Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,964 Times in 3,515 Posts
Default Hines Ward Joins NBC Sports

Hines Ward to join NBC Sports and Sunday Night Football broadcast team
Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
It did not take long for Hines Ward to find his way back to the National Football League. NBC Sports announced this afternoon it has hired Ward to work on it's highly rated Football Night in America on Sundays during the season among other projects.

Ward retired from football shortly after the Steelers released him this year and said at the time he was not sure what he would do, but that pursuing a job in the media likely would be one of them. He was among the most popular Steelers during his 14-year career and left as the most productive wide receiver in their history.

His hiring for the NBC football show comes six years after his friend and former teammate, Jerome Bettis, joined Football Night in America shortly after he retired. NBC did not renew Bettis' contract after three years on the show.

Ward, though, won't stick with one show. According to an NBC release, the multi-year agreement with Ward will have him contribute to other shows as well as being a studio analyst for college football. He will appear regularly on NBC SportsTalk with Mike Florio and Sports Illustrated's Peter King, an NFL discussion show on NBC Sports Network.

Ward appeared on NBC's Super Bowl pregame show this year.

"We think Hines is a perfect match for television because he brings with him a unique combination of charisma and football experience, which he demonstrated on our Super Bowl pre-game show from Indianapolis," said Sam Flood, executive producer, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network, in the news release."He's an opinionated personality who can draw upon his 14 years of experience, having excelled at the highest levels of the game. Just don't expect him to dance."

"I am really excited. It's not everyday that you get the chance to work for a powerhouse like the NBC Sports Group," said Ward in the release. "It is a big honor for me and I am looking forward to making the most of this great opportunity."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...t-team-638398/

Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:37 PM   #2
stb_steeler
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 14315
Default Re: Hines Ward Joins NBC Sports

This does not surprise me since Hines had taken up broadcasting lessons with Charlie on their off seasons.

Might as well dress em in skirts!
stb_steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Team Captain

Member Number: 8080

Maybe they will get rid of Harrison that guy sucks as an analyst almost as much as Sapp.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
TRH
Living Legend

Member Number: 17206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelerfreak58 View Post
Maybe they will get rid of Harrison that guy sucks as an analyst almost as much as Sapp.

Sapp isn't fired yet?
If anybody else did half the stuff that scumbag has already done, they would have been fired a long time ago. I think Jeremy Shockey, who is in limbo right now, should sue Sapp if he can't find a team, due to Sapp disparaging his name as a "rat". Scumbag.

I figured Ward would end up on the sidelines instead. Whether it be broadcasting or coaching, we all knew he would find a gig almost immediately.
TRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,826 Times in 3,702 Posts

great news! i cant wait...

also great that theyre giving him more than the dog and pony gig they gave jerome. honestly hines seems more of a natural than jerome who was always great as an interview, but not as the interviewer.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:40 PM   #6
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,800 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Hines Ward Hired By NBC

Thursday, May 31st, 2012 by Dave Bryan

Recently retired Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is coming to a television set near you as Ed Bouchette passes along the word today that Ward has been hired by NBC. Not only will Ward be part of Football Night in America on Sundays, he also is slated to appear regularly on NBC SportsTalk with Mike Florio and Sports Illustrated's Peter King in addition to being a college football studio analyst.

This is not the first time that Ward has been on the other side of the camera as he has done a few guest analyst spots in the past and he was also part of the Super Bowl pregame show this past February. Ward also received quite a bit of camera face time last year as he danced away with the trophy on Dancing with the Stars.

Ward now follows in the footsteps of former Steelers running back Jerome Bettis, who was hired by NBC six years ago following his retirement from the game. Bettis lasted three years before not having his contract renewed.

Ward has been preparing for a broadcasting career after football for some time now as he and quarterback Charlie Batch took attended the four-day NFL Broadcast Boot Camp back in June of 2010. That experience gave Ward a greater appreciation for broadcasting. He was quoted at that time as saying, "Going out and playing in front of 67,000 fans is much easier than getting (in front of) a camera," Ward said following his turn in the color analyst's chair. "But all in all, that's what it's all about, preparing for life after football. Being here at boot camp gives me a chance to see where I want to go with things."

Ward has the smile and the charisma to do well in broadcasting. The biggest criticism that he will face will likely surround how he handles the partiality factor with the Steelers and how critical will he allow himself to be of his former employer and teammates going forward. We should get a good idea right off the bat as the Steelers play the Denver Broncos in week one on Sunday night.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/05...-hired-by-nbc/
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Fire Arians
Anti-Spammer Mod

Member Number: 16570
Thanked 6,866 Times in 2,904 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

awesome for hines
Fire Arians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
QCbeauBlak
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 18662

Wonderful news!! This is such a classy gig. It is the best broadcasting gig in the NFL.. He is going to be with the classy Tony Dungy (hopefully Harrison is bounced.. he's not too bad though) and Bob Costas. Hines is always critical and objective of his teammates, Big Ben 2 years ago anyone? It's cool because we have so many Steelers in broadcasting with Coach Cower, Rod Woodson, Bettis, Hodge, now add Hines. Ryan Clark will most definitely get hired if he wants to take the route down the line.
QCbeauBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 11,425 Times in 4,800 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCbeauBlak View Post
Wonderful news!! This is such a classy gig. It is the best broadcasting gig in the NFL.. He is going to be with the classy Tony Dungy (hopefully Harrison is bounced.. he's not too bad though) and Bob Costas. Hines is always critical and objective of his teammates, Big Ben 2 years ago anyone? It's cool because we have so many Steelers in broadcasting with Coach Cower, Rod Woodson, Bettis, Hodge, now add Hines. Ryan Clark will most definitely get hired if he wants to take the route down the line.
they really should get rid of Mike Florio though...
Hawaii 5-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
WVABE
Team Captain

3D Field Goal - Pro Champion! 3D Field Goal - All Pro Champion!
Member Number: 24111

Good for Hines, hope his 2nd career is as great as his first.
WVABE is online now   Reply With Quote