Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow
Default Ed: Keenan Lewis Predicts Pro Bowl for Himself

Ed: Keenan Lewis Predicts Pro Bowl for Himself

THURSDAY, 24 MAY 2012 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good afternoon,

The Steelers ended their first week of spring practices today, their third straight day of the permitted 10 (not counting minicamp).

Ben Roethlisberger, who did not practice today, said the new offense is making “progress.’’

“We’re getting there. I figured three days in week one, we’ve made some progress.”

Coach Mike Tomlin told Roethlsiberger to take the day off so he stood behind the offense with a copy of the practice script and basically watched.

“Mental reps,’’ is what he called his day. He said it had nothing to do with his previous sore arm or ankle.

“It was nice having the script on me and seeing everything, and it gave me more time to talk to coach during [practice].”

He said he was “trying to look at everything and talk to players and try to get an understanding what eerybody’s doing on every play.”
---
What happens if rookie Mike Adams goes through training camp and cannot cut the mustard at left tackle?

Trai Essex? Jonathan Scott, who opened their last season, or Marcus Gilbert.

Gilbert was pegged to be the left tackle this season right up until the Steelers drafted Adams on the second round. Gilbert played left tackle at Florida his final year and both he and Tomlin have called it his more natural position.

“I’m naturally the left,’’ said Gilbert, who was put there in his rookie training camp.

“When they moved me over to the right tackle, it took me a week or two to get back in the groove. I got the hang of things. It’s all about preparation and repetition.”

---
Keenan Lewis either will regret the day he said this or live up to it, but today he predicted he would make the Pro Bowl this year, his fourth with the Steelers. Of course, first he’ll have to win the job at left cornerback that is open.

“Watch out,” Lewis said, “this is going to be a big year right here.”

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...wl-for-himself
Old 05-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319
Default Re: Ed: Keenan Lewis Predicts Pro Bowl for Himself

Let's hope, bold prediction but who knows.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:59 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,425 Times in 2,732 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

i hope he's right
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
Merchant
Team Captain

Member Number: 15019

Highly doubt it. But I guess it doesn't hurt to have confidence.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #5
PhantomJB93
Team President

Member Number: 13907
My Mood: Drunk

You have to get INTs to make the Pro Bowl nowadays. Unfortunately being a solid, shutdown cornerback doesn't count for anything anymore, you have to either already be a big name or show up on the fantasy stat sheet.

Good thing is, when you're relatively unknown as Lewis is, QBs will actually throw your way more and he'll have a chance to make those turnovers.
PhantomJB93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 10,960 Times in 4,646 Posts
My Mood: Mellow

Steelers cornerback Lewis sees chance

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, May 25, 2012

You can count Keenan Lewis’ NFL starts on one finger.

And if not for the Steelers starting last year’s Sunday night game in Indianapolis with three defensive backs, he wouldn’t even have that on his resume.

But what Lewis lacks in experience, he makes up for with bravado.

Three days into organized team activities, Lewis isn’t talking about competing with second-year players Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown for the left cornerback position. Keenan Lewis is talking Pro Bowl.

“Pro Bowl and help my team win the Super Bowl,” Lewis said after being asked what he expects from himself this year. “That’s where I am going. I am going to be there.”

No Steelers cornerback has made the Pro Bowl since Rod Woodson in 1997. Before that, you have to go back to 1982 when Mel Blount made the last of his five appearances. Woodson and Blount went on to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Lewis has one career interception.

“I am expecting a whole lot out of Keenan Lewis,” cornerback Ike Taylor said. “Around here, the expectations are sky high for him.”

The Steelers released Bryant McFadden during the offseason and weren’t interested in bringing back free agent William Gay. Instead, they were comfortable giving Lewis every opportunity of securing the starting job while having options behind him in Brown and Allen.

However, Lewis doesn’t plan to relinquish the starting job.

“I can’t let them take it,” Lewis said. “Like I told you, I am going to the Pro Bowl, so I have to be out there.”

Lewis, who is heading into his fourth year, signed a restricted free-agent tender in April that will pay him $1.26 million for the upcoming season. Lewis will be an unrestricted free agent next year, making this year even more important for him.

“This year is huge or me,” Lewis said. “I have a contract coming up and I have the opportunity to start. I am the starter, and I am taking it one day at a time trying to get better.”

Lewis was drafted in the fourth round out of Oregon State in 2009. After a rookie season in which he rarely saw the field, Lewis showed promise during training camp two years ago that earned him a preseason start in Denver. After getting called for two personal foul calls in the first half, Lewis was benched. He then entered coach Mike Tomlin’s doghouse after the game when Lewis broke a glass-encased sign heading to the locker room.

Lewis made the team but was inactive for four of the first five games and was relegated to 43 total defensive snaps the entire year. Last year, Lewis was a key ingredient in the Steelers’ top-ranked passing defense. Lewis played cornerback as Gay pushed over to nickel back during their sub-package defenses. Lewis played more than 400 snaps despite being credited with only one start.

“Last year helped out a lot, but I considered that more of a free-style kind of playing,” Lewis said. “We would usually just go man-to-man. Now, I am trying to see what the linebackers are going to be at so I can get some steals.”

Steals means interceptions, and that’s something the Steelers struggled with a year ago. They picked off only 11 passes (Green Bay led league with 31), with their cornerbacks contributing only five.

“I am out here working, but I am really trying to get my mind prepared,” Lewis said. “That’s why I am out here talking to guys like Troy (Polamalu) and Ryan (Clark). They are helping me out telling me where I need to be and how to get better.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...nt-opportunity
Old 05-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,012 Times in 3,426 Posts

“Watch out,” Lewis said, “this is going to be a big year right here.”

tthe patriots have already posted this quote on their bulletin board.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118

Sure fire Kiss of Death right there.
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:40 AM   #9
pete74
Super Moderator
Supporter

Member Number: 15921

i think he can be a really good CB like Taylor but i would bet a years salery against him making the Pro Bowl this year unless 29 other starting CB's pull out because of injuries.

as for his statement, i dont understand why its news. i would be disapointed in any player that didnt have high expectations for themselvs and there team. everyone should always thrive to be the best and the Pro Bowl is were the best go
Old 05-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #10
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
i think he can be a really good CB like Taylor but i would bet a years salery against him making the Pro Bowl this year unless 29 other starting CB's pull out because of injuries.

as for his statement, i dont understand why its news. i would be disapointed in any player that didnt have high expectations for themselvs and there team. everyone should always thrive to be the best and the Pro Bowl is were the best go
I agree...Glad the kid has confidence, although it does make the fall even harder if he fails.