Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Top 5 Questions and your Opinions

1. Can the Steelers recapture the "edge" that helped them win Super Bowl XL?

The New England Patriots were unable to do this after winning the first of their three Super Bowls, partially because they eased up and could not handle all the offseason hype, according to former strength coach Tom Shaw. The Patriots missed the playoffs after that first Super Bowl victory. Coach Bill Cowher must find a way to get his team to re-focus.

2. With Jerome Bettis gone, do the Steelers have an emotional leader?

Nobody in the locker room will match Bettis' impact, but the Steelers are full of veteran leaders, such as Alan Faneca, Joey Porter, Hines Ward and, most important, Ben Roethlisberger, who has more than gained the respect of his teammates after last season's postseason run.

3. Did the Steelers adequately replace their free agency/retirement losses?

The free-agent departures of free safety Chris Hope, defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen and wideout Antwaan Randle El, along with the retirement of Bettis, left voids. Whether guys such as free-agent signee Ryan Clark at free safety, first-round wide receiver Santonio Holmes and former reserve defensive end Brett Keisel can fill these voids is an unknown -- and that can be scary.

4. What if anything can the Steelers expect from No. 1 pick Santonio Holmes in the wake of his arrest-plagued offseason?

Holmes is facing a court date on Aug. 15 in Columbus, Ohio after being arrested on charges of assault and domestic violence by assault. He may also be subject to discipline from the NFL for potentially violating the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

5. Can Ben Roethlisberger pick up where he left off, or will there be physical and emotional carry-over from the motorcycle accident that nearly cost Roethlisberger his life on June 12?

Big Ben says his goal is to be "better than I've ever been," but he hasn't taken a hit yet. Stay tuned.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:37 AM   #2
BlackNGold203
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1217
Default Re: Top 5 Questions and your Opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43

The New England Patriots were unable to do this after winning the first of their three Super Bowls, partially because they eased up and could not handle all the offseason hype, according to former strength coach Tom Shaw. The Patriots missed the playoffs after that first Super Bowl victory. Coach Bill Cowher must find a way to get his team to re-focus.

Nobody in the locker room will match Bettis' impact, but the Steelers are full of veteran leaders, such as Alan Faneca, Joey Porter, Hines Ward and, most important, Ben Roethlisberger, who has more than gained the respect of his teammates after last season's postseason run.

The free-agent departures of free safety Chris Hope, defensive end Kimo von Oelhoffen and wideout Antwaan Randle El, along with the retirement of Bettis, left voids. Whether guys such as free-agent signee Ryan Clark at free safety, first-round wide receiver Santonio Holmes and former reserve defensive end Brett Keisel can fill these voids is an unknown -- and that can be scary.

4. What if anything can the Steelers expect from No. 1 pick Santonio Holmes in the wake of his arrest-plagued offseason?

Holmes is facing a court date on Aug. 15 in Columbus, Ohio after being arrested on charges of assault and domestic violence by assault. He may also be subject to discipline from the NFL for potentially violating the league's Personal Conduct Policy.

5. Can Ben Roethlisberger pick up where he left off, or will there be physical and emotional carry-over from the motorcycle accident that nearly cost Roethlisberger his life on June 12?

Big Ben says his goal is to be "better than I've ever been," but he hasn't taken a hit yet. Stay tuned.

1. This wont be answered for quite some time...I tend to believe they will...but only time will tell....

2. YES...there are alot of strong ...steady...and yes...emotional...personalities in that locker room....its still a great mix...I do not see this being an issue...

3. YES...Keisel is an upgrade....Clark is a wash with Hope...Holmes/Reid can replace El's output...Staley is durable enough to fill Bettis' short yardage/goal line role...

4. Here is the X-factor....step one...get him signed...step 2...well..step 2 is up to the kid....I think he'll be OK...because of my answer to #2 above...

5. Another time related answer...but I truly believe he will be BETTER..its only his 3rd year..and potentially a break out year...(LOL...not sure how you "break out" after a 27-4 start with a Super Bowl ring)
Old 07-23-2006, 09:50 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,885 Times in 3,482 Posts

[QUOTE=83-Steelers-43]

QUOTE]

1. Yes - with regard to recapturing the edge, I think after all the playoff disappointments this team now knows it can win it all. Cowher & team leaders (Ward/Porter/Farrior/Faneca) will find a way to maintain the edge.

2. Yes - see answer to #1. Bettis was a legend, but it also gave the media a hook to claim he was the main man on the team. Jerome will be missed, but what he brought can be replaced by other vets on the field and in the locker room.

3. Maybe - potential problems for the FA losses: Hope's physical skills can be replaced by Clark, but the questions include how quickly Clark picks up the defense and Troy gets comfortable with a new partner at safety; Keisel is an upgrade for the pass rush but Kimo was a beast against the run; Randle-El can be easily replaced at WR, but his punt returns and ability on gadget plays may be more difficult. to replace

4. Not much - maybe Holmes is ready to put all this behind him, but he will not be a starter. Hopefully he will contribute by mid-season.

5. This is the key to the season. Before the accident I looked for Ben to make the leap this year that Bradshaw did not make until the late 1970s and become one of the top 3 or 4QBs in the game. Anyone who claims they know how this will turn out, physically or emotionally, is guessing. Ben's game has been based on playing with no fear, and after nearly being killed it is an open question what impact a glimpse of his own mortality, together with getting beat up every week after your face was broken, will have on his season.

At least the time has come for the questions to start being answered.
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 10:32 AM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,738 Times in 3,669 Posts

1. this question is asked every year after the steelers do good, especially after they became the 1st team in the afc to have a record of 15-1. not a problem last year. wont be a problem this year.

2. he answered his own question

3. through the f.a. and draft all losses have been adressed. the steelers f.o. colbert and cowher know what is at stake. theyre not gonna just plug random people in

4. even if holmes has a pristine off season it would be foolish to expect much of any rookie wr not named randy moss. history says as much. non issue

5. ben will be fine. human anatomy and physiology says bones heal back stronger than they were. ben is a rock emotionally. although im worried how shy and reclusive he has been lately smell the sarcasm? golfing, videos, interviews, working out and conditionning. he will bring a stronger focus to his game. this may speed up his on field maturation process and study habits. has anyone seen some of the hits ben has taken? i can count about 4-5 where i thought he was done for the season. im not worried about him taking a hit, although maybe this makes him stand in there less, taking some of the unneccesary ones.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #5
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Yes to the first four. Not necessarily shouting Yes's but yes. It's time to test some of the youth on the bench.

The Holmes Experiment is anyone's guess. Can a father-like figure knock him straight and forward?

If we can get one solid year from him now then it won't be a total disaster.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2006, 06:32 PM   #6
Ambridge
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 604

I hate to say it but my gut tells me the Steelers will not repeat this season, but like the Patriots I see them going back after two years. I think the Steelers will be better suited for the '07 season.

I think is the biggest loss of all.
I think emotional leaders can and will pick up the slack Ben, Hines, Joey...etc, but I think it's the physical toughness that Jerome brought that will be missed the most.

Losing Randle El was big and will take an adjustment period but hopeing that Duce Staley will contribute is a big mistake........Willie Parker isn't an every down back and Verron Haynes needs to show he can stay healthy on a regular basis.

Nothing is to be expected. Holmes is a loser IMO and I didn't like the pick from day one.

Ben might be a little "iffy" physically for the first few games but will be all right afterwards. I think Ben grows tremendously this year and should have a solid season.
Ambridge is offline   Reply With Quote