Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-11-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 13,859 Times in 5,699 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default 6 Scheme Adjustments Steelers Should Consider in 2012

Pittsburgh Steelers: 6 Scheme Adjustments to Consider in 2012

By Nick DeWitt (Featured Columnist) on May 10, 2012

The Pittsburgh Steelers may have finished 12-4 in 2011, but there were a lot of holes schematically that the team should consider changing up to ensure a more successful 2012. The Steelers will feature a new offense, but how different remains to be seen.

Defensively, Dick LeBeau has a tried-and-true system, but there is still plenty of room for adjustment to accommodate new personnel and to disguise some of the issues that hurt the team previously.

Here's a look at six things that Mike Tomlin and company should take under advisement:

No Huddle

Ben Roethlisberger had a great relationship with former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, but one thing Arians didn't condone was an unrestricted use of the no-huddle offense, something that his quarterback proved time and time again capable of running successfully.

Roethlisberger will likely get a chance to run a more wide-open system under Todd Haley, who had prolific passing offenses with Kurt Warner and the Arizona Cardinals.

What does the no-huddle do for the Steelers? The answer is a lot. This type of system will tire out defenses, keep them off balance and put them in a poor position with their personnel adjustments. You can run or pass out of the no-huddle; the key is that you move quickly from play to play.

Mix the Run

One of the many criticisms of the Steelers offense in recent seasons is that the team completely abandoned their previous identity as a smashmouth rushing team. Pittsburgh has a chance to change all of that now that they've gotten reinforcements along the line.

Isaac Redman also gives them a player who will be able to regularly bulldoze the defenses of the league and make his own holes. The Steelers might actually be in better shape with him on the prowl.

While I wouldn't expect the offense to skew too far toward the run, I do think that the Steelers will run a little more often than they've done in the past.

Abandon the Bubble Screen

Bruce Arians was a big fan of a play that is beyond dangerous for an offense to run as regularly as Pittsburgh was running it. It's called the bubble screen. If you aren't familiar, it's a pass that is basically lateral straight down the line of scrimmage right at the snap. The receiver must take the ball and run with it.

The problem is that a smart, athletic corner can jump the receiver's route, pick the pass off and take it to the end zone almost unchallenged. One mistake and the play ends in disaster.

While the Steelers do have the personnel to run this play, they've been running it too often. I don't envision this being as big a part of Todd Haley's system. That's probably for the best.

Sean Spence, Blitz Monster

When the Steelers drafted Sean Spence, they got a guy who's an expert at ruining running plays for an offense. He's got the athletic skill set if not the same level of talent as Troy Polamalu. Spence can really bring a different element to the inside linebackers.

I'm not by any means making him a starter or putting him in James Farrior's old spot. I am saying that he should be playing regularly, perhaps on most third downs. It doesn't hurt to have a guy who can get into the backfield when necessary.

Dick LeBeau designed a defense around what Troy Polamalu does well. He can do that with Spence too. If you team the two of them up, you have quite the mess for an offensive coordinator.

Bring the Corners

This isn't so much a major change as a return to something that Dick LeBeau used to emphasize more. The Steelers need to blitz their corners more. All of the candidates to replace William Gay have the athleticism to be part of this plan.

Bringing a corner does expose a receiver, but it also gives the offensive line and any other pass blockers someone faster and more agile to worry about, in addition to linebackers and defensive linemen.

I think this was missing a lot of times last year, particularly against quarterbacks who like to leave the pocket to make throws or scramble away. The Steelers can contain some of that with more blitzes from the corners.

Throws in the Red Zone

Where's Heath Miller been lately? It seems he was forgotten in the red zone. That's not a good sign for a team that was 21st in scoring in 2011. The Steelers can do better than that with all of that talent.

The problem that they seem to be having is a poor selection of plays near the goal line. Too much running directly into the line completely ruins the offense and makes it impotent. I'm hopeful that Todd Haley will have a little more imagination.

There's no reason to run the same play three times trying to bulldoze into the end zone when the team has a tight end in Miller and a wide receiver in Jerricho Cotchery that can do quite well in traffic. That needs to change.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...nsider-in-2012
Old 05-12-2012, 01:03 AM   #2
Dalarin
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 23936
Default Re: 6 Scheme Adjustments Steelers Should Consider in 2012

I forgot it was still legal to blitz corners. Lol
Dalarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 AM   #3
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

We've already nailed the biggest scheme adjustment - we now have an Offensive Coordinator, which presumably means we might actually have an offensive scheme - including actual designed plays.
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #4
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVet View Post
We've already nailed the biggest scheme adjustment - we now have an Offensive Coordinator, which presumably means we might actually have an offensive scheme - including actual designed plays.
That's the problem with bleacher, they don't think before they write. I believe it's actually a giddy group of hs freshman doing the whole thing.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483

Other than the fact that Im not familiar with Spence, I couldn't have written a better article myself.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,974 Times in 2,869 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
Other than the fact that Im not familiar with Spence, I couldn't have written a better article myself.
Class of '15?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:56 PM   #7
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I think this is more of a "stating the obvius" article than an informative one. Just my oinion.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
TheVet
Assistant Coach

Space Invaders Champion! Snake Champion! Simon Champion! Speartoss 5 Shots Champion!
Member Number: 24040

Rather than "stating the obvious", I'll go with "statement from the oblivious."

HS freshmen - good call!
TheVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Hungover

I was glad it wasn't a plea to go to the 4-3...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote