Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default 2 Fullbacks on the Roster already?

Jonathan Dwyer was interviewed recently on the Terrible Podcast and when pressed about Fullbacks he stated we have two guys working with the Running Backs right now who are strong and capable fullbacks who can block and catch. When asked to identify them he stated David Johnson and Will Johnson.

Now I don't believe they are traditional FBs and are really still H-backs but this gives us a little jump on knowing that 7th round pick David Paulson is being considered more of a TE and the battle for H-back (fullback) is between the two Johnsons.

Paulson at almost 6'4" seems a more modern day TE and would lack the ideal strength at least early to be an effective H-back and is more a pass catching TE at this point. (a very good one) So looks like camp depth will be:

H-back
David Johnson
Will Johnson (my personal choice)

TE
Heath Miller
Leonard Pope
Weslye Saunders
David Paulson
Wes Lyons
Jamie McCoy (6'3" size could have him competing as a TE only)

This could be the year the Steelers have 3 TEs and 1 HB/FB on the roster. Saunders size and skill set I believe will have the Steelers adding him to the roster when his suspension is over, leaving someone to be cut. Will it be a TE? And who? Pope would have a guaranteed salary if he makes opening day and Paulson could be signed by someone else if released. This situation is sure to get a little hairy before it's all over.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Whodis
Team Captain

Member Number: 6483
Default Re: 2 Fullbacks on the Roster already?

David Johnson is as good at FB as Hampton could be at corner! He's lazy and isn't to eager for contact (see San Fran game).
Old 05-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #3
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post
David Johnson is as good at FB as Hampton could be at corner! He's lazy and isn't to eager for contact (see San Fran game).
That's why I believe it will be Will Johnson who makes this team as the H-back/fullback. But there is no doubt from Dwyer's statement both are working in the running back meetings.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,178 Times in 1,076 Posts

I thought that Leonard Pope might fit in at H back at some point, but maybe not.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,671 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodis View Post

Mention this piece of sh**t (David "Biggest Waste of a Roster Space" Johnson) and I'm a hungry shark in the water. It's time for him to go......finally. There has to be someone (or two, or three) better than him. Mention his name and "dropped passes in big spots" and "whiffing completely on blocks" quickly comes to mind. That's the sum of his living and breathing game tape resume.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
tburhans
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 18473

David Johnson may have cost us the Super Bowl against Green Bay. He completely missed his block on Clay Matthews who then ended up making Rashard fumble costing us atleast a field goal. A complete game changing play. That along with the other thousand of blocks he missed and catches he didnt make. So yeah he should of been gone before he got started. As for the tight ends I think the opening day tight ends will be Heath,Pope and Paulson. Once Saunders suspension is over he'll be brought back to the active roster and Paulson to the practice squad unless he tears it up but i doubt he sees the field much if at all
tburhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

I wouldn't put too much stock on what a 3rd string running back says in a podcast in May about a new offensive scheme.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
wyn50
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8941

If Johnson is that bad, how come steelers keep him on the roster? Must have better players out there for that position.
wyn50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,746 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyn50 View Post
If Johnson is that bad, how come steelers keep him on the roster? Must have better players out there for that position.
cause right now we don't have anyone better. with that said I'm all for keeping the single back formation i it means DJ isn't on the field. with our o-line upgraded we might not even need the fullback to punch holes for the running game, unless it's legursky on the goal line
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #10
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyn50 View Post
For the Steelers it's not he's that bad, it was he's that cheap. Until this year that is, when they had to tender him 1.2 million as a restricted free agent. Now he's in the same boat as many who have lost their jobs to a guy their equal and cheaper. But still all hope lies in Will Johnson or maybe Jamie McCoy who I don't even think is being considered an H-back this year. So Will Johnson don't get hurt!