Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #21
steelbelieve
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 21191
Default Re: Need info on Max Starks

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
The only benefit of Scott over Starks is 1. cost (Starks may want more $$) 2. age and injury (Scott is younger and less injury history) 3. Position Flexibile (Scott can play OT or Guard if needed).

I'm honestly good with Jon Scott backing up at RT. With Essex also signed, I think its between those 2 and Chris Scott to see who makes the team if they only keep 9 O linemen. Gilbert, Adams, Colon are locks to make the 53.

1 of those 3 is gone. If they keep 10, then all 3 probably make it.
sorry. nope. I'll grant the obvious cost factor; but the only thing worse than Scott at tackle, is Scott at guard--and I'll take Starks on one and a half legs (and a decade older) over Scott with two healthy ones.
steelbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #22
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,621 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbelieve View Post
sorry. nope. I'll grant the obvious cost factor; but the only thing worse than Scott at tackle, is Scott at guard--and I'll take Starks on one and a half legs (and a decade older) over Scott with two healthy ones.
Fine, that is your opinion and I have mine. After watching technique on the 2 over the past several years, I would have to say that Scott has better pad level, knee bend and quickness than Starks to play guard.

Funny how the masses forget that Jon Scott played admirably in place of Starks when he left in 2010 with a neck injury, on the way to winning the AFC title.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Fine, that is your opinion and I have mine. After watching technique on the 2 over the past several years, I would have to say that Scott has better pad level, knee bend and quickness than Starks to play guard.

Funny how the masses forget that Jon Scott played admirably in place of Starks when he left in 2010 with a neck injury, on the way to winning the AFC title.
Scott couldn't have played admirably or I wouldn't have been so upset last year week 1 when he was the starting LT. If Scott was a better player than Starks he would not have lost his job to Starks. Mike Adams should be groomed for LT for one year- he has really good feet. Starks is a serviceable LT until Adams can take over. Gilbert is not a LT imo.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #24
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Scott couldn't have played admirably or I wouldn't have been so upset last year week 1 when he was the starting LT. If Scott was a better player than Starks he would not have lost his job to Starks. Mike Adams should be groomed for LT for one year- he has really good feet. Starks is a serviceable LT until Adams can take over. Gilbert is not a LT imo.
Gilbert can plat LT better than Starks. Just watch and learn this year.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:07 AM   #25
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,512 Times in 858 Posts

Scott is under a $2 mil+ contract for 2012. Starks will play for the vet minimum. Scott will go to camp because Starks will miss the first couple of weeks. Once Starks is cleared, Scott will be cut.

Adams will not play much this year, unless Colon goes back on IR ( not a discounted possibility). IMO, Adams is basically a much younger version of Starks.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:09 PM   #26
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Gilbert can plat LT better than Starks. Just watch and learn this year.
Maybe we will find out. Hope you are right. I am skeptical.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:11 PM   #27
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaDave View Post
IMO, Adams is basically a much younger version of Starks.
Adams looks like a more fluid athlete than Starks. Lighter on his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydwoodson View Post
Maybe we will find out. Hope you are right. I am skeptical.
I was skeptical of Gilbert until I saw him in preseason game last year. Nice Kick slide, good footwork, keeps his shoulders square to the line and is a massive dude to handle rushers.

Only think I saw was he was high in his sets and got bulled when guys got under him, but that was corrected by later in the season. He's looking on track to be a young marvel Smith IMO.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:08 PM   #28
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

I wouldn't mind seeing Max Starks around for depth - deep depth. Obviously, Scott was the weakest link, but Starks is a big underachiever. Gotta have some heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUOTE=El-Gonzo Jackson
Why is he undervalued?? Lets just say he is overvalued by the Steeler fans. He is valued appropriately by the NFL front offices and scouting community, as a guy with above average skill and size that combined below average motivation to become a career RT.
You nailed it 100%. Starks seems pretty good when you look around and there's absolutely nothing else. After the last five years, Steelers fans need to get their expectations back up to where they should be. Frankly, I'm incredulous that anyone could think that Starks is undervalued. An NFL-caliber O-line is coming, ready or not.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:30 PM   #29
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Max Starks around for depth - deep depth. Obviously, Scott was the weakest link, but Starks is a big underachiever. Gotta have some heart.

You nailed it 100%. Starks seems pretty good when you look around and there's absolutely nothing else. After the last five years, Steelers fans need to get their expectations back up to where they should be. Frankly, I'm incredulous that anyone could think that Starks is undervalued. An NFL-caliber O-line is coming, ready or not.
Yes I think he is undervalued. He was released before the start of last season. That is a really low value assigned to him. He came back to start 12 games allowing 4.5 sacks including holding DPOY Suggs to 1 assisted tackle. He was 14th in the league amongst starting tackles in sacks allowed. It takes heart to be a starting player in any professional sport. There is no higher level of competition. How many years pro experience do you have to question someone's heart?
Old 05-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #30
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Yes, that was a very low value assigned to him, and 31 other NFL teams seemed to agree. Lucky for him, the Steelers were down to only one legitimate, healthy OT, so there was an opening for a space filler.

How many years of NFL front office experience do you have that allows you to question the uniform assessment of all 32 NFL teams?

An NFL-caliber O-line is coming to Pittsburgh, ready or not.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote