Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-28-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,741 Times in 2,930 Posts
Default Pittsburgh Steelers Rank Third in Most Popular NFL Teams

Pittsburgh Steelers Rank Third in Most Popular NFL Teams

by Neal Coolong on May 28, 2012

According to an ESPN poll of a random sample of 1,500 Americans, the Steelers are the third-most popular team in the NFL.

The poll was conducted by asking participants 12 years of age and older which team was their favorite. Since 1994, this survey has polled 390,000 Americans, and the results are cumulative.

The Dallas Cowboys were No. 1 with 8.8 percent of the vote. The Green Bay Packers were No. 2 at 7.2, barely edging out the Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Giants, who both had 7.1 percent, good for third place.

The New England Patriots (6.8 percent) Chicago Bears (4.2 percent) and New Orleans Saints finished 5-7, respectively. The San Francisco 49ers (4.0 percent), Philadelphia Eagles (3.9 percent) and Denver Broncos (3.8 percent) rounded out the top 10.

The poll did not indicate whether fans voting for other teams were aware of the fact no other team has won six Super Bowls the way the Steelers had, or what their opinion was on how they determine the real best franchise in the league.

Dallas has missed the playoffs in three of the last four seasons, and has won one playoff game since 1998.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...kers#storyjump
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:27 PM   #2
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts
Default Re: Pittsburgh Steelers Rank Third in Most Popular NFL Teams

i'd like to know WHERE everybody that was polled lives

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

hey man, just because they did the polling in the Dallas metro area and in Wisconsin doesn't make the poll accurate! lol...

I would bet if they did the polling upwards of 100,000 people instead, the Steelers would climb higher. 2 things stand out. Road games. There is NO other team represented like ours. Its not even close.
And the other is 'jersey/apparel' wear. When i travel all throughout the country, you don't see NE jerseys. Or Giants jersey's. And etc, etc. Granted i see some Dallas wear, but not alot. There is no doubt some Green Bay fans out there and wearing it proudly. I see it quite a bit.
But then there's Pittsburgh. MAN.....its not even CLOSE. Everywhere i go i see Steelers stuff by the dozens...apparel, stuff on cars, etc. Dwarfs the competition. You'll see "home" stuff in the area you happen to be in, but when it comes to a team thats not the home team, its STeelers stuff by far.
I really believe we are the # 1 team....and i honestly think GB beats Dallas nowadays in terms of fans.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

GreenBay and the Giants will be more visible now because of recent SB wins...But I can't believe Dallas is number 1 anymore...Oh well, who really cares....
Old 05-28-2012, 05:49 PM   #5
ricardisimo
Administrator

Member Number: 15369

The freaking Cowboys. Well, that does it... it's time for the Steelers to start shooting for 9-7 seasons and getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round more regularly. Last year was a good start, I guess. No other way for us to catch up to Dallas.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #6
mikegrimey
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 15679

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardisimo View Post
The freaking Cowboys. Well, that does it... it's time for the Steelers to start shooting for 9-7 seasons and getting knocked out of the playoffs in the first round more regularly. Last year was a good start, I guess. No other way for us to catch up to Dallas.
The ranking was most popular franchise, not most successful. Of course, a random sampling of 1500 fans isn't a great indicator, but really why does anyone care?
mikegrimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,092 Posts

dallas has virtually no competition and pretty much dominate all markets west of the mississippi and east of california.

sure denver has a significant western hold, but make no mistake, phoenix AZ is cowboy country. chiefs and st. louis have a bit of local share as well.

that cowboys love benefits the steelers as well. for every person that loves them, there is probably someone who hates them. the southwest if flooded with steelerfans. its almost unbeleivable considering how far we (southwesterners) are from pgh and how close we are to TX.

if this poll were taken in mexico, you can bet dallas is #1 and pittsburgh is a close 2nd.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
dallas has virtually no competition and pretty much dominate all markets west of the mississippi and east of california.

sure denver has a significant western hold, but make no mistake, phoenix AZ is cowboy country. chiefs and st. louis have a bit of local share as well.

that cowboys love benefits the steelers as well. for every person that loves them, there is probably someone who hates them. the southwest if flooded with steelerfans. its almost unbeleivable considering how far we (southwesterners) are from pgh and how close we are to TX.

if this poll were taken in mexico, you can bet dallas is #1 and Pittsburgh is a close 2nd.
As someone who lives in the Phoenix metro area for over 20 years I must take issue with your statement that "phoenix AZ is cowboy country". There are at least, and in my opinion many more, Steeler fans here than there are bandwagon Cowhooker fans.

Phoenix metro has arguably the largest Steeler bar outside of the Burgh at Harolds corral. see http://haroldscorral.com/steelers/ Hell Harold's even sells season seat licenses for their prime viewing locations in the bar. For playoff games and Superbowl Harold's drew over 5000 and had to put them in tents in front of portable TVs out in the parking lot.

Just to illustrate the point here is a partial list of the Steeler Bars in the Valley of Sun
Dub's Famility Grill and Bar Mesa AZ Map
R.T. O'Sullivans II Mesa AZ Map
The Amber Inn Cocktail Lounge Phoenix AZ Map
American Junkie Scottsdale AZ Map
Sugar Shack Scottsdale AZ Map
Doc & Eddy's Tempe AZ
Harold's Cave Creek Corral Cave Creek AZ
1st Round Draft Sports Grill Gilbert AZ Map
Max's Sports Bar Glendale AZ Map
o2 Lounge Glendale AZ Map
Padre Murphy�s Glendale AZ

Remember that Phoenix is over 2000 miles from the Burgh so we have a lot of Steeler bars here considering the distance.

There is also the fine establishment in Chandler Arizona named "Pittsburgh Willy's. see http://pittsburghwillys.com/ Great hot dogs and I had one for lunch last week.

I can't commute to work every day with out seeing at least one Steeler bumper sticker or decal. If I go to the local grocery store I often see folks wearing the colors proudly. Just today when I was out shopping at two local malls I saw two Steeler jerseys and no cowgirls.

The Steelers are also very popular in Tucson and up on the res (reservation). In the small group of thirty people I work with there are 3 Steeler fans, 1 Cowgirl, 1 Giant, 1 49er, 1 Packer, 1 Ratbird, and 3 bandwagon Turdnial fans who get teased a lot.

So with all due respect you are dead wrong in saying the Phoenix is Cowboy country.

The mighty force of Steeler Nation in STRONG in the Valley of the Sun and much stronger than the pathetic cowgirls.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair QB
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 6,741 Times in 2,930 Posts

Poll finds Cowboys to be NFL's most popular team

By Dan Hanzus
May 27, 2012 at 01:46 p.m.

Every few months or so, we come across a survey that claims to have determined who is the NFL's most popular team.

We always figured this was just a way to rile up Dallas Cowboys fans (this is not difficult), a notable example coming last December when a poll found that the Packers had discount-double checked the Cowboys out of the title of "America's Team."

But in the latest study to hit the mainstream, the Cowboys have gotten their mojo back. According to ESPN Sports Polls, 8.8 percent of fans root for Big D on Sunday, good for No. 1 on the list.

According to ESPN, Pollsters conduct 1,500 monthly telephone interviews with a nationally representative sample of Americans age 12 and older. They have reached 390,000 Americans since 1994 via land lines and cell phones, in English and Spanish.

The Packers came in second with 7.2 percent of the vote, with the New York Giants (7.1), Pittsburgh Steelers (7.1) and New England Patriots (6.8) rounding out the top five.

We have a feeling Shahid Khan won't like what he sees here, as it appears the poor Jaguars will be going stag to prom again this year. In a related story, Justin Blackmon has called his agent three times since the beginning of this story to find out if he can file for free agency.

So what can we take from this list? Well, winning Super Bowls will certainly boost your popularity. The Packers, Giants and Steelers have all hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in the last five years, while the Patriots have won three rings and appeared in two more Super Bowls in the past decade.

The Cowboys haven't sniffed the Big Game since the 1995 season, but they've undoubtedly been helped along by history and an unending parade of primetime showcases. And as much as Dallas fans hate to hear it, kudos to supporters of the Eagles, who cracked the top 10 without a single Super Bowl triumph.

That is what you call a backhanded compliment.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...content_stream
Hawaii 5-0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaSteeler View Post
As someone who lives in the Phoenix metro area for over 20 years I must take issue with your statement that "phoenix AZ is cowboy country". There are at least, and in my opinion many more, Steeler fans here than there are bandwagon Cowhooker fans.

Phoenix metro has arguably the largest Steeler bar outside of the Burgh at Harolds corral. see http://haroldscorral.com/steelers/ Hell Harold's even sells season seat licenses for their prime viewing locations in the bar. For playoff games and Superbowl Harold's drew over 5000 and had to put them in tents in front of portable TVs out in the parking lot.

I can't commute to work every day with out seeing at least one Steeler bumper sticker or decal. If I go to the local grocery store I often see folks wearing the colors proudly. Just today when I was out shopping at two local malls I saw two Steeler jerseys and no cowgirls.

The Steelers are also very popular in Tucson and up on the res (reservation). In the small group of thirty people I work with there are 3 Steeler fans, 1 Cowgirl, 1 Giant, 1 49er, 1 Packer, 1 Ratbird, and 3 bandwagon Turdnial fans who get teased a lot.

So with all due respect you are dead wrong in saying the Phoenix is Cowboy country.

The mighty force of Steeler Nation in STRONG in the Valley of the Sun and much stronger than the pathetic cowgirls.
HA! i will gladly accept that and ammend my statement to say that the cowboys are still favored over the cardinals in AZ.

i always figured it went COWBoYS, cardinals steelers. i will change that to steelers-cowboys cardinals (maybe denver or the raiders are 3rd fav?)

i will say i went to the phoenix zoo the summer of 09 right after we defeated the cardinals and i had 4 positive comments on my willy parker jersey and not a single negative one. even had a family from the pgh area strike up a conversation with me.

its not that much different her in NM. cowboys rule (naturally due to location and television coverage), but the steelers are a near second favorite.

steelerfans are everywhere and theyre loud, and proud, and sport their colors accordingly. even broncofans take a back seat.