Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,582 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Steelers agree to terms with 3rd-round pick Spence

PITTSBURGH (AP) The Pittsburgh Pirates have signed third-round pick Sean Spence to a four-year contract. Financial details were not disclosed.

The Steelers chose Spence with the 86th overall pick. The former Miami (Fla.) star gives the Steelers needed depth at linebacker after the team released veteran James Farrior earlier this year.

While allowing it's ''impossible'' to replace Farrior, a 15-year veteran, linebacker coach Keith Butler was impressed with Spence's speed and instincts. Spence led the Hurricanes with 106 tackles last season but will likely only see times on special teams as a rookie.

Read more:http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steeler...1877--nfl.html
Old 05-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,689 Times in 5,239 Posts
My Mood: Amazed
Default Re: Steelers agree to terms with 3rd-round pick Spence

Finally: Sean Spence signs with Steelers

by The Sports Jags
May 29, 2012

And then there was one. Now that third-round pick ILB Sean Spence is locked up for four years, David DeCastro is the only draft pick that the Steelers need to sign – rumor has it it’s going to happen soon.

The Steelers picked Spence because they had a huge need at the inside backer position with James Farrior getting released and Larry Foote getting slower and balder. A lot of people, us included, thought it was super weird that the Steelers chose Spence to be the guy to help Lawrence Timmons bring the inside backing corps into the future. Spence spent his career at Miami as an outside linebacker and a lot of scouts even thought he should transition to the safety position in the NFL. The Steelers seem to know what they’re doing when it comes to the draft so we’ll trust them with this one…for now.

Spence’s resume is still pretty impressive so if he can build on that in the pros, he’ll be a stud. He’s 11th all time at The U with 318 tackles (pretty impressive in itself) and he’s one of just six Canes to record 100 tackles twice in their career. He also recorded 10.5 sacks, 47 tackles for loss, 4 forced fumbles and a pick six. Not too shabby for a kid that’s only 5’11.

He’s going to have to compete this year with Stevenson Sylvester and Foote to get playing time in Dick LeBeau’s 3-4 but with his speed and technique, he could be special teams monster right off the bat.

This is a huge signing to get out of the way for the Steelers. Now, if DeCastro would just follow suit and get his deal done.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articl...elers/10897355
Old 05-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
bornaSteelersfan
Starter
Supporter

[QUOTE=Galax Steeler;1013824]PITTSBURGH (AP) The Pittsburgh Pirates have signed third-round pick Sean Spence to a four-year contract. Financial details were not disclosed.

QUOTE]

I guess he'll be a good "clean-up" batter that plays center field?
Oh, wait...shortstop?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:10 PM   #4
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

The pirates thing confused me to.. I got excited for a second lol.. Spence may be smaller but the inside linebacker position in the 3-4 is evolving. He actually looks a lot bigger in that picture than I expected.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #5
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 7,537 Times in 3,143 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post
The pirates thing confused me to.. I got excited for a second lol.. Spence may be smaller but the inside linebacker position in the 3-4 is evolving. He actually looks a lot bigger in that picture than I expected.
5'11 and 230 is a pretty solid build, so dude's pretty jacked. he will prolly be 240ish by the end of the year on the steelers diet plan and spending his time in the weight room instead of the classroom
Fire Arians is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Butler: Replacing Farrior isn't easy

June 8, 2012
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

At a brief media session yesterday after the final organized team activity of 2012, Steelers linebackers coach Keith Butler seemed to talk as much about players who didn't participate as the ones who did.

That stands to reason. With James Farrior gone, James Harrison a scratch for the OTAs, LaMarr Woodley not practicing and Jason Worilds recuperating from wrist surgery, a lot of veteran talent was missing.

But Butler seemed pleased with what he has seen thus far in some junior members of the linebacker corps, with one caveat: "Here's the deal -- they all look good in shorts. Its almost like a beauty contest. But, when the hittin' starts, we'll find out about 'em."

He has found out, however, that third-round pick Sean Spence -- who made an eye-catching interception in drills yesterday -- is a quick study and likely will see game action this season.

"He's coming along well. A very sharp young man. He's picking up our system as good as anybody has at this point," Butler said.

"He's showed me some things ... I wouldn't say he's not going to play. The fact of the matter is, since I've been here, we've never had a rookie start for us -- not Lawrence Timmons, not LaMarr Woodley, not anybody. So we'll see with him. He may not start, but he's probably going to get some playing time."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1xL9UfOS9
Old 06-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,944 Times in 1,670 Posts

i expect (or hope) to see a lot of this kid on obvious passing downs. no way larry foote can keep up with guys like ray rice out of the back field.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

LeBeau: Steelers defense will be fine

June 8, 2012
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LeBeau's defense took some hits after the season when the Steelers cut linebacker James Farrior, defensive end Aaron Smith, cornerback Bryant McFadden -- all 2011 opening-day starters -- longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke retired, and cornerback Willliam Gay signed with Arizona.

Yet there isn't much competition for starting jobs.

Ziggy Hood replaced Smith at left end and stayed there last season, although he will be pushed by Cameron Heyward. Larry Foote takes over at the buck linebacker spot for Farrior, yet he has another big talent behind him as was the case when Lawrence Timmons pushed Foote all the way to sign with Detroit in 2010.

LeBeau raved about rookie Sean Spence, a third-round draft choice from Miami.

"I don't have any concerns about Larry playing the buck, but we're going to have to replace numbers there. Somebody is going to have to step up in there. We have some guys who are experienced and some who are not. But I do like our draft choice. He's done everything any first-year player could do in coaching sessions without pads. I think we're in the right direction there."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...e-fine-639449/