Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Hold Off Judging Jonathan Dwyer Until He Arrives At Training Camp

Hold Off Judging Jonathan Dwyer Until He Arrives At Training Camp

Thursday, May 24th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

One of the concerns of Steeler Nation that seems to be surfacing coming out the Pittsburgh Steelers first OTA session this week is the weight of third year running back Jonathan Dwyer. His weight has been a concern of Steelers General Manger Kevin Colbert as well, who said back in late February on SiriusXM NFL Radio, “He's a big guy and you know sometimes he's a little too big quite honestly. He has to keep his weight in check, but he's 245 to 255 and he can run.”

Dwyer participated in the first two days of the OTA session this week and was excused Thursday so that he could attend his brother's high school graduation ceremony. Most of the fan base concern stems from the video shot of the day one practice that took place on Tuesday. I grabbed a still from that video that shows Dwyer to be a little thick around the middle.

Weight control is nothing new to Dwyer though as he admitted to showing up at training camp last year a little heavy, which led to him having to drop 15-20 pounds pretty fast. When asked about the extra weight he showed up with last summer, Dwyer said, “I was working out a lot right after last season. But then during the lockout, I rested my body and gained weight. The lockout was long, and I didn’t know when we’d come back. I just messed up.” When pressed further as to how he lost the weight he said, ““Just working, man. Working hard ... doing extra work in the mornings during camp ... running gassers after practice with the rest of the running backs ... eating right and not eating after a certain time of day ... keeping my calorie count down ... just doing the right things. I’m losing weight every day. I’m back on the right track, and it is showing with the way I’m practicing and the way I’m playing.” Dwyer said at that time he was down to around 235-238 pounds.

This off-season has also presented another obstacle for the Georgia State product as he was recovering from surgery to repair a broken left foot he suffered late last season and he was not clear of rehab until early February. This of course prevented him from running for a good amount of time and that is certainly something he apparently needs to do keep his conditioning up and his weight down. Dwyer said back in April that his plans were to train with Tom Shaw during the the month of July, but those plans have since changed. He told us on the podcast a few weeks ago that the plan is now to train at Bommarito Performance Systems in Florida alongside teammates Antonio Brown and Lawrence Timmons. Dwyer said recently that ideally he would like to play at 225-230 pounds.

Training camp is still a good couple of months away and there are still two more OTA sessions and a mini camp that will take place over the course of the next three weeks. Following that Dwyer will still have a considerable amount of time to get his weight down. Until then I suggest we all hold off judging him until he reports to Latrobe for the start of training camp. Dwyer knows he has a great opportunity ahead of him to be the backup to Isaac Redman with Rashard Mendenhall likely to start the season on the PUP list. I fully expect he will photograph better at that time.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._camp/10865765
Old 05-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,496 Times in 2,759 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Hold Off Judging Jonathan Dwyer Until He Arrives At Training Camp

[youtube]t2mU6USTBRE&[/youtube]
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #3
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Jonathan Dwyer: Steel City Survivor

Submitted by Syndicated sources on September 2, 2012

Going into the 2010 NFL Draft, Jonathan Dwyer was one of the hottest names floating around in dynasty circles. After all, he had just finished a fantastic career at Georgia Tech that saw him run for 1,395 yards in each of his last two seasons, on a healthy average of over 6.4 yards per carry. Tack on his 26 touchdowns in those two seasons and he looked like a future first round rookie pick in dynasty drafts.

All was not to be wine and roses, though.

Prior to the combine, Dwyer revealed he had been playing at around 240 pounds his entire Junior season (his last in college) and his coaches verified his weight was a constant challenge for him to maintain. He was able to get down to 229 for the NFL combine and ran a 4.59 40 at there, though some had him clocked in the 4.6 or 4.7 range, which is pretty sluggish for a tailback.

When you combined his disappointing combine numbers (somewhat verified at his pro day) with concerns about his ability coming from an unconventional triple option attack, the stock of Dwyer seemed to be slipping out of the first round and possibly as late as the third.

Things got worse from there.

Dwyer tested positive for a banned substance at the combine, but it was later deemed as acceptable due to a medical condition. That condition was never verified, but Dwyer himself stated it was for treatment of an attention deficit disorder. Ironically, the positive drug test didn’t hurt his draft stock, but the condition itself likely did as Dwyer fell all the way to the sixth round of the draft, being selected at #188 overall by the Pittsburgh Steelers. At that point, players aren’t even guaranteed a roster spot.

His first training camp was nearly a total disaster as he showed up overweight and hurt his hamstring on the first day. It didn’t get any better as he hurt his shoulder later in camp and looked to be clearly on the roster bubble. Dwyer salvaged a roster spot by playing well in the preseason’s last two games, rushing for 175 yards and a touchdown on 33 carries, good for an average of 5.3 yards per carry.

The Steelers knew he wouldn’t make it on to the practice squad, so they kept him on the active roster. He finished the season by appearing in one game, carrying the ball nine times for 28 yards – hardly what dynasty owners could have hoped for.

Going into 2011, hopes were again rekindled as Dwyer made the Steelers as the fourth running back. He finally broke out in week six with 107 yards on 11 carries against Tennessee, showing everyone he still did, indeed, have some talent. Unfortunately, he broke his foot shortly after that game and went on injured reserve, prompting many dynasty owners to finally cut bait.

This year again brought some new hope with Rashard Mendenhall hurt and Isaac Redman being the lead back to start camp. Dwyer reportedly showed up to camp in the best shape of his life and it’s finally translated to the field. With Redman being very average in the preseason, Dwyer took the most of his opportunity and ran for 147 yards on 28 carries, good for an average of nearly 5.3 yards per carry. He’s also caught three passes for 48 yards, which has never been his strong suit.

Going into the season, Dwyer finally has some momentum. He’s passed the eye test thus far during the preseason as Redman has struggled, gaining just 38 yards on 17 carries. The coaching staff isn’t revealing who will start for Pittsburgh (and they play in the late game on Sunday, which makes it tough), but there’s little doubt that Dwyer is going to begin the season with meaningful touches for the first time in his career, whether he’s the starter or not. The best bet at the moment is Dwyer and Redman split carries with Chris Rainey sprinkled in on occasion.

Dwyer has been a total disappointment in dynasty leagues – it’s just a fact. However, he’s finally going to get a chance to showcase his ability and possibly carve out a meaningful role in the offense. He’s a great player to have stashed on your bench right now because the Steelers running game is a huge question mark. If his preseason play can translate to the field in the regular season, it’s going to be tough to keep him on the bench, even when Mendenhall comes back.

Personally, I’ve never been a believer in Dwyer. His weight issues and lack of passion have always bothered me. It looks like those could be in the past, but I find myself skeptical. If he puts together some solid games early, he may be a great dynasty “sell” candidate to a contender as I still find it hard to believe he’s the long term answer at tailback for the Steelers. The only problem is going to be deciding what to do if those games he puts up are “great,” and not “solid.”

We’ll soon find out.

http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar...vivor/11610265
Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I like Dwyer, could have a great stable of RB'S. With Mendenhall (although mayne not past this year), Redman, Dwyer and Batch. I know Rainey technically is a RB but I shutter thinking he may get murdered running betweethe tackles ala Eric Metcalf! And I know Batch isn't much bigger but so far it looks like he plays bigger. If that makes sense?? Either way, HERE WE GO STEELERS!
austinfrench76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinfrench76 View Post
And I know Batch isn't much bigger but so far it looks like he plays bigger. If that makes sense?
actually, Baron Batch at 5'10" 210 lbs is much bigger (30 lbs) than Chris Rainey who is 5'9" and 180 lbs.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #6
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 13033

It may be homer-ish to say, but our stable of backs - Redman, Mendy, Dwyer, Batch and Rainey - considered a supposed weakness, pre-TC - has morphed into a strong unit, IMO.
SteelerFanStuckInBaltimor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #7
GoFor7
Banned

Member Number: 24211

When/If Mendenhall returns, I wonder which RB won't be dressed. I doubt they'd dress 5 RBs on gameday. My guess would be Batch.
GoFor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:42 PM   #8
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Baron Batch looks like ol' reliably Moore. A guy that always moves forward on carries.

I went back and watched the preseason games. Dwyer was really running like a mad man. He showed that he can be a very violent runner. He has welcomed the contact this year by always tucking his head and trying to punish defenders or giving em' a strong stiff arm. I just KNEW this year with Mendy on the mend, the competition would be tough. I've been a little disappointed with Redman. While he is a very reliable tailback, he hasn't shown me a single big play in a while. With Dwyer you have a guy that seems to be ready to take on a much bigger role. Maybe even a starter. I just love the way he has punished defenders this preseason. I never really worried about his weight. One thing guys like Bettis of old or Mike Tolbert nowadays have shown me is that it isn't always about the weight. It is about the desire. I wish I could compile all of Dwyer's runs this preseason. He just looks like he has the mentality that "While you may be out to crush me, I want to crush you first!" HERE WE F@UCKING Go STEELERS!!

btw, i know it is another subject, but we always line our TE up as FB in motion on the I-formation.. God I wish Pope realized how big he was.. I hope he developed into a better lead blocker on some of our inside runs.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,307 Times in 3,522 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post

btw, i know it is another subject, but we always line our TE up as FB in motion on the I-formation.. God I wish Pope realized how big he was.. I hope he developed into a better lead blocker on some of our inside runs.
if he is too dumb to know how to read a measuring tape we probably dont want him on the team in the 1st place.

even lebron james knows that just because you have freakish size and skills, football may not be the way to go.

bottom line is l. pope really aint shit.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Pope is endlessly frustrating. He has all the physical capabilities to be a great tight end, but he is maddeningly inconsistent in effort and technique.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote