Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,755 Times in 6,051 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Report: Willie Colon Moving To Left Guard

Report: Willie Colon Moving To Left Guard

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

If you have followed this site religiously for a while you know that I have been a strong proponent of tackle Willie Colon kicking inside to guard for some time now. Several naysayers over the years have stated that it would never happen and they included Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, who stated just last May, "The move is not going to happen. Cheerleaders on the sideline at Heinz Field will occur before Colon is moved to guard in this offense."

Well it seems that Colon will now indeed kick inside and play left guard according to Mike Prisuta of DVE radio on Twitter. Prisuta reported today that Colon made it official today as he was quoted as saying, "I've made the transition to left guard. I like it. It's just a matter of learning the verbiage." Prisuta reports that Colon said the Steelers called him right after draft to tell him about a possible switch to left guard. Colon reportedly told the Steelers at that time, "My only issue would have been 'don't move me midway through camp."

With first round draft pick David DeCastro slated to start at right guard now, Colon told Prisuta that both he and DeCastro will be pulling quite a bit as he said, "You should expect both of us pulling. I think we're going to be a lot more balanced."

Glory, glory, halleluiah!

Colon has struggled to stay healthy the last two seasons after tearing his Achilles prior to training camp in 2010 and tearing his triceps in the week one game against the Baltimore Ravens just last year. He has played a total of just one game the last two seasons after being a picture of health the years prior. His move now inside means that there is a vacancy at right tackle. Marcus Gilbert started there last season after Colon went down, but was told heading into the offseason he should be prepared to move to left tackle in 2012. This of course was way before the Steelers drafted Mike Adams in the second round of the draft last month. Adams looks to be the long term solution at left tackle for the Steelers, but the big questions is whether or not he can be NFL ready by week 1 to protect the blindside of one Ben Roethlisberger.

The Steelers could very well still have plans to bring back veteran Max Starks prior to training camp to start the year at left tackle. This assumes that Starks will be 100% recovered from his ACL injury that he suffered in the AFC Wild Card against the Denver Broncos by then. Starks says he is ahead of schedule in his recovery, but time will tell. The Steelers also still have Jonathan Scott and his $2 million plus salary on the roster in addition. While Scott surely should not be considered at left tackle again like last year, he might be able to keep the right tackle spot warm until Adams is ready to start at either spot.

Gilbert is best suited for the right tackle spot, but he just might have to hold the left side down if Starks is not brought back. We will surely get a better idea of how the first team might stack up next week when the Steelers report for their first OTA session.

I guess the new Steelers cheerleaders will be on the sidelines at the OTA session as well. Right Gerry?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...to-left-guard/
Old 05-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Report: Willie Colon Moving To Left Guard

AWESOME and it opens the door for Mike Adams to take advantage.

Real good chance Starks is back as well.

Gerry Dulac is more wrong then right.

Bad news that Mike Adams can't take part in any OTAs due to that college rule where certain colleges don't let guys join teams until after graduation. I know if I'm some 5th round pick that has a chance to play in the NFL I'm not waiting around to join my team in OTAs. Stupid rule. Decastro is in the same boat.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,453 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i gotta say i'm really surprised. the position battles on the OL will be interesting this year
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Willie Colon's move to left guard most likely ends Ramon Foster's tenure as a starting guard...

Don’t Overlook The Value Of Ramon Foster In Steelers Line Revamp

Wednesday, May 16th, 2012 by Cian Fahey

Entering last season, the Pittsburgh Steelers coaching staff was reluctant to let Ramon Foster remain in the lineup from the previous season. After a training camp battle that began with Chris Scott and Tony Hills, backup center Doug Legursky started the season in Foster's right guard position.

Much like the previous occasions Foster got on the field, another injury gave him the opportunity to play when he took over for Chris Kemoeatu at left guard in Week 2 against the Seattle Seahawks. Foster still found his way back to the bench until Legursky got injured the next week against the Indianapolis Colts.

This gave Foster another opportunity to start at right guard. An opportunity he seized for the remainder of the season.

Passed the team's two tackles, Max Starks and Marcus Gilbert, Foster was the best of the team's offensive linemen last year. There was a revolving door at the other left guard position with a combination of Trai Essex, Kemoeatu and Legurksy all featuring while Maurkice Pouncey failed to repeat his performances of his rookie year at center.

Foster isn't really an impact guard. For that reason you won't see analysts from outside of Pittsburgh overly praise him the way they did Kemoeatu for highlight trap plays, however you also won't see him make as many mistakes as other players.

Foster is one of the more consistent offensive linemen the Steelers have had in recent years. Entering his fourth season, he has started 26 games and featured in 41 since breaking into the team as a rookie. After going undrafted in 2009 he never received the hype that other rookies who do as much as he did during his rookie season.

In fact, throughout Foster's career, because he doesn't appear to have superstar potential, nobody has ever really given him the credit he deserves.

Championship teams are not built with 53 superstars. Generally a team is lucky to have five superstars and another 10 players with all-pro potential. The rest of the roster needs to be filled out with reliable role players who can consistently complement the stars.

Entering this year, Foster won't get much attention because Steelers fans will be desperate to see David DeCastro and Mike Adams in camp. While DeCastro is set to start as a rookie, Adams will likely be a backup tackle. Right now, Foster is set to be one of the two starting guards. With Willie Colon returning, Gilbert moving to left tackle, Pouncey being fully healthy and DeCastro at right guard, Foster will be the most underwhelming aspect of the Steelers' offensive line.

While he is underwhelming, he is still very valuable.

An offensive line is only as strong as its weakest link. Just ask the New York Jets about Wayne Hunter playing right tackle last year as he handicapped their offensive line. From a talent perspective, Foster likely is the weakest link on the line if he starts this year but you can be certain that he will be one of the most, if not the most, consistent player upfront.

Foster is versatile also. With him on the roster, the Steelers will be allowed to not only put DeCastro at whichever guard spot best suits him, but they also have a former college tackle on their hands. If the team decides to bring back someone like Starks and move Foster out of the starting lineup—the knock on effect of Starks puts Colon at guard—then he would be able to replace Essex as the sixth lineman covering both guard positions and possibly right tackle.

Excitement may be brewing because of the Steelers' heavy investment in new offensive line talent over the past few years. Foster may not be a former first or second round pick, in fact he went undrafted, but that shouldn't prevent him from being an important piece for the line moving forward.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...s-line-revamp/
Old 05-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

So Willie Colon is going to be the Steelers’ LG?

May 16, 2012
The Sports Jags

We always thought that once the DVE Morning Show ended, Mike Prisuta just went back to bed. Apparently, he keeps working after the show because he dropped a Twitter Bomb on the Burgh today: Willie Colon is moving from right tackle to left guard for the Steelers.

Willie Colon made it official today: “I’ve made the transition to left guard. I like it. It’s just a matter of learning the verbiage.”

— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) May 16, 2012

Guess that means we can stop demanding that David DeCastro make the switch from right guard to left. Not a single media guy in the Burgh was talking about this move before today; some guys said Colon would only move inside if there was another string of injuries and some said it’d only happen when the Steelers decided to hire cheerleaders. Well, apparently the Steelers have been planning it from the minute they made their first two draft picks.

Colon said Steelers called him right after draft about switch to LG. “My only issue would have been ‘don’t move me midway through camp.’”

— Mike Prisuta (@DVEMike) May 16, 2012

This move pretty much means that Ramon Foster just lost his starting job without doing anything and Mike Adams just won a starting job without doing anything. But Adams has work to do now because he not only has to transition from left tackle to right, he also has to be ready to start by Week 1.

Colon is built more like a guard but before he got hurt the last two years he was considered a top right guard in the NFL. Now, he has to learn a new position while trying to stay healthy. It’s kind of weird that one of the Steelers’ top priorities this offseason was to find a way to cut down on Ben Roethlisberger’s sack numbers, and the way they think to accomplish that is to put two rookies on Ben’s right side with two right-side linemen on his left.

We don’t really see how that works. This whole offseason is just bizarre…and that’s saying something considering we didn’t even have an offseason last year.

Here’s what the Steelers’ offensive line looks like now:

Gilbert – Colon – Pouncey - DeCastro – Adams

Original Story: http://thesportsjags.com/so-willie-co...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
STEELAMANIA
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8791

I think my favorite lineman, JONATHAN "ROLLERSKATES" SCOTT deserves to start at left tackle.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA just kidding. I hope he gets cut before training camp....not to wish nothing bad on anyone, but SOMEBODY please step up as a valueable backup just in case of injury?
Old 05-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #7
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
Thanked 1,135 Times in 541 Posts
My Mood: Drunk

Awesome. I honestly didn't think the coaching staff would have the guts to do it. We don't upset the status quo too much, so I expected them to keep him at tackle since he's been good there, but I think this will pay huge dividends.

I'm pretty sure now that Mike Adams will be our starting left tackle by the end of camp. I don't think they'd make this move if they didn't have a lot of faith in him. Starks could be back but I really don't see it.

I don't think it makes sense for Gilbert to start at left tackle and Adams at right if the plan is for them to be swapped down the road. It's not like Gilbert has THAT much more experience that it will make much difference, especially since he never even played at left last year.
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 8,453 Times in 3,544 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post
I think my favorite lineman, JONATHAN "ROLLERSKATES" SCOTT deserves to start at left tackle.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA just kidding. I hope he gets cut before training camp....not to wish nothing bad on anyone, but SOMEBODY please step up as a valueable backup just in case of injury?
your favorite lineman? must be a ravens fan in disguise!

ditto on hoping he gets cut before camp. he likely will, with him in the game it's basically just like lining up with 10 men on the field

I wonder though, are they planning to keep gilbert at RT since he's proven he can play there, and put Adams at LT where his natural position is? perhaps they are moving colon to LG to pair the rookie with a veteran so the left side won't be a liability. just maybe.

and i hope we can keep foster and legursky. with colon's injury history I think it's a must we have some capable LG backups.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELAMANIA View Post

you must be Terrell Suggs secretly posting on this board...
Old 05-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
pancake
Head Coach

Member Number: 13552
My Mood: Sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
you must be Terrell Suggs secretly posting on this board...
Suggs does have more free time on his hands now...
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote