Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495
Default Need info on Max Starks

Could someone please tell me the likelihood of Max Starks being back next year? Thanks in advance. I think Max Starks is a solid LT and I'm really hoping he is back next year. I don't see a replacement on the Steelers that comes close to Starks. I am still incredulous that Scott started last year. I am not sure why Starks is so undervalued. Can someone fill me in?
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
harrison'samonster
Living Legend

Member Number: 17630
Thanked 9,087 Times in 3,745 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Re: Need info on Max Starks

I can't answer your question, but it would be nice to see them bring him in to compete for a spot. It always seemed like Roethlisberger and him got along really well too
have you ever wondered what your life would have been like if you became a hired goon right out of school? you would have had a chance to learn the ropes from other goons and rub shoulders with all kinds of seedy characters. oh the stories you would be able to tell.
harrison'samonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrison'samonster View Post
I can't answer your question, but it would be nice to see them bring him in to compete for a spot. It always seemed like Roethlisberger and him got along really well too
Not just to compete for a spot but to be on the team. We need depth and Scott is worthless.
tanda10506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,341 Times in 3,529 Posts

marcus gilbert is our starting left tackle.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #5
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,111 Times in 1,811 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
marcus gilbert is our starting left tackle.
Unless Mike Adams gets the call. I recall Colbert pondering the whole Adams/Gilbert decision, but as of right now, yes, Gilbert is starting at LT.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

If Starks is back, it's more likely than not to replace Jonathan Scott as the swing tackle. His rehabbing is ahead of schedule and he is already running. He previously said that he should be ready to go by mid-July, but he might even be healthy a bit earlier. Honestly, if I were to make an educated guess, I would say there's about a 50/50 chance that the Steelers cut Scott and re-sign Starks to fulfill the 3rd tackle spot. There are many factors at play, however, such as Starks' willingness to accept a veteran minimum, qualifying one year contract, Scott's willingness to take a pay cut to keep his job, and, generally, what the coaches think of each player. And, of course, Starks' health.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM   #7
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,106 Posts

To answer the OP question, Starks was a guy that was athletic, huge, had long arms....but played soft and lacked intensity coming out of college at Florida. He continued that trend by playing soft with a lack of intensity and IMO, never lived up to what he could have been.

He became the default LT when Marvel Smith retired due to injury and the Steelers never drafting an adequate replacement. IMO, Starks should have been a RT, but played LT and contributed to our mediocre Oline.

Why is he undervalued?? Lets just say he is overvalued by the Steeler fans. He is valued appropriately by the NFL front offices and scouting community, as a guy with above average skill and size that combined below average motivation to become a career RT.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,341 Times in 3,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
IMO, Starks should have been a RT, but played LT and contributed to our mediocre Oline.

in defense of starks, he WAS a RT until the young willie colon (who some think should be a career RG) stole the job out from under his nose and sat his ass on the bench.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:23 AM   #9
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

I don't like Gilbert starting over Starks at LT. Gilbert had problems with speed rushers in my view. I think he is going to have trouble going against the other team's best rusher week in and week out. He will also be new to the position. I personally feel it would be the best case scenario to start Starks at LT, keep Gilbert at RT, and let Adams build strength and experience for a year before taking over LT. I think Adams is pegged to be the LT. From these responses it seems like Starks is going to be with the Steelers next year which I am happy about. Thanks for the info.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
in defense of starks, he WAS a RT until the young willie colon (who some think should be a career RG) stole the job out from under his nose and sat his ass on the bench.
Tony, this has always been my problem with Starks. Even back in the 04 Senior Bowl the reports on him were..."has the look of a dominant run blocker, if he wants to".

The guy has had the size to be elite in the league, but never the fire to compete. He should have stayed at RT and we should have drafted a LT to replace Marvel Smith, but were too busy trying to get Ben some "weapons" on offense.

Here is another report of Starks his draft year and nothing on it is something I would disagree on. Pasquerelli did the writeup.

Declining: Tackle Max Starks (Florida) is one of the nicest kids you'd ever want to meet, a high character guy, and will be on an NFL roster in 2004. But his sluggish times, in the 5.6 range, have really hurt him. There are concerns about his footwork, ability to adjust, and his weight. He can play both tackle spots and guard, is a hard worker, and wants to be good. But he has probably slipped to the third round now