Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,236 Times in 3,946 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Rookies DeCastro & Adams Look To Buck Steelers History By Both Starting Week 1

Mike Adams Will Miss Steelers Final OTA Session As Originally Expected

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculated on Wednesday of last week that rookie tackle Mike Adams might be able to attend the Pittsburgh Steelers third and final OTA session that gets underway this week after being told last Tuesday that players can attend once their course work ends, not necessarily when the semester ends. Unfortunately that will not be the case as Adams will not be in Pittsburgh this week according to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Adams should still be able to make the final mini-camp that runs June 12-14 as Ohio State graduates next weekend. Like Adams, both David DeCastro and Alameda Ta'amu will also miss their third OTA session this week in addition. It is still unknown for certain if either of those two players will be able to join Adams in making the final mini-camp just yet. The University of Washington reportedly has commencement dates of June 8-10, while Stanford University commencement dates are set for June 14-17.

Adams, who was drafted by the Steelers in the second round this past April, is considered by many to be a candidate to compete for the starting left tackle spot this year, but missing all of the OTA sessions, along with the installation of the new offense of Todd Haley, has certainly not helped his chances. The same could be said for DeCastro, who the Steelers likely hope can win the starting right guard job this year out of training camp. DeCastro however is considered more NFL ready than Adams following the draft and both still have all of training camp to make their marks and win starting spots on the offensive line.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06...ally-expected/
Old 06-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #22
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516
Default Re: Rookies DeCastro & Adams Look To Buck Steelers History By Both Starting Week 1

I just don't get it??!! Why on earth does this rule exist??
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM   #23
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,619 Times in 810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
I just don't get it??!! Why on earth does this rule exist??
probably something to do with education and amateur sport being run roughshod over by pro football.

Imagine a 7th round kid that was told he would have to quit school early to make 3 weeks of OTA's and gets cut anyways, along with possibly does not finish school to graduate?? I'd hate to have to goto school for another semester just because I took a shot to make an NFL team and didnt cut it.

Do you want fries with that?? would be a phrase to start learning.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #24
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

by Teresa Varley - Steelers.com
June 4, 2012

Second-round pick Mike Adams hasn't been able to take part in OTAs yet because of Ohio Stateís class schedule, but that doesnít mean football isnít on his mind. Adams knows the most important thing right now is learning the playbook, but isnít worried about making the adjustment from college to the NFL.

ďAt the end of the day itís football,Ē said Adams. ďThere might be different terms we use in college, but at the end of the day itís all football. For me, itís just the game I love, so I donít really look at it as a difficulty, but more as a challenge to myself to see how well I can master the offense, how quick I can do it so that I can get on the field and help this team.Ē

Adams would like nothing more than to step in right away and help protect quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, but he also knows being a rookie he has to earn his stripes.

ďIím just trying to get my feet wet and try to start and contribute any way I can,Ē said Adams. ďI want to be able to keep the quarterback clean and keep him producing back there, making plays, and everybody knows Ben makes plays. To just have the chance to protect him and do what I love to do is a great opportunity.Ē

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...b-d02ce3a86dc7
Old 06-06-2012, 01:36 PM   #25
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Steelers OL Coach Sean Kugler Not Opposed To Starting DeCastro & Adams If Both Can Win Jobs

Wednesday, June 6th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The Pittsburgh Steelers are wrapping up their third and final OTA session this week prior to the mandatory mini-camp that takes place next and offensive line coach Sean Kugler evidently talked to the media today after practice.

According to Scott Brown of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Kugler said today that he'd like to have a starting five in place by start of training camp at the end of July. This statement is not too surprising by Kugler, but it figures that the starting five that end mini-camp next week will likely line up as starters once training camp gets underway at the end of July. Of course there is no guarantee in that.

Rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams have both missed all of the OTA sessions thus far because of school requirements, but it was reported this past week that both will be present for mini-camp. As far as the opportunity for both to be part of the Steelers starting five, Kugler said that he wouldn't have a problem starting two rookies if they can earn the jobs. The Steelers have not started two rookies on the offensive line at the same time in the first week of the regular season in at least 40 years, and there is a good chance that it hasn't happened during the Super Bowl era.

