Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,541 Times in 4,063 Posts
My Mood: Cool
Default Steelers' reactions show how weak Arians playbook was

Steelers players reaction to Todd Haley’s playbook shows how weak Arians playbook was

May 11th, 2012

Todd Haley has handed out the Steelers new playbook. From the reaction of the players it is nothing like the playbook Bruce Arians has put out in the past. Ben Roethlisberger compared it to learning “Rosetta Stone”. That is expected when a new coordinator comes in. You get his playbook rather than the one you were using.

There were two comments though that stood out to me with the players talking about the new playbook. One was from Ben Roethlisberger and the other from Emmanuel Sanders.

Roethlisberger when asked about the similarities in the playbook:

“The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I’ve seen so far, there’s a 90 percent change.”

Emmanuel Sanders tweet about the depth of the playbook:

This new playbook is something serious!!!!! Bout to go old-school and make some flashcards.

Both liken the playbook to a completely new world. It makes this playbook seem more in depth and brand new. A playbook from a new coach should be new but not 90% new. If the Steelers had a good playbook before it would be 50-60% new. The overall scheme may change some but the plays even with new terminology should not be that different. It should not be that out of the ordinary. These two guys saying it is tells us even more about Bruce Arians.

Fans have been complaining for years about how predictable Bruce Arians was with the Steelers scheme. We all knew what type of play was coming when the Steelers would line up on offense. So did our opponents. They knew where the ball was going before the ball was even snapped. It showed in our offense. It showed in Roethlisberger’s grimace when he would get hit. We have all of these weapons and yet we can not score points. This makes sense as to why now.

People questioned the offensive line. They questioned Ben Roethlisberger. They questioned the wide receivers. The main question they asked was why does Ben hold on to the ball so long and take hits? Yes the offensive line was inconsistent. Yes Ben likes to be a hero. No the receivers did not get open. Now we understand though that the receivers may have not been able to get open because Arians playbook was so easy to figure out that it took more time for them to get open. If the defense knew what was coming they could roll the coverage to the play. If no one is open Ben had to hold the ball so he got hit more. So even though you can put some blame on the players most of it should go to Arians.

There were so many times when I sat on the couch and said that guy missed his hot read. Ben should have hit him right off the bat. The blitz was coming. Now seeing how much these guys think Haley’s playbook is so in depth it makes me wander if they did miss their hot read or not. Was there even a true hot read? Or, was a bubble screen Arians way of having a hot read?

How easy and how much lack of depth was there in Arians playbook? Roethlisberger is looking for his position coach to not throw to much at him at one time in the new playbook. That is fine this early but the fact that he needs to really take it slow shows how little was actually in Arians playbook. Sanders wanting to get flash cards to learn the plays says even more. Sanders is a film room junkie. While injured he eluded to making his friends angry because he would watch the live game like he was watching film. He is a student of the game. For him to be this taken a back by the playbook says we needed a new playbook.

So while these guys may take some time to get used to the new playbook it will help them in the end. They are going from a predictable offense which seemed to be pretty vanilla to and offense run by Haley that will play to their strengths. They will get better routes. They will read coverages and they will find holes in the defense. That will give them the ability to get open faster. It will make the line look better. It will get the ball out of Roethlisberger’s hands faster so he gets hit less. Thus we will score more points. The pressure can be taken off of the defense a little bit. They can get some rest. It will make the entire team better.

So even if it takes all summer to learn. It seems like Haley’s new playbook is going to be worth it. This offense will be better under Haley.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...ck+and+Gold%29
Old 05-11-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,666 Times in 2,410 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Steelers' reactions show how weak Arians playbook was

ive been saying it for years. fire arians

it's unfortunate that he's going to ruin andrew luck's career

Last edited by Fire Arians; 05-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
3rdandlong
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 17001

Yeah, Arians play calling was very predictable. I can't wait to play the Colts and be able to call what play they are going to run on offense
3rdandlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,683 Posts

totally agree with the article above. arians wasnt an innovator. he believed a "gameplan" was a simple match of wits between him and the d-coord, yet the rare instances our offense was rolling it was more of a factor of our kick ass offensive weapons making kick ass plays.

rarely was it because bruce outsmarted the opponent of put the players in the position to succeed.

in defense of bruce though, there were about 3-4 instances in the game where he would absolutely guess correctly with the right call vs the right defense and ben would have 4 targets running completely wide open. this usually resulted in ben chucking up the ball deep to mike wallace for an incomplete or int (see superbowl).

todd haley seems to be the type that will always study the oponents strengths and weaknesses and devise a gameplan around that, instead of arians saying "we will do what we do regardless of opponent, impose our will,
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #5
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

I hate to be the dissenting voice (I find myself doing this more and more often around here-- I genuinely apologize...dont want to be the rain on the parade all the time)....but....

Strangely enough, my problem with Bruce Arians was never his playbook, but his inability to pick plays in an effective manner from that playbook and to string them together into a successful drive. Ganted, I am no offensive mastermind or even a coach, I just played through high school.

Most of the Bruce Arians playbook was carried over from well back into Cowher's era. I remember some of Ben's complaints from back when Tomlin first took over-- the playbook had mushroomed up to around 1000 pages, because over the years, our different O coordinators kept adding to it, but never subtracting any obsolete plays. And out of those, we only used some 20% in any given season, supposedly.

I don't know if I agree that the whole playbook needs a revamping. We just need somebody that can pick and choose the right plays during a game so we don't end up coming out 5-wide on 3rd and 1.

It will be very interesting to see how Brucies does in Indy with Andrew Luck. What if they end up with one of the leading offenses in the NFL?
Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddle_Of_Steel View Post
Most of the Bruce Arians playbook was carried over from well back into Cowher's era.
I disagree over this completely. In the Cowher era, I remember a lot of RB screen passes, FB leads, 3rd down sprint draws and definately more trapping and pulling of the linemen.

In the Arians 5 years we saw no FB, the elimination of RB screens, the advent of bubble screens, single back sets, more empty backfield and the desire to throw the ball to Carey davis on 3rd and short instead of trying to run it.

The harbingers of doom will be out with the 90% change in playbook.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Riddle_Of_Steel
Head Coach

Member Number: 13727

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
I disagree over this completely. In the Cowher era, I remember a lot of RB screen passes, FB leads, 3rd down sprint draws and definately more trapping and pulling of the linemen.

In the Arians 5 years we saw no FB, the elimination of RB screens, the advent of bubble screens, single back sets, more empty backfield and the desire to throw the ball to Carey davis on 3rd and short instead of trying to run it.

The harbingers of doom will be out with the 90% change in playbook.
Those plays were still in the playbook, Numb-nuts just never called them during games, or he called those ugly bubble-screens to his slowest receiver. We sort of abandoned RB screens years ago under Cowher, because Willie Parker SUCKED as a screen back.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

How about that big play card BA would read from? I was convinced it was an infinite script of plays that he would go down the line and read game after game, year after year in total disregard to game situation or down and distance.

But for me his lack of developing better red zone plays to score and demanding more perfection in the execution of plays (hot reads, screen passes, etc) is why I wanted him gone. He being a stubborn mule that he was refused to change or keep an open mind.

And least he will have his handy reference book to help Andrew Luck out.

Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Dam fine article. My only question is how did the Airhead keep his job so long?
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,672 Posts

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote