Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,755 Times in 2,929 Posts
Default Tomlin 8th highest paid professional coach

kinda suprising. i never really thought about it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...pro-coach-list

The Steelers' Mike Tomlin has proved to be one of the top coaches in the NFL, and he's getting paid like one.

With an annual salary of $5.8 million, he ranks tied for eighth on the list of highest-paid coaches in sports and tied for sixth among NFL coaches, according to Forbes. In terms of football, Tomlin is only behind the Patriots' Bill Belichick ($7.5 million), the Redskins' Mike Shanahan ($7 million), the Rams' Jeff Fisher ($7 million), the Seahawks' Pete Carroll ($7 million) and the Bears' Lovie Smith ($6 million). The Cardinals' Ken Whisenhunt also makes $5.8 million.

Tomlin certainly deserves to be in this pay grade. He is only one of seven coaches in league history to win a Super Bowl in his first two seasons as an NFL head coach and became only the sixth to win at least nine games in each of his first five seasons since the 1970 merger (George Seifert, Mike Holmgren, Bill Cowher, Chuck Knoll and Mike Sherman were the others).

There's a good chance that Tomlin will move up on this list. His contract runs out after the 2012 season with an option for 2013.
None of the other AFC North coaches -- John Harbaugh, Marvin Lewis and Pat Shurmur -- made the top 10 list.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,697 Times in 1,767 Posts
Default Re: Tomlin 8th highest paid professional coach

Those cheap ass Rooneys.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,162 Times in 1,343 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I think he deserves it and I have questioned some of his calls but I guess all of them make bad calls in there career.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,073 Times in 4,310 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Mike Shanahan, Pete Carroll and Ken Whisenhunt do not deserve to be on that list.

The LeDoobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,755 Times in 2,929 Posts

ken wisenhunt did the impossible. take the cardinals to the superbowl and almost win. he probably deserves to be the highest!

if a browns or lions coach can do the same, they will probably win the nobel prize AND become the highest paid.

im thinking lakers phil jackson was pretty high up on the list last year. kinda suprised coach popovich of the spurs wasnt on there.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218

I'm good with where he ranks - yes, will probably go up with new contract, but he's a solid leader for us - rather pay him than start over with someone new - hope he is willing to accept a fair offer and not want to break the bank to stay
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,073 Times in 4,310 Posts
My Mood: Happy

Mike Tomlin Is The 7th Highest Paid NFL Coach According To Forbes Magazine

Thursday, May 17th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Forbes Magazine has released its top 10 list of highest-paid coaches in sports and Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin makes the list at 9th overall with an annual salary of $5.75 million. Tomlin is the 7th highest paid NFL coach on the list behind Bill Belichick, Mike Shanahan, Jeff Fisher, Pete Carroll, Lovie Smith and Ken Whisenhunt.

Tomlin was originally hired to replace the retired Bill Cowher in 2007 and was given a four year contract with a fifth year option at that time. That deal was reportedly worth an average of $2.5 million annually. Tomlin signed an extension in July of 2010 and that current deal is guaranteed through 2012 with an option for 2013 according to reports at that time. At the time the extension was given, Art Rooney II said in a statement, "Mike Tomlin has proven to be one of the top head coaches in the National Football League in a relatively short time. His unique ability to lead the team and motivate individuals have been key factors in our success."

In late March of this year Scott Brown from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review wrote that the Steelers could approach Tomlin about a new deal before the start of the 2012 season. Rooney II told the paper at that time, "We're obviously very happy with Mike and the job he's doing and we hope he's going to be here for the long term and I think I'm comfortable in saying that will be the case."

Tomlin currently has .688 winning percentage (55-25) through his first five seasons as head coach and that is the best in franchise history. He has guided the Steelers to one Super Bowl championship, three AFC North titles and four playoff appearances since taking over.

Of the NFL coaches above him on the Forbes list, only two have won championships and those two are of course Belichick and Shanahan. You can expect that a new extension will likely be on its way soon for Tomlin and likely will be in place by the time training camp rolls around.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...rbes-magazine/

The LeDoobie Brothers
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #8
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

Surprised that he is being paid that well by the Rooneys. I think most cowher ever made was $4m. Right?
And in my mind, I think Cowher was a better coach than what Tomlin is. My how time has change.
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
StainlessStill
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 12999
Thanked 1,199 Times in 504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
Surprised that he is being paid that well by the Rooneys. I think most cowher ever made was $4m. Right?
And in my mind, I think Cowher was a better coach than what Tomlin is. My how time has change.
Cowher was more of an emotional leader in a style of a smash-mouth era in the NFL. Other than Roethlisberger (who Dan Rooney didn't want to pass up in 2004, Cowher wanted an O-lineman) Cowher really didn't have a knack for picking QB's or even developing them.

Could he have evolved with the league's passing frenzy in the later half of the decade and take his team to 2 Super Bowl's? Not sure because 2003 was a total failure concering the Tommy Maddox experience with the run and shoot offense.

Tomlin has "IT." Not only is he a GREAT speaker, but he is NOT afraid to play the hot hand or decide to bench a certain player in favor of somebody who is more than likely ready (it took Cowher absolutley FOREVER to finally bench Kordell and don't get me started on guys like Chad Scott, Dewayne Washington & Brent Alexander. Cowher was very stubborn as a head coach and liked his vets, refusing to play guys like Townsend and Taylor early in their careers. Very frustrating. Hell, if Maddox doesn't go down in Baltimore week 2 in 2004, wonder how long Ben would of had to wait?)

Besides, Tomlin has faced TON of adversity since his FIRST DAY in office in 2007 with all that Faneca and Porter hoopla surrounding the Steelers veterans, let alone injury after injury throughout his short coaching career thus far. He also had to deal with being picked over incumbent guys like Whiz and Grimm as well as Pittsburgh's first black head coach, which was still a minority in 2007.

Tomlin deserves it. One of the best in the NFL. He's also 2-0 in AFC Title games AT HOME. Something to think about compared to Cowher (1-4.)
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Tomlin deserves it. One of the best in the NFL. He's also 2-0 in AFC Title games AT HOME. Something to think about compared to Cowher (1-4.)

Cowhers teams would have destroyed a rookie Flacco and Sanchez ....The 2-0 is a bit overrated when comparing to Brady, Elway