Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Ensemble offense may lead to Mike Walace's departure

With Todd Haily's offense seeming to emphasize balance by more short passing to backs and running the football I think you will see a very mediocre season by Mike Wallace this year.

There is only one football and with a more concerted effort of running the football and a shorter passing game Ben should have play making options galore. The addition of Rainey and even a retooled offensive line points to a certain direction this team is striving to go.

Throw in the fact Mike Wallace will be behind in grasping the offense as he's not even going to get a look at the playbook until training camp and that is assuming he shows on time for that.

Also if we see the trend continue of defenses having the formula to shut him down and contain him, he very well could continue to be frustrated by double teams as Antonio Brown's numbers continue to rise. I see this scenario happening and why I feel Brown is the important signing this summer regardless of his contract status next year.

Will Mike Wallace stand that much ahead of the crowd of talent with him to be a 10 million dollar man? He hasn't so far and that is before the new attitude on offense.

Mike Wallace will be an important part of a machine but not the only part. An ensemble offense dictates an ensemble pay scale.

And Mike Wallace may find himself where he started, a one trick pony used to surprise a defense that is being battered by a run game or frustrated by dump off passes to backs and tight ends.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Curtain_of_Steel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 11678
Default Re: Ensemble offense may lead to Mike Walace's departure

It so continues....

Wallace will be fine, and he isnt going any wheres.
Curtain_of_Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #3
WokeUpWithaWoodley
Team Captain

Member Number: 24000

If anything...with the emphasize of a more balance offense by running more short passing routes and more passes to the backs, I believe that would even open the threat of Wallace more going deep.

Also this year against the pats we ran a style of that offense and Wallace had 7 targets for 7 catches for 70 yds.

Everyone hails AB, yes he is a great player but why do you think he had a breakout year last year, once wallace had that amazing start...all the coverage got rolled over to mikes side. Which opened it up for AB to do his thing.

By the way how many TDs did he have last year...2....wallace had 8.

Also look for sanders to have a breakout year.
WokeUpWithaWoodley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
madtowndrunkard
Team Captain

Member Number: 11280

I understand the logic you are trying to use, but I think the results are going to be very different then you think.

Wallace fell off the face of the earth in the 2nd half last year. His numbers declined dramatically later in 2011. Because defenses learned if they took Wallace out, we struggled to score. With out the big play our offense was flat out BAD. If we stuck with the same strategy as last year.... Wallace would have his worst year by far.

Now we have Haley. Haley is going to bring balance. What is balance really mean? To you it is less passing. To me it is more efficient. To me balance makes the defense guess more. To me balance will open up more big plays. Balance will produce more TD's.

With the talent we have, there is NO reason why we are not a top 5 offense in the NFL. With the drop off I expect to see with our defense, we better start scoring more. Now defenses can't just take away the deep ball and shut us down. With the new changes we should be able to pound the ball down their throat if needed. We still have deep threats...so if defenses try to play up to the LOS we can burn them deep. No one respected our running game last year. In the redzone we couldn't score. I expect a huge year from Wallace.
madtowndrunkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,622 Times in 812 Posts

Haley isnt going to run off one of the best deep threats in the game. Only way Wallace leaves is if its all about the $$, but I think the Steelers will make him a very fair offer and try to keep him.

If he wants top 5 WR $$$, then I think he will be gone after this season.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Steel Peon
Starter

Member Number: 17520
My Mood: Drunk

Somehow I just can't get enough of taking Wallace down a few notches, but now I actually think people have come to terms with his actual value versus the theoretical, and I'll refrain from joining in this round.

What I did want to say on the subject is about the new offensive mentality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
with a more concerted effort of running the football and a shorter passing game Ben should have play making options galore. The addition of Rainey and even a retooled offensive line points to a certain direction this team is striving to go.
To which I have to say, I really agree with this sentiment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WokeUpWithaWoodley View Post
If anything...with the emphasize of a more balance offense by running more short passing routes and more passes to the backs, I believe that would even open the threat of Wallace more going deep.
When you're constantly going for the home run with a guy like Wallace, and you run a simple-as-pie-vanilla offense, your predictability starts to hit a critical point where your most dangerous weapons become your biggest liabilities, with an increasingly lower probability of success. It also doesn't help when this mentality seems to have made you completely forget about your world champion tight end for an entire season, but I digress.

The new offensive formula looks to create multiple threats from many angles, which makes me also think that this will spring Wallace more often than it did before. In fact, the possibility of Wallace having a record year seems to become more likely than a drop-off.......if he learns the play book in time. All this being said, it's very possible the Steelers offense will morph into something that takes advantage of his skills more than any offense in the league could, which would end up being a very strong reason for him to forgo the Fitzgerald sized contract, settle for a very good one with the Steelers, and maybe end up having a career for the ages.
Steel Peon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,110 Times in 2,118 Posts
My Mood: Innocent

My take is that none of us has the slightest clue what form the offense will take this year. TH's offense has been both pass happy and run happy depending on which former team you look at. I believe his statement that he will do what works.

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
PhantomJB93
Head Coach

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Yeehaw

If Wallace has a mediocre season, doesn't that just make it easier to sign him?
PhantomJB93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #9
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,524 Times in 2,345 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomJB93 View Post
If Wallace has a mediocre season, doesn't that just make it easier to sign him?
someone will pony up and make an offer we can't match. unless he's injured i don't see how even a down season will make him an unattractive free agent in the market
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
ebsteelers
Living Legend

SpeedPong Champion! X-Training Champion!
Member Number: 18215
Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
My take is that none of us has the slightest clue what form the offense will take this year. TH's offense has been both pass happy and run happy depending on which former team you look at. I believe his statement that he will do what works.
exactly, todd will do what is working and not force the issue of passing or what not
ebsteelers is offline   Reply With Quote