Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-18-2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 9,334 Times in 3,986 Posts
My Mood: Amused
Default Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.29.12

NOTICE:

Newest chat's being posted when made available. Check latest posts.

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.15.12

TUESDAY, 15 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon. Let's begin

Dude_From_Cali: after 4 games suspension, will Saunders be on the team? TE.

Ed Bouchette: That depends on if you want to get rid of Pope or Johnson.

Nap: Are the Steelers still looking to bring in a veteran RB?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think so at this point.

Dude_From_Cali: 6 foot 8 Wes Lyon, he's no better than a project to earn a spot, right?

Ed Bouchette: Right, and they're trying him at tight end this time.

Okiesteelerfan: How come we hear how great draft picks look in rookie camp? They're in shorts and not even hitting!!!!is it just PR or rationalization?

Ed Bouchette: I don't believe you heard any of that from me.

Okiesteelerfan: Hi Ed, when do you think the new '33 retro jerseys will go on sale? I want to get one

Ed Bouchette: Go to Steelers.com. I believe you can buy them there.

JamesinNYC: When will DeCastro and Spence sign.?..seems pretty cut and dried this year. Was DeCastro falling to 24 an issue?

Ed Bouchette: A few problems have cropped up with signing first rounders 20-25 and in the third round. Don't fret. They have until training camp

Okiesteelerfan: How do you feel the QB situation is? I mean we have a guy who breaks easily and an upper 30's guy. Do you think one of them gets cut to make room for a developmental guy?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think it's etched in stone that both Charlie Batch and Byron Leftwich make the roster.

Dude_From_Cali: Buffalo Bills took all the Steelers' rejects on OL yet they still drafted bunch of OL... is their line that pathetic/depleted?

Ed Bouchette: I haven't paid much attention to the Bills line. I do know the Steelers cut Kraig Urbik and he is a starter for them.

Brasil_Fan: Ed, In an article Ben mentioned his ankle was still a little sore. Anything to be concerned about?

Ed Bouchette: I don't believe so.

dave: Sounds like some of the players are surprised by the offensive playbook. Is this going to be another Joe Walton situation?

Ed Bouchette: It depends on how the players react. Bubby Brister didn't react well to Walton's offense and some teammates took their cue from him. I don't expect Ben R to resist Haley's.

Me: Did Dennis Dixon sign with anyone?

Ed Bouchette: No, not that's been reported anyway.

Jason: Any word on what the Haley playbook is like? Major differences with Arian's offense? Major focus?

Ed Bouchette: Ben told me it was 90 percent different.

JamesinNYC: Beachum is my longshot call, I like the fact that he is a pretty bright kid, and while not sized for a LT position that is where the best lineman should play and he wasn't the first lineman drafted from SMU. Did you get to talk to him at rookie camp? Impressions?

Ed Bouchette: We have you on record. No, I didn't talk to him at rookie camp and really have no impressions other than as the last draft pick of the Steelers, he won't be favored to make the team but as a guard, he has a shot.

JimW: Any news on Hampton's health? I wouldn't be surprised if he was over 400 pounds if he can't excercise...

Ed Bouchette: Someone told me he's in pretty good shape, but I haven't seen him.

Okiesteelerfan: Is Dennis Dixon done in the NFL?

Ed Bouchette: I thought someone would sign him by now. No, I wouldn't say he's done.

Me: Is Hampton a candidate to start the season on the PUP list?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I would think he's a candidate but I wouldn't rule him out of it yet.

s1refrosty: Ed, how many offensive linemen make this Steelers team?

Ed Bouchette: Nine, usually

Okiesteelerfan: How many slots on the Developmental squad?

Ed Bouchette: They are permitted eight on what they now call the practice squad.

s1refrosty: Ed, you make the call. Is this Lebeau's last season?

Ed Bouchette: I've been asked this question annually for many years. I have no indication that Dick LeBeau is ready to hang them up and he's still in great shape and doing a good job.

Nap: Why no love out there for Plaxico Burress?

Ed Bouchette: They showed it last August, he turned them down. They've moved on and really have no spot for him.

Jason: How is Kirby Wilson doing and looking?

Ed Bouchette: Better and better. I've seen him several times and we chatted briefly.

Brasil_Fan: What is your favorite NFL stadium to watch a game?

Ed Bouchette: I'll take Heinz Field from where I sit in the press box. I also like Cleveland, Baltimore and Cincinnati. But Heinz by far -- for my viewing pleasure and other conveniences like access to the locker rooms, etc. I have never seen a pro football game from the stands.

Bart: Will Redman be an every-down back (assuming he is the starter)? Or are those days gone?

Ed Bouchette: That's the question. They think he has it in him and we may find out.

Okiesteelerfan: Do you think Mendenhall will ever put on a Steeler uniform again?

Ed Bouchette: I'm not sure, but I can see a scenario where he will not.

JimW: Why is Slyvester not getting a chance to start, his athleticism has to be 10 times better than Foote's?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think you can say he isn't getting a chance to start. I believe they will be open-minded about that position.

JamesinNYC: Favorite interview or quote form rookie camp?

Ed Bouchette: Myron Rolle. I'd have to go back and look at the story I wrote on him to pick out a quote, but his entire story fascinates me.

JimW: If Keenan Lewis gets beat out at the cb spot, wouldn't he have the size to be the possible replacement for Clark at FS?

Ed Bouchette: He has the size, but I've never heard anyone talk about that as a possible move for him.

Okiesteelerfan: If Hampton is on the PUP does McClendon start at NT?

Ed Bouchette: Can we have OTAs and a training camp first? They drafted a kid on the fourth round who I would not rule out until then.

Dude_From_Cali: Chris Johnson's now down to 4.0 yard per carry average. so may be his brilliance was a flash in the pan or may be Johnson never was the Steeler type of RB and never was on Steeler's draft board. Agree?

Ed Bouchette: Oh, I think he was on their board. They took Mendenhall. Johnson was a disappointment after he signed his new contract.

JimW: Can both Rainey and Batch make the roster or do they only want one "small" back?

Ed Bouchette: They could, yes. Batch is not small. He's 5-10, 210.

Cameron: Besides butler and the rb coach, what assistant coaches do you think would be next in line for promotion?

Ed Bouchette: I don't know that there is an obvious next in line after those two (Mike Tomlin, remember, went outside to hire his OC after Wilson was injured in the fire). I think down the road, Carnell lake might make a good DC.

Jimmy D: Any closer on Wallace signing a long term deal or is a holdout a real threat?

Ed Bouchette: I think there's a better chance for some middle ground -- that he signs his $2.7M tender and plays the season at that.

JimW: Do you think Colon can stay healthy for the whole season?

Ed Bouchette: Once upon a time he did, so I believe he can again, but questions like these are impossible to answer. Even Willie doesn't know.

Cameron: Do you think Clay has a shot to make the roster with the addition of Rainey or was he just a warm body last season?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, he has a shot. You never know how things will play out. Many had Mewelde Moore gone last year -- until Batch tore his ACL.

s1refrosty: With Hampton being injured, do you think his weight will be issue once his knee is ready to play again?

Ed Bouchette: Throughout his career, Casey Hampton's weight has been an issue -- to others, but not to him. Somehow, he's managed to make five Pro Bowls. I just wrote someone told me he's in decent shape.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you for another great chat. See you next week, although because of OTAs, we may have to change the time.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-51512

Last edited by Bayz101; 05-30-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.15.12

Thanks for sharing nice read.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,041 Times in 549 Posts

I had to stop 3/4 the way, I could not read anymore Ed answers, that guy is a incongruable dick head. If he gave me answers like that, I would tell him maybe you should not be in the press and go home and be a house husband or wife, whatever he likes to do at home.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.22.12

TUESDAY, 22 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon, Live, from OTAs, let's begin.

Ryan W: Ed thanks for your time, Do you know if players such as DeCastro and Adams are allowed to workout privately with a coach they hire since they're not allowed to attend OTA's?

Ed Bouchette: Of course. Many have been working out with such conditioning coaches since the end of last season.

SteelersfanSLC: Ed, This year we have CB, RB, DL and OL with changes & battles for starting jobs. Can you remember the last time there was as many positional battles/changes for the Steelers?

Ed Bouchette: Sometimes, that's not a good thing. There have been many "openings" in the offensive line for several years. Wide receiver too. On defense, not so many.

Guest: Decastro will obviously start. But do you think the Steelers would take a chance with two rookie starting o-linemen if Adams is the best in camp?

Ed Bouchette: Have you seen their line play the last couple of years. I would say that is a small-risk chance they would be taking.

Guest: Any progress in getting the last two picks signed?

Ed Bouchette: I would not worry one little bit about either of those players signing.

Ed Bouchette: Sean Spence, by the way, practiced even though he has not yet signed his rookie contract.

JamesinNYC: Is Adams right or left tackle when he gets to practice? Wallace hurts or helps himself by not attending OTA? Doesn't matter to me for what it is worth.

Ed Bouchette: Adams will be at left tackle, Marcus Gilbert stays on the right. Wallace probably is neither helping nor hurting himself -- and I mean the latter literally, he cannot get hurt in OTAs.

Guest: Any updates on Mendy's condition and has he spoken to any of you in the media?

Ed Bouchette: He was here today, running. Casey Hampton is here too, rehabbing. No, I did not speak to Rashard, but then we can only speak to players in these things as they are coming off the field. If you're lucky, you might get to talk to two players. Today, I talked to one.

Guest: Having covered the Steelers for so long how would you access the division now versus a few years ago?

Ed Bouchette: The Steelers and Ravens fighting things out, the Bengals up and down, as usual, and the Browns at the bottom. That's how things have pretty much been for awhile with the wildcard the Bengals, who every once in awhile pop up as a contender.

The Chief: Am I the only one who thinks this is one of the tougher schedules in recent years?

Ed Bouchette: I haven't taken a poll but I don't even think about schedules except when I make my plane reservations. Didn't they have the toughest sked in the NFL the last time they won the Super Bowl?

Okiesteelerfan: Ed, I crack up at the comments about how spectacular all the new rookies/players look in OTA. The one was the overly exuberant nature of the report on P Manning in Denver. How do you think he will do against the Steelers D in his first real game in 18 months?

Ed Bouchette: Peyton, remember, had neck problems and there were some reports that it affected his right arm. So, those reports are more newsy than some that merely note how well a rookie offensive tackle is doing. If Manning's arm indeed is sound, he will give the Steelers all they can handle, I would assume, especially in Denver.

PSU fan: Think the ex Penn Stater Derrick Williams can make the team as a returner?

Ed Bouchette: I think that might be tough, especially with Chris Rainey.

Guest: What's the latest on Leftwich signing. If it drags out do they look elsewhere, or perhaps younger?

Ed Bouchette: I assume you missed the fact that he signed, just before the draft. He practiced today.

Guest: Ed, granted we haven't seen these guys yet in camp, but based on the Steeler needs and what you have heard about the guys drafted how many draftees do you think realistically could make this roster?

Ed Bouchette: Start with the first five. I also think there's a spot for WR Toney Clemons.

Guest: Ed, Big Ben recently spoke at a banquet for the first time. He really does seem have changed for the better. Some are still skeptical. Based on what you've seen and how he's done a 180 with the media how would you access the new Ben?

Ed Bouchette: I think he's more at ease with everyone -- us, his teammates and the public.

trinisteel: Who starts next to Timmons at ILB?

Ed Bouchette: Larry Foote

Dirt Dinardo: Think the Steelers will ever look at putting in some new kind of turf, or do you think they will continue to play on sod and put in a new field during each season?

Ed Bouchette: I think they will stick with the real stuff. They have a system now that works reasonably well, rolling out new sod after Thanksgiving.

Jack Fleming: Off topic here, but have the Steelers ever given Super Bowl rings to their broadcasters? Many teams do, some in recent years including the Saints didn't?

Ed Bouchette: Myron Cope told a story about how he was offered one and he turned it down, said he was not part of the team. Later, the IRS came knocking and wanted to know why he did not claim the ring on his income tax because they assumed he got one. He told them he was in the clear. Since then, I do not believe the broadcasters have been offered Super Bowl rings.

Dude_From_Cali: has Sean Spence resembled a "human bullet" in practice or simply run of the mill?

Ed Bouchette: It's one practice, 90 minutes long. I did not notice one way or the other.

Rich from Bellevue: One topic which used to surface from time to time during the Arians era was whether or not they might use a "pony" backfield. So permit me to ask the same thing about the new coordinator's intentions.

Ed Bouchette: I don't know. They won't let us talk to him.

Guest: Ed when people talk about great clutch QB's I think Bradshaw gets overlookd quite a bit, like on NFL Networks top 10 he didn't even make the list, yes the defense was great but when the game was on the line Bradshaw would deliver, Do you think great D sort of hurts Bradshaw when people discuss his career?

Ed Bouchette: There were so many great players on those teams, the plaudits were spread around pretty good. I don't think Bradshaw gets shorted -- he made the HOF on his first try -- but he's rarely listed among the top quarterbacks in the game when people rank them. I think it's because, especially early in his career, he had terrible stats.

Roger Goodell: Ed, have you thought about doing a story with some old-time Steelers to get their take on so many former players suing the league and to see what they think and whether they will join all the lawsuits being filed?

Ed Bouchette: I will tell you something: I've talked to a few of those players and some people in the league. Lawyers are blindly calling every player who ever played football to see if they will join these lawsuits. It's what they used to call ambulance-chasers. On the players' part, they figure they have nothing to lose by agreeing to it.
That is why there are thousands of these former players signed up. I talked to Frenchy Fuqua and he joined one of the groups, and he told me 8 different lawyers called him trying to persuade him to join.

Rich from Bellevue: (Bradshaw wasn't a "clutch" QB, and that's a compliment. A "clutch" QB is one who performs late-game heroics to pull out a victory, whereas a truly great QB plays great the *whole* game, and so his team is usually *ahead* late in the game).

Ed Bouchette: He was both. Go look at the fourth quarter of SB 14.

Rich: So if Spence is participating without a contract, what happens to him if he gets hurt?

Ed Bouchette: He better have an insurance policy.

Dude_From_Cali: any reason as to MIke Adam's low bench press number of 19? what would be his normal bench #?

Ed Bouchette: Yeah, it means he wasn't strong enough to bench press No. 20. you'd like to see those guys in the mid-20s at least. However, the Steelers will introduce him to their weight room and that should correct that problem.

Ed Bouchette: Thank you all for another great chat. I'll see you next Tuesday.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-52212
Old 05-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

Love these chats becasue Ed is such a snide dude. Awesome!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:13 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.29.12

TUESDAY, 29 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Ed Bouchette: Good afternoon from rainy Pittsburgh, let's begin

Alan: Hi Ed. My first chat with you. What do you think the offensive battle plan be for the upcoming season?

Ed Bouchette: I think they need to capture Little Round Top. We've written stuff where they want to keep Ben out of harm's way as much as possible, throw to the backs more, run more effectively. Don't know much beyond that.

Ed Bouchette: Storm bad enough here in Pgh eastern suburbs that I'm on the lookout for Dorothy to come flying by.

Bruce: Any of draftees or free agents stood out to you thus far at OTA's?

Ed Bouchette: Chris Rainey has looked good to me.

Tommy Maddox: How would you evaluate Ben's progress so far in the new offense?

Ed Bouchette: It is so difficult for me to judge that. He'll do fine; he always does.

Clint: Do you the Steelers using Heyward more often this year, as a way to keep Keisel more fresh?

Ed Bouchette: Yes, I can see him spotting both sides -- provided he does not win a starting job himself.

Frency Fuqua: Ed, I think the Steelers have a pretty good stable of backs and the competition will be fierce. Clay, Batch, Dwyer, etc may be hard pressed to make the team. What do you think?

Ed Bouchette: Well, someone has to make the team at that position. I don't think you'll see all three of those players you mention out. Mendenhall should start on PUP so he doesn't count. If they keep four, they have five: Redman, Clay, Dwyer, Batch and Rainey. One would have to go.

Ed Bouchette: And it won't be Redman

Tship: Hi Ed, Hope you had a great weekend. Do you get the feeling that Ben and Haley are starting to get on the same page?

Ed Bouchette: Yes I do.

Okiesteeler fan: Ed I read that McClendon is listed at 280 lbs but is more like 325, any light you can shed? Does he start the season at NT?

Ed Bouchette: He may, if Hampton's not ready and Ta'amu doesn't blow him away.

Hombre De Acero: Thanks for the update on Tom Donahoe. Back in the 1990's Donahoe was a hot commodity. Any insights into why he could not reproduce the success he had in Pittsburgh up in Buffalo?

Ed Bouchette: too many hands in the pot up there in Buffalo with a 90-something owner who knows little about patience anymore.

Steel Curtain Rising: How surprised are you that the Steelers are opting to keep Marcus Gilbert at right tackle?

Ed Bouchette: My sources tell me he was at left tackle today. They have to keep those options open.

DK: Hey Ed, Love your work and chat's of course. Since we-the-fan never attend OTA's, could give us some insight into what actually goes on? How long practice lasts? Are the players onsite all day (practice, lifting, studying)?

Ed Bouchette: They arrive in the morning and while I don't know in what order they do this, they have meetings, lift on their days to lift and then go to practice. I believe they are finished when practice ends, unless they have to go to the trainers room for treatment or lift, etc. It's not a full day. they practice for 90 minutes.

Steel Curtain Rising: With David Johnson offically a fullback, how many backs do the Steelers keep, and who is on the bubble?

Ed Bouchette: I think they'll keep four plus the fullback.

Clint: Are you surprised Dennis Dixon has not been given a shot somewhere else?

Ed Bouchette: Yes I am but then I'm also surprised that Troy Smith has been cut by two teams and is fighting for a backup QB spot with the Steelers.

Steel Curtain Rising: With Donahoe's return to Philly is it a safe bet that should Andy Reid depart that would be one vacency that Bill Cowher's name not be connected with?

Ed Bouchette: I don't think you'll find those two working together again, if that's what you mean.

Okiesteeler fan: Ed with the move to FB for Johnson who is in line for TE #3?

Ed Bouchette: You mean, if they keep three now that they have a fullback? Weslye Saunders, although he has to serve that 4-game suspension, would be one. Jamie McCoy. I assume Leonard Pope is ticketed for No. 2.

Steel Curtain Rising: Last week when OTA's started some of your competitors seemed to be insinuating that many of a long-term deal with Wallace might be in the offing. What is your take as we close May?

Ed Bouchette: I must be missing something because I did not see that. I've heard nothing about them being anywhere close to agreeing to a long-term deal.

Bill the Thrill: Speaking of Batch, how close is he to being all the way back and has he been able to do much thus far in otas?

Ed Bouchette: He seems to be going through everything in practices, and I have noticed no dropoff.

Art Rooney Jr.: Do you think the naming of Tom Modrak to head BLESTO impacts the Steelers in any way?

Ed Bouchette: Not in the least. The man who holds that job is serving too many teams.

Guest: Ed, a little while ago you wrote that the nose tacke might become somewhat of an obesete position with it becoming a passing league. My question is how do you see that affecting the Steelers defensive philosophy which is based around stopping the run first and then putting teams in difficult situations and forcing mistakes?

Ed Bouchette: That's a general philosophy. They can tailor their defense to different styles of play, as they did vs. Tom Brady and the Patriots last season.

Dave: Hi Ed, Are you forced to do these chats?

Ed Bouchette: With a gun to my head, you mean? No. They asked me to do them, suggested rather strongly, and usually when bosses do that, you say yes. Plus, what better way to spend a rainy spring afternoon in Pittsburgh? And napping is not an option.

Dude_From_Cali: assuming Max Starks is healthy come training camp, is there room or salary space or a NEED for Max Starks on the crowded roster?

Ed Bouchette: If they want him, they'll find room. And if the rookie doesn't show quickly that he can handle it, they may want him.

Guest: Am I mistaken or has Leftwich not signed yet?

Ed Bouchette: He has been signed since the draft and has been through all spring practices.

shawn91: I read that Toney Clemons the WR. local boy has been a stand out so far. what are your thoughts?

Ed Bouchette: Let's see what he does in training camp and preseason games.

Steeler fan: A little off topic, but you never hear of any of the younger Rooneys coming up in the family business. Not that Art II is old, but does he have any kids who are being groomed to carry on the legacy?

Ed Bouchette: I would not call it being "groomed,'' no, but his eldest son Dan is graduating from Dartmouth, where he was a quarterback, and will intern at the NFL offices in N.Y. this summer.

Ed Bouchette: Thanks for another fine chat. We'll have one more of these next Tuesday, and then I'm off on a long vacation.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...anscript-52912
Old 05-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 3,489 Times in 1,568 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Thanks for posting all of these here, 5-0. I'll update the thread title.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 4,058 Times in 2,084 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default Re: Ed Bouchette's Steelers chat transcript: 5.29.12

The Next Dan Rooney

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote