.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Let me know when the Steelers sign starks. For now I am going under the assumption that he isnt on the team and will not be.