Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,927 Times in 5,329 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Ramon Foster Back Practicing, Worilds May Have Broken Thumb

Report: Ramon Foster Back Practicing, Worilds May Have Broken Thumb

Tuesday, May 29th, 2012 by Dave Bryan

The second OTA seesion of the 2012 season got underway on Tuesday as the Pittsburgh Steelers were back on the field again. There has not been too much reported from the Tuesday session, but Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review did pass along word via Twitter that offensive lineman Ramon Foster was back on the field after missing last week due to a hamstring strain. Kaboly also noted that linebacker Jason Worilds appears to be recovering from a broken thumb. Worilds missed the OTA session last week with the injury and it appears he will miss this week as well.

Kaboly also notes that linebacker James Harrison is not present and that fifth round draft pick Chris Rainey is still fast. While not noted by Kaboly, rookies David DeCastro, Mike Adams and Alameda Ta'amu are still absent because of school rules and Mike Wallace is still not present as he has of course yet to sign his one-year tender offer.

Bob Labriola noted via Twitter that running back John Clay looks like he has a nice burst running the ball and Emmanuel Sanders looks fast and has been catching everything thrown his way and is making it look easy. That is good news for Sanders who dealt with knee and feet issues last season.

Kaboly also noted on Twitter that the recently retired Chris Hoke was at practice again today and actually jumped in line to take a turn hitting the sled. Kaboly says Hoke is at 225 pounds now and that the sled didn't move as much as it used to.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...-broken-thumb/
Old 05-29-2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Bayz101
Renegade
Supporter

Member Number: 18856
Thanked 4,756 Times in 2,029 Posts
My Mood: Tired
Default Re: Ramon Foster Back Practicing, Worilds May Have Broken Thumb

Haha! Got to love Hoke! He's going to be like Alan Faneca before long, skinny as hell.

"Either you're playing dumb, or it's not an act". -Judge Judy

No need to drive me crazy. I can walk from here.
Bayz101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,721 Times in 3,219 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

good news about sanders, i have high hopes for him this season. he hasn't had enough time to fully heal from the super bowl injury in his rookie season, until now. He will likely be a breakout player for us this year.
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

It will be interesting to see him and Cotchery battle it out for playing time as the 3rd receiver.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,765 Times in 4,056 Posts

does everyone remember sanders and brown's rookie camp? they are pretty much clones of eachother with speed, size and hands (i mean they both combined for 600 receptions in college alone so their hands should never be in question).

once the season began, they both had highly contested weekly battles to see who would win a hat for return duties on sundays. by all accounts these came down to the wire every week.

sanders was a bit more polished as a wr and brown was a tad more elusive in returns. neither of their speed was in question until sanders got hurt.

the biggest knock on sanders coming out of college was playing in june jones run n shoot offense.

i think he wins the 3rd wr job but will give up snaps to both rainey and cothery (and a 2nd TE in a multitude of situations).

i also think he'll be primary back up at both x and y position.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

What Does The Future Hold For Ramon Foster?

Saturday, June 9th, 2012 by Christopher DiMarino

There are a few battles this offseason that excite me. While many of the rookies are just beginning to arrive, many positional battles are already being created. One of the more intriguing stories will be Ramon Foster. He did a very good job last year considering many had him pegged as a depth player. Where does he fit in with the 2012 Steelers and beyond? Can he make a move to a different position or challenge his teammates for a starting position?

Foster has made it very far considering he went undrafted. He was signed as unrestricted free agent (UFA) after the 2009 draft passed him by. He was a three year starter at Tennessee who played left guard as well as right tackle during his days as a Volunteer. Foster made the roster in the 2009 season as a backup to Chris Kemoeatu in the left guard position and he clocked some minutes on the field in relief of Kemoeatu that year. During this past season, Foster played the same second fiddle originally, but eventually took over the starting right guard job early in the season due to injuries.

This has been a big offseason for Steeler offensive lineman. Kemoeatu was cut as a result of his injury issues and the price tag associated with him. Max Starks still hasn’t been picked up as he recovers from knee surgery and Trai Essex went "Biggest Loser" on us. The team weathered these changes by drafting David DeCastro to play right guard. They took this a step further when they drafted tackle Mike Adams with the intention of swinging right tackle Willie Colon to left guard. DeCastro and Colon would represent the odds on favorites to win the guard positions given that they represent big investments to the team. DeCastro is a first round pick and gift who dropped several spots in the draft after being considered a top ten player by some. Colon on the other hand was given a very lucrative contract just under a year ago.

The good news is that Foster earned a lot of respect from Sean Kugler for his performance last year. He can use this, combined with the fact that this will be his fourth year in the position for leverage when competing. DeCastro is very new and Colon will have to adjust to a new position. The bad news is that while many consider Foster a threat to start, Doug Legursky got the start at right guard originally last year. This happened while Foster was backing up Kemoeatu on the left. So would it be wise to say that Foster can compete at whichever position offers the biggest prospect for him to play? Maybe, but last year when a starting guard job was up for grabs he didn’t win it originally.

Can Foster compete at either guard position or will he line up on the left side mostly in camp? I found a pretty good article that explains the difference between all the offensive line positions. Basically, left guards are preferred for their size, strength and pass blocking ability. Pulling is also a big part of the Steeler offense, and while they aim to be more omni-directional, pulling is a needed skill for a left guard. Typically since the best rushers are put on the quarterback’s blind side (offensive left side), the best pass blockers are put on that side. While both tackles and guards need to do everything well, this is the typical method of determining what player is better suited for which side. It makes sense that Colon, a right tackle, moved to left guard instead of right.

So the bottom line is that Foster might get more work at left guard as he competes with Colon in camp. He will unlikely win that job, but I can guarantee that he is a very important player this season. He’s a considerable backup in case of injury, and Colon hasn't played but one game in the last two seasons. He brings competent skill at a fairly low price tag in addition. He has started at both guard spots and did not represent a big threat to the offense’s success in doing so. Being a former offensive lineman, I can guarantee you that the differences between right tackle and left guard are much more drastic than you think. At the same time, these guys have been playing all over the offensive line for a long time. They develop such close bonds with their linemates that a transition shouldn’t be a long or difficult one Colon. The one thing I can guarantee is that if Colon falters for any reason, Foster will be there to pick up the pieces and keep the Steelers going full steam ahead.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/06...-ramon-foster/
Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #7
FrancoLambert
Team President

Member Number: 20827
Thanked 1,764 Times in 915 Posts
My Mood: Sleepy

Foster's a back-up at best. I hope we're able to upgrade our O-line backups as much as the starters.
Worilds seems to get nicked a lot, no?
FrancoLambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
Worilds seems to get nicked a lot, no?

yes, and he was oft-injured in college also which worries me...
Old 06-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #9
Steelersfan87
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 18585

Butler said Worilds' injury occurred during the season and he played through it.
Steelersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 2,902 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
yes, and he was oft-injured in college also which worries me...
It worries me that we spent a 2nd round pick on him and we could have spent it on an ILB that would be starting by now, rather than the oft injured backup.