As far as which group both DeCastro and Adams will run with next week at mini-camp. Brown reports that Kugler said that DeCastro will work with the first and second team, as will Adams. With the two draft picks unable to participate in any of the OTA sessions thus far, Marcus Gilbert, Jonatthan Scott and Trai Essex have all taken first team reps at left tackle over the course of the three weeks. Gilbert, who was told heading into the off-season that he should prepare to play left tackle this year after ending his rookie season as the starting right tackle in place of the injured Willie Colon, has said over the last few weeks that he should not be ruled out of the running for the starting left tackle job despite the Steelers drafting of Adams. Gilbert says the left tackle spot is his natural position and a passion of his to play. That said, he still has reportedly taken quite a few reps at right tackle over the course of the last few weeks.

At right guard, where DeCastro figures to compete for the starting job, Ramon Foster is speculated as being the one to take most of the first team snaps the last two weeks after sitting out the initial OTA session with a hamstring strain.

We should get a better idea of how the first and second units stack up next week and hopefully the media can continue to pass along that information.

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/pittsbur...5-b47a33888d34
Old 06-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #26
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mike Adams Will Miss Steelers Final OTA Session As Originally Expected

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette speculated on Wednesday of last week that rookie tackle Mike Adams might be able to attend the Pittsburgh Steelers third and final OTA session that gets underway this week after being told last Tuesday that players can attend once their course work ends, not necessarily when the semester ends. Unfortunately that will not be the case as Adams will not be in Pittsburgh this week according to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Adams should still be able to make the final mini-camp that runs June 12-14 as Ohio State graduates next weekend. Like Adams, both David DeCastro and Alameda Ta'amu will also miss their third OTA session this week in addition. It is still unknown for certain if either of those two players will be able to join Adams in making the final mini-camp just yet. The University of Washington reportedly has commencement dates of June 8-10, while Stanford University commencement dates are set for June 14-17.

Adams, who was drafted by the Steelers in the second round this past April, is considered by many to be a candidate to compete for the starting left tackle spot this year, but missing all of the OTA sessions, along with the installation of the new offense of Todd Haley, has certainly not helped his chances. The same could be said for DeCastro, who the Steelers likely hope can win the starting right guard job this year out of training camp. DeCastro however is considered more NFL ready than Adams following the draft and both still have all of training camp to make their marks and win starting spots on the offensive line.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06...ally-expected/
So then, what the hell is going on in these photos? What exactly am I missing?

Are they allowed to participate in drills or aren't they?
Old 06-07-2012, 04:38 AM   #27
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,030 Times in 1,277 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

They was alowed to participate in the rookie camp that took place shortley after the draft but that is it.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #28
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Essex on Adams after Kugler got on him for quitting on a play: "A little thing like effort doesn't take a lot of talent to fix."

"Mike Adams learned that's not how we do things here."

https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:S...alphPaulk_Trib
Old 06-12-2012, 04:18 PM   #29
teegre
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 24108
Thanked 17,473 Times in 7,381 Posts
My Mood: Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
Mark Kaboly ‏@MarkKaboly_Trib via twitter:

Essex on Adams after Kugler got on him for quitting on a play: "A little thing like effort doesn't take a lot of talent to fix."

"Mike Adams learned that's not how we do things here."

https://twitter.com/#!/search/from:S...alphPaulk_Trib
Adams's effort is my biggest concern (not the weed).

In Kugler I trust.
teegre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:08 PM   #30
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Rookies DeCastro, Adams busy as minicamp begins

UPDATED JUN 12, 2012
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH (AP)
Willie Colon couldn't help himself. When rookies David DeCastro and Mike Adams walk into the offensive huddle during the opening practice of minicamp on Tuesday, the veteran left guard decided to have a little fun at the expense of the new kids.

''It smells like baby milk and pampers in here,'' Colon said just before quarterback Ben Roethlisberger called out a play.

Hopefully, not for long.

The Steelers wasted little time putting their top two draft picks to work during their first drills with the veterans. Both players split time with the first team after missing three weeks of organized team activities while finishing their studies.

Offensive line coach Sean Kugler did his best to keep his two new projects up to speed, calling them daily to go through reps and relay questions that came up during meetings.

Adams - taken in the second round out of Ohio State - would often bring his playbook and his iPad wherever he went during his final days on campus to help fight off boredom.

''To be honest, I'd be in class watching film and stuff like that,'' he said. ''I kind of checked out of school a while ago, just wanting to be here, getting back with my team.''

While allowing he's never ''satisfied,'' coach Mike Tomlin wasn't displeased with what he saw from either player.

''I'm comfortable with where they are and what they were able to display today,'' Tomlin said. ''Obviously they're working on limited time. They need to hurry up to catch up.''

At least they're here. The same can't be said for wide receiver Mike Wallace, who has remained in Louisiana during the offseason. The restricted free agent has yet to sign his first-round tender though Tomlin remains optimistic Wallace will be in the fold when camp starts in late July.

''It's probably short-term misery,'' Tomlin said. ''Hopefully there will be closure at some point and this will be in our rearview mirror.''

Tomlin won't have to push Adams to put his college career behind him while he tries to shed the reputation he received during a bumpy four years with the Buckeyes. The massive 6-foot-7, 323 pound Adams was an All-Big Ten selection in 2010 and made the second team last year despite being limited to eight games because of his role in the scandal that eventually led to coach Jim Tressel's dismissal.

Throw in his failed drug test just before the NFL combine and Adams arrives in Pittsburgh with plenty of baggage to go with his potential.

''I think some people question my ability (as a person) and as a football player,'' Adams said. ''As long as I do what I'm told and do what I'm taught I'll be alright.''

He won't have to look far for guidance. The locker room is littered with leaders, Colon among them.

The affable 29-year-old is now the elder statesmen among the linemen and is moving from right tackle to left guard. If Adams and DeCastro both do enough during training camp to be starters, Colon will have as much experience as the other four starters combined.

Asked if that makes him feel like a grandfather, Colon smiled and said, ''I don't know about grandpa. Maybe like an uncle.''

One who - much like Adams and DeCastro - is finding himself thrust into a new role. Colon appeared to have a lengthy future at right tackle after signing a five-year extension last summer.

The elation lasted all of one game. Colon tore his right triceps in the season-opener against Baltimore and underwent season-ending surgery. Rookie Marcus Gilbert eventually found a home at the spot, playing so well he'll likely be the starter there when the Steelers open the 2012 season at Denver on Sept. 9.

Gilbert's quick maturation gave the Steelers the freedom to move Colon to left guard. It's unfamiliar territory, but one Colon will gladly explore.

''I'm comfortable because I have no choice but to be comfortable,'' Colon said. ''Besides, I get to play next to (center Maurkice Pouncey). I'm excited. We're like two nasty dogs. Hopefully DeCastro can jump along and we can be three nasty dogs in the middle.''

DeCastro, the 24th overall pick out of Stanford, saves his nasty streak for the field. The soft-spoken 22-year-old spent his final month in college completing his degree in management, science and engineering. His final exams consisted of two projects and a test in his class on linear optimization.

Math, really hard math, in case you're wondering.

DeCastro talked about the exam with a shoulder shrug, saying simply ''it wasn't too bad.'' Maybe, but like Adams, DeCastro is eager to get started on his first real job.

The two rookies do have at least one thing going for them, they don't have to unlearn the system used by former Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. They come to the team as blank slates and their responsibilities really haven't changed despite the jump from college to one of the NFL's top teams.

''The playcalls are different, but the schemes are the same,'' DeCastro said.

It's the stakes that are higher. DeCastro and Adams are part of a young nucleus that will likely protect Roethlisberger for the remainder of his career. Gilbert is entering his second season, Pouncey his third.

They will be given time to grow and the team has never hesitated to thrust young players into tough spots and let them learn on the fly.

It's what happened to Colon, who started 16 games in his third season while helping the Steelers to the Super Bowl.

''With the Super Bowls we won in the past, it wasn't on the strength of the receivers, it was the on the offensive line,'' he said. ''If we can stack some championships up, that will be a testament to the offensive line coach and the guys in that room. Hopefully we do well.''

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...egins/10996490