Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-23-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,967 Times in 4,647 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Kovacevic: Get over it, Ben

Kovacevic: Get over it, Ben

By Dejan Kovacevic - Tribune-Review
Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Ben Roethlisberger's disposition seemed as sunny as the skies over the Steelers' South Side fields Tuesday morning. It was the opening of organized team activities, and he looked as loose and lively in drills - "I've lost a few pounds," he explained - as he did in animatedly engaging his teammates.

Big Ben, bundle of joy.

Right up until someone brought up the playbook.

And even then, through media questioning of how the franchise quarterback is handling new offensive coordinator Todd Haley's wholly new playbook, Roethlisberger at least went with a grin-and-bear-it approach.

I asked if he and Haley are on the same page yet.

"Well, that's the goal," Roethlisberger replied with a broad smile. "I'm going to put in extra work to learn his offense and try to get there."

Does he like what he's seen of the plays so far?

"Yeah, sure," he came back, this time with a slight shrug. "It's kind of early to see too much."

How about this OTA opener?

"It was frustrating. It gets frustrating at times. But we'll keep learning."

Roethlisberger's still smiling all this time, by the way.

Will it be hard to stay in the pocket, as Mike Tomlin and the coaches are urging him?

"Sure, yeah, I mean, whatever. I'm supposed to get rid of the ball, stay in the pocket, not take hits ... so, I guess I better learn where the protections are coming from so I don't get hit."

More laughter.

There was a lot more of this, too. And with each passing answer, it became that much more transparent that Roethlisberger has a long way to go to accept how the Steelers treated him this offseason.

I don't blame him.

First, team president Art Rooney publicly stated that Roethlisberger needed to "tweak" his game, meaning to scramble a lot less and stay healthy.

Think Robert Kraft suggests positional philosophy to Tom Brady?

Next, Rooney and Tomlin fired Bruce Arians, Roethlisberger's offensive coordinator of five years, and stunned pretty much everyone. Including Roethlisberger.

Think the Packers pull that with Aaron Rodgers?

Finally, Tomlin hired Haley, also without Roethlisberger's input, and is implementing a brand new offense.

Think Peyton Manning didn't pack his own playbook when he flew off to Denver?

In modern professional sports, the franchise players do have some say. We don't have to like it. The Steelers don't have to like it. But it's the way things work now, with all the money and leverage elite athletes have.

Roethlisberger, a two-time Super Bowl champion, has achieved far too much in Pittsburgh to have been toyed with this way. He has every right to feel disillusioned by how this winter played out.

But he also needs to get over it. Like today.

A week ago, Roethlisberger was asked in a radio interview if the new offense might offer a chance to refresh or refocus. Roethlisberger's response: "Uhhhh ... I think Coach really wants to challenge us. Me, maybe, in particular. I think he felt like I was real comfortable with the old offense, which ... I don't know why that's a bad thing. But I'm not the head coach."

No, Roethlisberger is not. Moreover, he's not about to undo any of this, either with comments like that or even by quietly taking the field with a chip on the shoulder. Tomlin isn't about to cede control to his players. Arians isn't coming back. Haley isn't rewriting his playbook.

Time to cope.

Besides, by all accounts, including that of Roethlisberger himself yesterday, the hardest part of adjusting to Haley's playbook hasn't been the offense. It's been language.

"I don't think it's going to look all that different once we're doing it," Roethlisberger said. "It's just a matter of getting used to the terminology."

Again, time to cope.

Roethlisberger's teammates sound confident he'll do exactly that.

"From a quarterback's perspective, it's tough changing offenses," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said. "I saw Brett Favre go through it when he got to the Jets. He'd been doing one thing his entire career, and what we were doing, the terminology, it was like a foreign language to him."

That was with Favre arriving late in training camp of 2008.

"It's always easier for a coordinator to just come in and implement their own stuff," Cotchery continued. "I understand it. We all understand it. We just have to embrace the change."

In closing my interview with Roethlisberger, I couldn't help but ask if he'd lost weight primarily to show the Steelers he can still scramble.

"Nope," he replied. "Just trying to stay healthy. I'm getting old."

More laughter.

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...en-coordinator
Old 05-23-2012, 02:43 AM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive
Default Re: Kovacevic: Get over it, Ben

Is it pre-season yet?

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,095 Times in 569 Posts

I wish i didnt have to hear anything involving Big Ben before or after a game. Whether he is being interviewed, whether he is in a bathroom stall getting his weasel waxed, or whether some hack bitches about him. Big Ben is the most irritating athlete ever in the 3 major sports teams i follow.
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:06 AM   #4
lloydwoodson
Head Coach

Member Number: 23495

Honestly this is such a hacknyed piece of writing that I doubt many will find this irritating at all. Ben just needs to watch out for the countless reporters trying to lead him into offering incendiary remarks. This seems more like a summary of quotes other reporters have solicited.
lloydwoodson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #5
Millers the sh!t
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 22201
My Mood: Cheeky

3rd grade teacher: alright class, time to break out your math books cause this year we are learning arithmetic.

Ben: but I just learned addition and subtraction and I'm really good at it....

3rd grade teacher: sorry Ben but this stuff is gonna help you so much more in life and make you a smarter and more valuable person to society.

Ben: this sucks, I'm mad. When's lunch, gym, and recess?

Told you guys Bens a selfish simpleton. Anyone else want to debate me again on this topic?
Old 05-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #6
Rick5895
Team President

Member Number: 5148

Let the Ben bashing begin. Geez, the media manipulation of this whole thing is blowing it way out of proportion. What we see on the news shows and on the little video snippets are edited, they are either going to be edited to make it look like Ben is unhappy with the new scheme of things or it is going to look like he is on board 100%.

Let's wait until we are well under way on the season before we start calling him a "selfish simpleton" just because the media manipulates a couple of comments he makes. If the so called "sulking act" we are being lead to believe by the media is happening and our O is worse off then we can all start with the "attacks" until then lets take it all for what it's worth, which is basically nothing at this point.
Rick5895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:00 AM   #7
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,783 Posts
My Mood: Aggressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post
3rd grade teacher: alright class, time to break out your math books cause this year we are learning arithmetic.

3rd grade teacher: sorry Ben but this stuff is gonna help you so much more in life and make you a smarter and more valuable person to society.

Told you guys Bens a selfish simpleton. Anyone else want to debate me again on this topic?
I'd debate you on it if it made any sense at all. Ben doesn't need to get over it, YOU need to get over it. Where there's a topic criticizing Roethlisberger, you're there in a heartbeat.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.

Last edited by Bayz101; 05-23-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Bayz101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #8
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

If i was Ben, i would not grant this IDIOT any more interviews.

Horrible piece of writing. Does this guy think he's a psychologist or something?? The answer's seemed just fine to me...but no...this guy tries to super-duper-over-analyze everything he said, twist his words, and then try to dictate what was said.
Did i mention this guy SUCKS as a "writer" ?
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #9
IowaSteeler927
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15801
Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,116 Posts
My Mood: Tired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millers the sh!t View Post

That "selfish simpleton" has helped this team to two Super Bowl titles. He constantly gets bombarded by the media looking to make him look bad to get a story. Things he says are always getting blown out of proportion. The Ben haters such as yourself are the ones that need to get over it. He's part of this team and he's entitled to his opinion.
IowaSteeler927 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
steelax04
Assistant Coach
Supporter

HolmenKollen Ski Jump Champion!
Member Number: 12182
My Mood: Yeehaw

Or it may just be the fact that Ben is tired of all the bullshit that the media is trying to stir up about this new offense and when the questions start flying about it, he stops caring.
steelax04 is offline   Reply With Quote