Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-08-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191
Default Re: Need info on Max Starks

It's hard to argue that Starks has been a solid contributor at more than one position though. For a third round pick to become a competent starter at two positions on the offensive line says a lot of positive things about him. At the same time, his "starting" ship has sailed. He would, however, represent, really solid depth if he's willing to sign at vet minimum. I love to hear any reasonable argument in favor of Scott over him.
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:50 PM   #12
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,445 Times in 1,627 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbelieve View Post
I love to hear any reasonable argument in favor of Scott over him.
The only benefit of Scott over Starks is 1. cost (Starks may want more $$) 2. age and injury (Scott is younger and less injury history) 3. Position Flexibile (Scott can play OT or Guard if needed).

I'm honestly good with Jon Scott backing up at RT. With Essex also signed, I think its between those 2 and Chris Scott to see who makes the team if they only keep 9 O linemen. Gilbert, Adams, Colon are locks to make the 53.

1 of those 3 is gone. If they keep 10, then all 3 probably make it.
Old 05-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,290 Times in 3,476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The only benefit of Scott over Starks is 1. cost (Starks may want more $$) 2. age and injury (Scott is younger and less injury history) 3. Position Flexibile (Scott can play OT or Guard if needed).

I'm honestly good with Jon Scott backing up at RT. With Essex also signed, I think its between those 2 and Chris Scott to see who makes the team if they only keep 9 O linemen. Gilbert, Adams, Colon are locks to make the 53.

1 of those 3 is gone. If they keep 10, then all 3 probably make it.
i'd take essex over scott anyday
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:10 PM   #14
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
and I am of the opposite thought.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #15
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I think your opinion of Starks' quality of play is way too colored by your view of him underutilizing his potential. Regardless of how much effort he really puts in from down to down, it's impossible to deny that he is at the least a competent, starting quality left tackle. Is he a Pro Bowler? No. But would he be at least the third best tackle on the team this season, behind Willie Colon and Marcus Gilbert? Absolutely.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,481 Times in 5,938 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post

I think it's difficult to have a good OL with either Scott or Essex starting for any extended period of time. both of them are backups to be used in extreme emergencies only.

my favorite position for both of them is "Left Out"...
Old 05-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #17
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodens Grav View Post
I think your opinion of Starks' quality of play is way too colored by your view of him underutilizing his potential. Regardless of how much effort he really puts in from down to down, it's impossible to deny that he is at the least a competent, starting quality left tackle. Is he a Pro Bowler? No. But would he be at least the third best tackle on the team this season, behind Willie Colon and Marcus Gilbert? Absolutely.
I will agree that he would be the 3rd best OT on the team....IF he were a Steeler. In Fact, I may say he is 4th behind Mike Adams.

Is he ha competent starting quality LT..........if you consider a mediocre LT that probably ranks 25-32 in the NFL.....sure. At this point he is a free agent rehabbing from an injury.

I think the opinion of many on this board is tained because at this moment he is not a steeler lineman. Oh, and if you want me to name 30 OT's in the NFL that would be better than Starks, not a problem. Just about every LT in our division and most of the RT's are better than him.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I will agree that he would be the 3rd best OT on the team....IF he were a Steeler. In Fact, I may say he is 4th behind Mike Adams.

Is he ha competent starting quality LT..........if you consider a mediocre LT that probably ranks 25-32 in the NFL.....sure. At this point he is a free agent rehabbing from an injury.

I think the opinion of many on this board is tained because at this moment he is not a steeler lineman. Oh, and if you want me to name 30 OT's in the NFL that would be better than Starks, not a problem. Just about every LT in our division and most of the RT's are better than him.
The only tackle on the Steelers who is arguably better than Starks is Colon who is not a LT. Starks is better than Gilbert. Starks at LT allowed 4.5 sacks in 12 starts and Gilbert at RT allowed 7 sacks in 13 starts. Gilbert didn't have to play against DPOY Suggs, who Starks held to zero sacks after Suggs embarassed Scott with 3 and 2 FF in the first game. Mike Adams hasn't even played a game and he is better than Starks? Wow. Starks was 14th in sacks allowed last season so you might have a hard time finding 30 tackles better than him.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #19
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Found this about Starks coming in last season...

"First I want to take a look at the career Stats of Max Starks. Over his 7 year career he has started 68 games. In those 68 games he allowed 33 sacks, been called for false starts 10 times, and holding 7 times. Just to put those is a sort of perspective I wan to show the stats of Joe Thomas of the Browns, because many see him as the best LT in the NFL. Over a 5 year career he has started 68 games the same as Starks, however he has allowed only 19.75 sacks, been called for 17 false starts and 5 holding. As you can see Starks isn’t the best in the league, but I think he is at best a huge improvement over the current O-line."
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

The problem with Starks is that he is inconsistent. I think after his neck injury, he sat on the couch eating burgers and Twinkies. He showed up at Ben's wedding weighing around 400 lbs (grossly overweight for his size). He worked out for the Vikings and they didn't want him. Then we called him after Essex and Scott both got whipped like rented mules (Scott getting injured as well). We were desperate for some help and he was desperate for a job. Sure it worked out OK and he helped Gilbert along, but I think Gilbert is simply more talented and healthier (as well as driven). I don't see him on this team again with these draftees (unless there are some serious injuries). It reminds me of when we called the moving company a couple of years ago to get a long-snapper; Jared Retkofsky.