Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040
Default The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later

Even though it's been a year since Mendenhall decided to put the "Twit" in "Twitter", I gotta admit that it still bothers me. Every time I watch him, read about him, or think about him, the first thing that comes to my mind is "what a moron - I can't believe I have to hold my nose and root for this guy." I think this every time, automatically. Those messages were just so offensive, and so incredibly ignorant - just mind-boggling. I wish the Rooneys would have dropped him immediately, and I still want to see him gone.

Does anybody else still feel this way?
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:04 AM   #2
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206
Default Re: The Mendenhall bin Laden tweets - a year later

I'm on the fence. He (and most running backs today, not all, but most) are replaceable, almost immediately. In a way i'd like to see him back.......and in another way i'd like to see Redman step up and be THE guy. It's a tough call when someone at this particular position has that severe of an injury. How long do you want to wait it out and mess around?
I will say, though, personally, i don't like the guy. Not at all. He actually said a number of offensive things. The Bin Laden comments aren't the ones i even remember the most...it was the ridiculous "slaves" comments.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
FanSince72
Team President

Member Number: 17502
Thanked 1,055 Times in 473 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
Even though it's been a year since Mendenhall decided to put the "Twit" in "Twitter", I gotta admit that it still bothers me. Every time I watch him, read about him, or think about him, the first thing that comes to my mind is "what a moron - I can't believe I have to hold my nose and root for this guy." I think this every time, automatically. Those messages were just so offensive, and so incredibly ignorant - just mind-boggling. I wish the Rooneys would have dropped him immediately, and I still want to see him gone.

Does anybody else still feel this way?
Not me.

I agreed with Mendenhall on two points; One, that celebrating death is wrong - especially when that death is a state-sponsored assassination and Two, that we HAVE only heard one side of the whole 9/11 story and we should have been allowed to hear the whole story.

I would have liked to see bin Laden brought to trial and thus be able to understand once and for all just what transpired that day and exactly who was involved and to what extent, so that one way or another, we would know for sure.

9/11 was a criminal act, not an act of war and should have been treated as such. The only reason anyone believed bin Laden was behind the attacks is because George Bush said so. He may very well have been absolutely correct in that assertion, but with all due respect to the office of president, Bush was not an investigator and I'd rather have seen a proper investigation and a trial and seen evidence presented rather than take one man's word for it.

Back in '93, when the Trade Center was first attacked with a truck bomb, it was treated as a criminal investigation as it should have been. By '95, all of the players had been identified, arrested, tried and convicted. No wars, no assassinations, just a solid law enforcement investigation that provided answers and justice.

That's the way it should be and the way it should have been done with 9/11.
FanSince72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
zcoop
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 20513

Got no problem with Mendenhal. Am an African American and former military. Funny how some attack the messenger and ignore the message.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
zsheik22
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanSince72 View Post
Not me.

I agreed with Mendenhall on two points; One, that celebrating death is wrong - especially when that death is a state-sponsored assassination and Two, that we HAVE only heard one side of the whole 9/11 story and we should have been allowed to hear the whole story.

I would have liked to see bin Laden brought to trial and thus be able to understand once and for all just what transpired that day and exactly who was involved and to what extent, so that one way or another, we would know for sure.

9/11 was a criminal act, not an act of war and should have been treated as such. The only reason anyone believed bin Laden was behind the attacks is because George Bush said so. He may very well have been absolutely correct in that assertion, but with all due respect to the office of president, Bush was not an investigator and I'd rather have seen a proper investigation and a trial and seen evidence presented rather than take one man's word for it.

Back in '93, when the Trade Center was first attacked with a truck bomb, it was treated as a criminal investigation as it should have been. By '95, all of the players had been identified, arrested, tried and convicted. No wars, no assassinations, just a solid law enforcement investigation that provided answers and justice.

First off, you have no clue what the situation was. The seal who got NO CREDIT shot him because they said he was picking up a weapon. How many dead seals do you want to bring this guy to America?
zsheik22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Wallace108

Member Number:

Quote:
Back in '93, when the Trade Center was first attacked with a truck bomb, it was treated as a criminal investigation as it should have been.
Perhaps if Clinton had treated the '93 bombing like an act of war instead of a criminal case, bin Laden wouldn't have been around 9 years later and 9/11 wouldn't have happened.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
Perhaps if Clinton had treated the '93 bombing like an act of war instead of a criminal case, bin Laden wouldn't have been around 9 years later and 9/11 wouldn't have happened.
clinton did infact take a swing a binladen , and if my memory serves me correct was heavily criticized for it by the GOP...

Quote:
U.S. missiles pound targets in Afghanistan, Sudan

August 20, 1998

U.S. officials say the six sites attacked in Afghanistan were part of a network of terrorist compounds near the Pakistani border that housed supporters of Saudi millionaire Osama bin Laden.
American officials say they have convincing evidence that bin Laden, who has been given shelter by Afghanistans Islamic rulers, was involved in the bombings of the east African embassies.
In the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, the El Shifa Pharmaceutical Industries factory which U.S. officials say was housing chemical weapons was also attacked.
http://articles.cnn.com/1998-08-20/u...ullah?_s=PM:US

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
zsheik22
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 9466

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
clinton did infact take a swing a binladen , and if my memory serves me correct was heavily criticized for it by the GOP...

http://articles.cnn.com/1998-08-20/u...ullah?_s=PM:US

...and we wonder why they hate us?

Basically we just lobbed some missiles over, hitting and killing who knows what and called it a day. Nice work, team.
zsheik22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Quote:
Not me.

Everybody has an opinion on the matter. I'm indifferent to Mendy. He's just another athlete saying controversial things.
I respect your right to an opinion however 9/11 was an act of war. Three separate targets on American soil made it that way, IMO. By your logic then maybe you believe Pearl Harbor was a criminal act aswell.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

The tweets only annoy me because of how dumb and immature he comes off sounding. If you get a shot at an enemy of that magnitude, you just take him out with no emotion and move on........it's your solemn duty.

Quote:

Indeed, and perhaps had the W Bush administration continued the counter-terrorism program that Clinton's administration had in place, we may have avoided 9/11 completely. All Bush would've had to do was SOMETHING besides NOTHING in counter-terrorism, but instead decided that the bombing of the USS Cole didn't require a response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace108 View Post
To be fair, Jimmy Carter did sign authorization to start funding Afghan guerrillas against the Soviet invasion, but Regan escalated the funding to a large degree, and HW Bush continued that, which gave birth to Al-Qaeda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afghan_...ghan_civil_war

It's hard to blame any one administration during the transitional time period in which Al-Qaeda was born, but clearly not enough attention was being paid to what the leadership was planning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operati...lone#Aftermath

Quote:
Critics of U.S. foreign policy consider Operation Cyclone to be substantially responsible for setting in motion the events that led to the terrorist attacks of September 11th, 2001 commonly known as the term blowback. It is also probable that some Taliban presently fighting the U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan were in fact trained, equipped, or funded by the U.S. or its allies during the 1980s, at which time they were more commonly referred to as "freedom fighters"
Either way, GW Bush's apathy on the subject is unforgivable, and the invasion of Iraq was a mistake of epic proportions.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote