Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 5,416 Times in 2,633 Posts
My Mood: Innocent
Default A lot has changed at ILB

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-14fb5db58892

Since the way the position is played is changing, it’s appropriate that the people being asked to play it are changing as well.

When the Steelers defense takes the field as a unit during the first of 10 OTAs today, there will be no No. 51 in the center of the huddle. There still is a No. 51, but rookie Sean Spence will be on the sideline when the call goes out for “first Okie.”

James Farrior is gone, and while there will be attention paid to the issue of who replaces him at inside linebacker, an even bigger issue for the Steelers as they prepare for the 2012 NFL season is how the position of inside linebacker has evolved and whether they have the personnel to deal with that.

Used to be that inside linebackers made tackles on running plays. Find the ball, get the man carrying it on the ground. That’s how Jack Lambert played it once Chuck Noll switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in the early 1980s. Then David Little after him, and Levon Kirkland after him and Earl Holmes after him and Farrior after all of them. But running the football isn’t as big a part of contemporary NFL offenses, and teams have become both unapologetic for that and creative in ways not to do it.

Take the Baltimore Ravens, for example. A division rival, a team that embraces the violence of the sport, an offense that still will line up a 260-pound fullback in front of a 218-pound tailback. Yes, the Ravens do that, but they now also have the capability to complement that beef with a couple of athletic tight ends who have to be covered down the field. The 275-pound inside linebacker might work OK when the task calls for butting heads with Vonta Leach and getting Ray Rice on the ground, but when it comes to running with Dennis Pitta and Ed Dickson, well, not so much.

And besides, as linebackers coach Keith Butler explains it, even against the run, the position has come to require more stealth and speed than strength and power.

“The day of the (isolation) with the middle linebacker is almost gone,” said Butler. “Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks, and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is misdirection and trying to fool you or out-number you one way, and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the linebackers to have the ability to read now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to (stuff a hole) on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.”

Without Farrior, someone will be taking on the role of defensive signal-caller, and both Butler and coordinator Dick LeBeau firmly believe that someone will be Larry Foote. And both of them are quite comfortable with that.

“I don’t think we will miss a beat there. Larry has called signals quite often,” said LeBeau. “The other comforting factor for me is we are signaling in the calls anyhow, so whoever is out there is going to be taking our calls. It’s the poise and the field generalship of the man whose voice they are hearing in the huddle – he has to command their respect, he is our quarterback, he is the voice they hear. I’m very glad Larry Foote is going to be that guy.”

The other guys the Steelers have in the upper portions of the depth chart at the position are Lawrence Timmons, Stevenson Sylvester, Mortty Ivy, and the aforementioned rookie draft pick, Spence. From these five most likely will be the group the Steelers take into the start of the regular season, and the group figures to include no more than four.

While much of the early interest could focus on the Steelers adapting to Farrior’s absence, the critical element of the whole thing should be the continued development of Timmons. In the run-up to the 2011 season, Timmons, the former No. 1 pick of the team’s 2007 draft, looked very much like the next in the long line of excellence the Steelers have had at linebacker. Evidently management agreed, because Timmons was rewarded with a contract extension before the team left Saint Vincent College last summer.

The two sacks and one interception Timmons would contribute during the regular season weren’t up to the splash-play expectations he carried last season, but both Butler and LeBeau commended him on some of the team-first things he did that likely impacted his individual statistics.

“Lawrence Timmons moved around. He’s played inside and outside,” said Butler in reference to Timmons being the go-to guy when the Steelers were forced to compensate for the injuries to James Harrison and/or LaMarr Woodley.

“I would prefer to leave Lawrence inside and give him a chance to get some of the recognition. I feel like he’ll play well enough to get the recognition that he deserves, because I believe he’s one of the better linebackers in the league. If we can keep him at one position, inside, then he has a chance to be one of the better linebackers in the league.”

Another interesting contestant here is Sylvester, a fifth-round pick in 2010 who looks most like the prototype inside linebacker, and who has done some prototypical things in terms of what the position long has required.

“Stevenson has made his living doing a great job in the special teams aspect, and I always found that guys who can excel in that area generally can transfer it over to scrimmage play,” said LeBeau. “You’re moving in space, locating the ball, getting through blockers and getting the ball carrier on the ground. These are exactly the things you have to do as defensive player. I’m usually comforted by a defender who is doing well on special teams. Sylvester has done that. He played some for us, not a whole lot of game experience, but in the preseason when he went out there he did a very fine, capable job. He’s going to have to step up and give us depth there. I’m very confident that he will.”

And as for Spence, right now he’ll need to follow the path Sylvester initially used to earn a roster spot, because, as Butler already said, “He’s not going to start at ‘mack’ linebacker over Lawrence Timmons. That isn’t going to happen. He’s going to help us on special teams.”

