Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,828 Times in 6,085 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Chris Hoke Says It Could Take A Year Or Two For Ta’amu

Hoke Says It Could Take A Year Or Two For Ta’amu To Play Comfortably In Steelers Scheme

Thursday, May 10th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Chris Hoke may have retired this offseason, but he stays active in the media and he joined 93.7 The Fan Thursday morning for an interview. Hoke, who backed up Casey Hampton at nose tackle for the Pittsburgh Steelers for over a decade, was asked about fourth round draft pick Alameda Ta'amu. Hoke said, "I tell you what, he's going to be a good football player, I don't know if hell be ready to go right away playing the nose tackle, maybe doing some situational things next season, but this guy is going to be a good football player for a lot of years here."

Hoke was asked next how long it takes for the light to come on for a young nose tackle and get comfortable with the Steelers scheme at the position. Hoke said in a lengthy reply, "Well I think it depends on who you are and what kind of scheme you learned in college, but I say it would take a year or two. I mean when you look at Hamp, Hamp came in I remember our rookie year and he started after his first seven games. I mean Hamp is a freak of nature though and this guy is as gifted of a talent that I've ever been around, especially when he was young. You know you look at a guy coming in here and you've got Coach Mitch, who I believe is the best 3-4 defensive line coach in the NFL, who really breaks you down. He doesn't care what you did when you were in college. He doesn't care what techniques you were taught and he'll tell you that. He goes; I don't care what you learned when you were at Washington and I don't care what you learned when you were at Texas. He goes; you're going to play the Steeler way. Then he'll break you down. He'll take away all the things you learned in college and teach you how to play nose tackle, or defensive end, how the Steelers want you to play with great technique, with great hands, with great leverage. You know staying square and all those kind of things that he teaches and he professes. And that's the way we've been successful over the years. So i see Ta'amu learning, growing. He looked the part, you know I know he's got to get in shape. You know a lot of rookies when they come in, their first mini-camp, their first OTA's, they didn't train for football. They trained to run the 40 and run these shuttle drills and now they've got to get back into football shape and they'll do that. But I know once he get in shape, and the rest of these rookies in shape, its going to be a good class."

Pretty awesome reply to a great question if you ask me and it pretty much goes along with what I have been writing since the Steelers drafted Ta'amu. The general thinking with most is that the nose tackle position is just about eating up space and handling double teams, and that they do not have to understand much outside of that. Not only will defensive line coach John Mitchell break down Ta'amu and rebuild him to play the position the Steeler way as Hoke says, but he will also be taught the other nuances of the defensive scheme as well.

It is easy to point back to the rookie season of Hampton and conclude that because he started half way through his rookie season that Ta'amu should be able to as well. Hoke made sure to point out that Hampton was a freak of nature and keep in mind that he was a first round pick as well. Ta'amu is not as technically sound as Hampton was his rookie season and he was drafted in the fourth round because of that. Now it is not out of the question that the rookie out of Washington could progress as fast as Hampton did, but I would not lay down any money on it happening. Mitchell will not play him until he is ready unless injuries force his hand to do so. I would be prepared for Ta'amu to see the field less than 100 plays this season, and if it is more than that, it is because he is a freak of nature like Hampton was or because several injuries have thinned the position.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...cheme/10766657
Old 05-11-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,087 Times in 4,587 Posts
Default Re: Chris Hoke Says It Could Take A Year Or Two For Ta’amu

chris hoke is freaking awesome! IMO one of the most humble, loyal, underated steelers ever. and thats saying alot being that he didnt have a stellar career where he did alot more than just be there and be prepared. when he stepped in, he was star quality and his insight and current fandom is primo.

Quote:
you've got Coach Mitch, who I believe is the best 3-4 defensive line coach in the NFL, who really breaks you down. He doesn't care what you did when you were in college. He doesn't care what techniques you were taught and he'll tell you that. He goes; I don't care what you learned when you were at Washington and I don't care what you learned when you were at Texas. He goes; you're going to play the Steeler way. Then he'll break you down. He'll take away all the things you learned in college and teach you how to play nose tackle, or defensive end, how the Steelers want you to play with great technique, with great hands, with great leverage.

'nuff said. THIS is what makes them so good.

as for ta'amu, everyone will be looking for the next hampton, just like the next bettis. but like hoke pointed out, bettis was a once in a generation player selected top 10 in the 1st round.

alameda should be fine replacing hampton for many years once he is molded, doesnt lose patience, and refrains from getting lazy.

hoke AND hampton are big shoes to fill X2.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 AM   #3
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Hampton once said he has 3 plays to learn. Rush left, right, or straight. We are not talking about the QB position here, it's a Nose Tackle. It's going to take 1-2 years to be able to play that position?
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Hampton once said he has 3 plays to learn. Rush left, right, or straight. We are not talking about the QB position here, it's a Nose Tackle. It's going to take 1-2 years to be able to play that position?
to get used to the level of competition he's going to be up against, it could. sure the idea behind it might be easy, doing it is a problem when you're actually supposed to take a double team against two men that weigh over 300 lbs

also the NT has a critical role in the 3-4. learning the system is one thing, but making it automatic probably does take 1-2 seasons
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #5
Sixburgher
Banned

Member Number: 17648

Quote:
Exactly. Yet Ben catches shit for a few joking comments about the learning curve involved in implementing an entirely new offense. Go figure.
Sixburgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Agreed......Hear this all the time....Very overrated
Old 05-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,467 Times in 3,546 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeltheone View Post
Agreed......Hear this all the time....Very overrated
taamu is going to have to work with the strength and conditioning coaches, getting strong enough to handle an NFL season doesn't happen overnight.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

There is more to nose-tackle than "rush right, straight or left".

Playing defensive or offensive line is all about footwork and keeping your center of gravity lower than the opposing players. Hand placement, leverage, and using your hips to gain physical advantage are all crcial skills that take time for the muscle memory to develop.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
There is more to nose-tackle than "rush right, straight or left".

Playing defensive or offensive line is all about footwork and keeping your center of gravity lower than the opposing players. Hand placement, leverage, and using your hips to gain physical advantage are all crcial skills that take time for the muscle memory to develop.
I hear what your saying. Technique and strength absolutely. But I doubt Dontari Poe won't be playing in KC on opening day. But I guess the point of this is "getting up to speed". He could start day one but with some seasoning and experience he will only get better and better and that takes game reps and knowing your opponents.

By the way I hope your name Riddle of Steel has something to do with this quote:

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

or this:

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women."
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Gonna miss that guy playing.