Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #11
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585
Default Re: Rookies DeCastro & Adams Look To Buck Steelers History By Both Starting Week 1

I think we all know that Scott is not going to win. He could be cut as soon as Starks is back to full health and proves it.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Rookies DeCastro & Adams Look To Buck Steelers History By Both Starting Week 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pancake View Post
I hope this turns out to be the right move...
So do I...... I hope they do excellent. Been a long time since this line had something to cheer about.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #13
FrancoLambert
Head Coach

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,484 Times in 775 Posts
My Mood: Breezy

It's amazing how this has worked out for us. We end up with"THE" guard of the draft and one of "THE" tackles of the draft. And here we are discussing if both will start. Think of what we had over the past few years and now what we might have for years to come. Our biggest weakness possibly being transformed into (can't believe I'm saying this...gulp) an asset. Man, if these guys live up to their potential this year's offense could be amazing.
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #14
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 5,392 Times in 2,288 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
It's amazing how this has worked out for us. We end up with"THE" guard of the draft and one of "THE" tackles of the draft. And here we are discussing if both will start. Think of what we had over the past few years and now what we might have for years to come. Our biggest weakness possibly being transformed into (can't believe I'm saying this...gulp) an asset. Man, if these guys live up to their potential this year's offense could be amazing.
not only this year, but next year, and the year after.. lol. if this line pans out, then we basically have young bodies at every position on the line except LG (colon). If this all works out, the OL can be solid for the next decade
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #15
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,264 Times in 3,960 Posts
My Mood: Amused

Last Time A Rookie Started Season At Guard For Steelers Was Unfortunately Rememberable

Friday, May 18th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

I consider myself an amateur historian of the Pittsburgh Steelers and have a huge video collection of games dating back to the early 1970's. I also love going back in time via Google to read old newspaper articles about the team and that includes game recaps after disturbing losses as well.

Ever since the Steelers drafted David DeCastro and Mike Adams in the 2012 NFL draft, you can't help to think that there is a good chance that either one, or maybe even both, could possibly crack the week one starting lineup when the Steelers take on the Denver Broncos. As I pointed out in a previous post, should both DeCastro and Adams start week one, it could possibly be a first for the organization in the Super Bowl era. I know for a fact that it hasn't happened as far back as 1970 at the very least.

DeCastro is a near lock to start at right guard and it would be the first time since 1989 that a rookie draft pick has started at guard for the Steelers in week one of a season. That player was Tom Ricketts and it was not a pretty sight.

Before we get to the game itself you need to know that Ricketts was a first round draft pick out of the University of Pittsburgh where he played left tackle. He also holds the distinction of being the Steelers only 1b pick in the Super Bowl era of the draft. That means he was the second of two first round draft picks the Steelers that year thanks to the trade of linebacker Mike Merriweather to the Minnesota Vikings that was completed just before the draft got underway.

Ricketts was a three-year starter at Pitt and measured in at 6 foot 4 inches and weighed 300 pounds. Reports at that time stated he could bench press 405 pounds and squat 580 pounds. He was drafted to eventually play left tackle for the Steelers who had previously relied on Craig Wolfley the year before to play the position out of necessity. Wolfley, a guard by nature, was regarded as the smallest tackle in the league at that time.

Heading into the first game of the 1989 season against the Cleveland Browns the Steelers were beat up on the offensive line. John Jackson, who would have been the starting left tackle, was out with a sprained ankle. Guards John Rienstra and Terry Long were both sidelined with rib and knee injuries respectively while reserve guard Brian Blankenship was coming off of a neck injury that had him sidelined the previous two weeks. Even the rookie Ricketts was injured as he was nursing a broken left thumb. He would have started at left tackle in place of Jackson, but head coach Chuck Noll thought it would it would be easier for Ricketts to play inside instead until his thumb healed.

So Ricketts headed into his first NFL game not only handicapped physically, but position handicapped as well. He and the other members of the Steelers offensive line were not ready to face the likes of Michael Dean Perry, Robert Banks, Carl Hairston or Andrew Stewart either. Those four Browns defensive linemen were involved in four of the six sacks that the Steelers allowed of quarterback Bubby Brister that dismal at Three Rivers Stadium on the way to a 51-0 loss. The loss still stands as the worst margin the Steelers have ever lost by in the modern era. Ricketts was quoted as saying after the loss, "I've never been in a mess like this in my life."

To make matter worse, the Steelers 1a pick in that 1989 draft, running back Tim Worley, fumbled three times in the game and rushed for just 36 yards on 10 carries. He was booed loudly as you can imagine.

The Steelers have had a few more rookie linemen start week one since that dreadful day in 1989 as Marvel Smith started at right tackle for the Steelers in 2000 against the Baltimore Ravens. The final score? 16-0 Ravens. Another shutout. While Smith wasn't noted as having a bad inaugural game, the Steelers rushed for just 30 yards total on 18 rushes and gave up a sack. Maurkice Pouncey started at center for the Steelers in 2010 as a rookie at home against the Atlanta Falcons. The Steelers were without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was serving the first game of his four game suspension, but they did manage to win the game in overtime 15-9 on a walk-off 50-yard run by running back Rashard Mendenhall.

So that is three games that rookie linemen have started for the Steelers dating back to 1970 and they scored a total of 15 points and were shutout twice. Hopefully the presumed debut for DeCastro, and maybe even Adams, in week one against the Broncos goes much better than their rookie offensive line predecessors. Past performance is no guarantee of future results, right? That loss to Cleveland still stings though and will forever be etched in my mind every time a rookie starts the season on the Steelers offensive line.

One last note to disturb you. Ricketts was the 24th overall selection in 1989. DeCastro was the 24th overall selection back in April.

If you care to relive this as it was written in the newspapers back then:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6864%2C6721596
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4316%2C1370588
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...4318%2C5983038
http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...1939%2C4546142

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...-rememberable/
Old 05-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #16
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
not only this year, but next year, and the year after.. lol. if this line pans out, then we basically have young bodies at every position on the line except LG (colon). If this all works out, the OL can be solid for the next decade
Next year and the year after indeed. And hopefully all those years with this o-line will help extend Roethlisberger's longevity in this league...maybe he CAN actually play into his late 30s now.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

this is not helping, both rookies need as many reps as possible:

David DeCastro and Mike Adams can not participate in Steelers OTA’s

May 19th, 2012

The Steelers first two draft picks who both look like they are on their way to starting roles for the Steelers are unable to participate in OTA’s with the team from a report by Mark Kaboly. DeCastro and Adams both have obligations to their colleges and have to finish school before being able to join the team. They both will be able to participate in mini camp with the team in June.

This is nothing new. The Steelers have seen this before as have many other teams. It stinks though for the simple fact that it would have been nice to get these guys out on the field with their teammates rather then other rookies who are not going to play. Have them get some chemistry started early. These guys both have very high potential and the more they are on the field with their teammates the faster they will gel. We still have all summer though.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/20...steelers-otas/
Old 05-19-2012, 09:42 PM   #18
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

True, but they knew that, and we knew that, when they were drafted. I hope they're digging through their playbooks in the meantime.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:21 AM   #19
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't think it is a big deal seems like we go through this every year.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Report: DeCastro, Adams and Ta’amu may participate in Steelers Minicamp

May 31st, 2012

Ed Bouchette is reporting that the Steelers draft picks David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta’amu may be able to participate in Steelers minicamp. All 3 of these guys are still in school and were not allowed to participate until the semester was over. That now may not be the case.

According to Ed the players can attend when their course work is over not when the semester is over. That means that Adams may be at the next set of OTAs and be at minicamp. DeCastro and Ta’amu will not be at OTAs but they very well could be at minicamp.

This may not sound like much but it could be really important for this team. Especially for DeCastro and Adams. These two guys are expected to start on this team. If they are able to get to at least minicamp that is an advantage for the Steelers. Waiting to get them on the field in Training Camp would put the team behind. Getting these guys feet wet now will only help later.

Lets hope their work is complete and they can make it to camp.

http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/