Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #21
Kingmagyar
Team Captain

Member Number: 16118
Default Re: Rainey or Batch?

Will Rainey survive the backs on backers drill?
Kingmagyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,642 Times in 1,994 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingmagyar View Post
Will Rainey survive the backs on backers drill?
Good question. He's definitely not a bruiser, but he can run like the wind blow's.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #23
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,627 Times in 5,218 Posts
My Mood: Amazed

Role of hybrid is pivotal to Steelers’ offense

By Mark Kaboly - Tribune-Review
Published: Friday, June 1, 2012

Baron Batch or Chris Rainey could fill a vital role for Todd Haley’s offense

Baron Batch 24 5-10 210 Texas Tech 2nd year

Chris Rainey 24 5-8 178 Florida Rookie

Only a fraction of Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley’s system has been installed through the first two weeks of organized team activities.

Even so, one critical concept has become quite clear — a player who can line up as a running back, motion out of the backfield and set up at the slot receiver position is going to be extremely valuable.

Enter Baron Batch and Chris Rainey.

Despite not having one NFL snap between them, Haley has a pair of prototypical hybrids with Rainey (5-foot-8, 178) and Batch (5-10, 210) who can fill that important role in his offense.

“It might be third down, it might be by package, you might see him as a receiver or as a running back, but you’ll see him do a little bit of everything,” Haley said after drafting Rainey.

The same can be said about Batch, who tore his ACL after turning some heads during the first week of training camp last year. He missed his entire rookie season.

“There is a lot of stuff to get the backs in space (with this offense),” Batch said.

The hybrid role sounds like a typical run-of-the-mill third-down back, but it’s really much more complex.

Haley is looking to create favorable matchups with a versatile guy who can outrun linebackers and safeties from multiple spots on the field, and he could get that with Rainey or Batch.

Rainey started 13 games at running back and six at slot receiver during his time at Florida, and Batch was versatile while at Texas Tech, making them good fits Haley’s hybrid role.

“I have no clue yet what my role will be,” Rainey said. “I don’t care what it is, but I love running back. I am ready whatever they want me to do. I have mad confidence in myself. I got a lot of talent and God-given gifts.”

Haley used that role the past two years in Kansas City with Dexter McCluster. After toying around with McCluster as strictly a slot receiver, Haley settled on a role in the backfield for McCluster where he could run or catch it equally effective.

Haley said after a preseason game last year against Baltimore when McCluster gained 71 total yards on seven touches (six of which came on first down) that “this guy clearly in space is a hazard to the defense.”

McCluster had 516 rushing and 318 receiving yards on 160 touches last year from the hybrid role.

Batch welcomes the challenge of the position if presented to him.

“Roles are something that we really don’t talk about,” Batch said. “I have always been that type of player that I am willing to do a lot of things. Being a competitor, I don’t like to put myself in a certain box of what I can do. I like to be well-rounded, and if I am asked to do something, I know that I can do it effectively.”

Batch isn’t 100 percent yet since ACL surgery in August. He’s been wearing a blue practice jersey indicating that he’s still not ready for rough play, but he is sure he will be ready for training camp where he is prepared to battle Rainey for what could not only be a significant role with the offense but a roster spot as well.

“I always say this, if you are not willing to compete, you shouldn’t be in the NFL,” Batch said. “I am a competitor, and I love to compete. I am a competitor in everything I do whether it is ping pong or bowling. I want to be the best at it, and because of that, I think of wherever they put me I can compete and do well.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...receiver-chris
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #24
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Really interesting article. I wonder if there's room for both on the 53 man roster when it comes down to it. And if there is, how much use will both get? It might be a situation like Brown and Sanders their rookie year, fighting for a helmet each week.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #25
Steeldude
Living Legend

It depends on the Steelers' injury issues after pre-season. Will they keep 4 or 5 RBs?
Old 06-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #26
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,743 Times in 977 Posts

I'd like to say both make the squad, and maybe one inactive at a time. Hopefully, with better blocking, as well as a more balance attack on either side of the field, these two kids should do very well. We are still going to need a pile driver hammer type tailback, but the most of the time, in our base O, look for a lot of Rainey and Batch for about 14 touches a game combined.
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #27
cbrunn
Starter

Member Number: 23984

I think they both will make the team ... Rainey will make the team as a return man/running back/ slot receiver

Batch will make the team as a 3rd down back...he can block and catch great out of the backfield ...

Imagine Ben in the shotgun ... split to both of his sides are Rainey and Batch ... along with Wallace, Brown, Sanders wide with Heath at TE .... who do you focus on??
cbrunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #28
VaDave
Team President

Member Number: 479
Thanked 1,743 Times in 977 Posts

Next weeks opponent. This game is over.......
VaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #29
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

How about Rainey and Batch, goodbye Dwer? That's just my opinion.
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #30
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,512 Times in 3,134 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

rainey could be the next 'slash' if he can also play qb in trick plays lol

people also are talking about batch being the 3rd down running back (myself included), but who knows? The guy isn't small (210 lbs), and he's big enough to be a feature back. I think he will compete with redman for the starting position. a little camp competition is healthy for both.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote