Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,008 Times in 1,867 Posts
Default Seven years later, Kordell retires a Steeler

Quote:
One of the most popular yet polarizing local sports figures of the 1990's and early 2000's, Kordell Stewart returned to Pittsburgh today to "retire" as a Steeler, nearly a decade after he last played for the team.

A second round draft pick in 1995, Stewart played eight seasons in Pittsburgh. He rose to fame during his first two seasons when he saw game action as a wide receiver, a quarterback, a running back and even a punter, earning him the nickname "Slash."

He became the team's starting quarterback in 1997, leading the team to the AFC Championship. In 2001, he was the AFC Offensive Player of the Year, the team MVP and a Pro Bowl selection.

Stewart also was a target of rumors about his personal life and, according to him, death threats during seasons in which he struggled.

Of returning to Pittsburgh today for his "retirement," Stewart said: "It's not closure in a negative way, it's closure in a positive way ... I had a great time doing it. It's about the experience."

After leaving the Steelers, Stewart signed as a free-agent with Chicago in 2003 and played a season there before finishing his career with two seasons as a member of the Baltimore Ravens. He has since worked as an NFL analyst on ESPN. He resides in Atlanta with his wife and son. Former quarterback Mike Tomczak and tackle John Jackson also returned to "retire" as Steelers years after their playing careers ended.
http://old.post-gazette.com/pg/12151...#ixzz1wNZdyWJ0

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #2
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,496 Times in 2,759 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default Re: Seven years later, Kordell retires a Steeler

good for him, despite all the hate he got, i can't deny that kordell was one of the more exciting quarterbacks to watch.

if only he was content in his 'slash' position, i feel he would have been a hall of famer. he was a monster as a rb/wr and situational qb
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

Congrats Kordell!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
steelerchad
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 5792

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Arians View Post
good for him, despite all the hate he got, i can't deny that kordell was one of the more exciting quarterbacks to watch.

if only he was content in his 'slash' position, i feel he would have been a hall of famer. he was a monster as a rb/wr and situational qb
agreed. His desire to be an every down QB was his demise. He was great in the slot with 3-5 or so plays a game from the QB position.
steelerchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

WEDNESDAY, 30 MAY 2012

WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Onto some stuff:

--- Kordell Stewart will attend Steelers practice today and I'm told will have some kind of announcement. Here's a guess: He will "retire a Steeler.'' With all due respect to these guys who do this, it's a little hokey.

Years ago Mike Tomczak asked the Steelers if they would sign him to a one-day contract so he could "retire a Steeler.'' The Steelers declined, but offered him the press room at St. Vincent College during training camp to announce he would "retire a Steeler.'' Colbert told me that to sign him to a one-day contract would mess up their salary cap. He did not laugh when he said that.

Others around the league have done this as well and some actually did sign a one-day contract. The only other Steelers player I can remember making such an announcement at the team's facility was former tackle John Jackson years ago. He did not sign a one-day contract and neither, I suspect, will Stewart.

Stewart did not leave the Steelers voluntarily. He was basically shown the door. I thought he was treated shabbily by the former coaching staff at the height of his effectiveness, getting benched a few games into the 2002 season his last here -- after he made the Pro Bowl in 2001 and was voted the team's MVP.

Stewart was and is a good person who did not deserve the sometimes vile treatment he received from some fans while he was playing for the Steelers. I have no idea why he now wants to "retire a Steeler,'' if my guess is correct. He will always be considered a Steeler because that is where he made his mark in the NFL, helping the team to an AFC championship game at home in 1997 and some good quarterback play, even if others do not want to remember that.

For a time, he was one of the most exciting players in their history.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...ns-to-steelers
Old 05-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

What?!?!?

He has a ... son ... and a wife?!?!?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
tanda10506
Team President

Member Number: 17319

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerchad View Post
agreed. His desire to be an every down QB was his demise. He was great in the slot with 3-5 or so plays a game from the QB position.
That may be true but you can't blame him. They put him at QB and he was determined to be succesful at that position, he just didn't have the capability. He wasn't a great QB but he did well a couple of seasons.
Old 05-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,690 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETL View Post
What?!?!?

He has a ... son ... and a wife?!?!?

so does John Travolta...
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #9
ETL
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 14528

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii 5-0 View Post
so does John Travolta...
Touche
Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
truesteelerfan
Team Captain

Member Number: 11218
My Mood: Busy

Still a fan of his time with us - just didn't seem to have thick enough skin IMO - Does this mean I can wear my Stewart jerseys again - and perhaps more importantly - does anyone know how to simply and easily remove his name and I can have Troy Smith's Jersey
truesteelerfan is offline   Reply With Quote