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,795 Times in 3,690 Posts
Default Re: A lot has changed at ILB

alot of people cant stand larry foote.

dick lebeau is not "alot of people".
Old 05-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #3
Steelers>NFL
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 15311

I like Foote. He is not GREAT. Nor BAD. He is a run stopper. Not much into defending the pass.
Having said that, he does produce.
Plus I love it when he makes a good/great play. Laying the "Foote" down...
Steelers>NFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

Never had a problem with foote. Actually like him
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,387 Times in 4,786 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

personally, I'm not too crazy about Larry "Slow-A-Foote" being one of our starting ILBs...
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #6
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,856 Times in 2,899 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers>NFL View Post
I like Foote. He is not GREAT. Nor BAD. He is a run stopper. Not much into defending the pass.
Having said that, he does produce.
Plus I love it when he makes a good/great play. Laying the "Foote" down...
he's serviceable. would like to see sylvester bump him though.
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
he's serviceable. would like to see sylvester bump him though.
Sylvester has shown a tremendous amount of athleticism on ST. Hopefully he can win the starting job. I am sure he will get more snaps than he is used to at a minimum.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,387 Times in 4,786 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Rookie Steelers LB Spence finding his way

By WILL GRAVES - AP Sports Writer
May 23, 2012

Sean Spence walked toward his locker during his first day as a Pittsburgh Steeler last month, saw the number hanging from the hook and couldn't quite believe it.

Did the Steelers really give him No. 51, the same number worn by longtime defensive captain James Farrior?

Yep.

"I didn't have a choice," Spence said.

Don't get him wrong. The rookie inside linebacker out of Miami (Fla.) is hardly complaining.

It's just he knows what No. 51 meant to the franchise over the last decade. All Farrior did in his 10 years with the Steelers was make a couple of Pro Bowls, help the franchise to a pair of Super Bowl victories while leading a unit annually among the best in the league.

No pressure or anything kid.

Spence is only too aware of Farrior's legacy and happily embraces it, though he also thinks trying to draw some kind of meaning out of being assigned Farrior's number is a stretch.

"I'm happy to have it but I think if they would have drafted another linebacker they would have got the same number," Spence said. "Luckily they drafted me."

Besides, the number is the only thing Spence and Farrior have in common at the moment.

First off, there's the hair.

Farrior, released by the team as part of a salary cap purge in the offseason, regularly shaved his head. Spence's helmet sits atop bushy dreadlocks.

Then, there's the body. At 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, Spence is three inches and 15 pounds lighter than Farrior.

"Hey, I've never been the biggest guy in the room," Spence said with a shrug. "I never let that bother me and I'm not going to let it happen now."

Lastly, there's the resume. Spence doesn't even turn 22 until next month and while he was an All-ACC selection during his senior season with the Hurricanes, he knows that hardly compares to the remarkable 15-year run put together by Farrior.

It's why Spence saves the comparisons for others. Besides, he's got time. Spence will spend this season learning behind veterans Lawrence Timmons and Larry Foote while making contributions on special teams.

He doesn't view himself as an heir apparent. At this point he's just trying to absorb defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's complex 3-4 defense while trying to absorb all he can in meetings.

Asked if he speaks up when he's got a question, and Spence just laughs.

"I don't," he said with a shake of his head. "I'm just listening right now. Just listening to those guys and laughing at them."

While doing whatever he can during organized team activities to prove the Steelers made the right call when they took him with the 86th overall selection in the draft. Spence is small for a linebacker and downright tiny by Pittsburgh standards.

That's fine by Spence, who models his play after former Hurricanes star and current New Orleans Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma. Like Vilma, Spence is a little undersized. Like Vilma, Spence hopes it doesn't matter.

"I know my speed is what helps me the most when I'm out there," Spence said. "If you get yourself in the right position, it doesn't matter how big you are. You've just got to make the play."

Spence is already turning heads. Foote took notice when he saw Spence wearing Farrior's old number but made a point to praise the way Spence has approached the job.

Foote knows it's difficult to replace a franchise fixture. It happens all the time in Pittsburgh and yet the Steelers continue to roll. Foote knows the Steelers don't draft linebackers without thinking they can thrive. This is the same team that selected LaMarr Woodley and Lawrence Timmons in back-to-back years and helped turn James Harrison from a practice squad player into a perennial All-Pro.

"A couple big shoes have been left yeah," Foote said. "But I remember when Kimo (von Oelhoffen) left, when Joey Porter left, guys like that and you've got to give credit upstairs."

Linebackers coach Keith Butler believes Spence's instincts should allow him to pick things up quickly. Maybe, but Spence isn't taking any chances. He has spent his first full week in Pittsburgh shuttling between the team's facility and his hotel room.

Besides, there's a big difference between the Southside and South Beach.

"It's not (Miami)," Spence said.

http://www.nrtoday.com/article/20120...ntProfile=1055
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote