Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Foote finds a home again

Foote finds a home again

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...yed-lions-mark
Been there, done that

Larry Foote backed up James Farrior last season, but Foote saw significant playing time, replacing Farrior at times and playing alongside him at others. Here is how they compare:

Player Age Ht. Wt. Starts Tackles

James Farrior 37 6-2 230 197 995

Larry Foote 31 6-1 239 102 403

By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, June 2, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
Updated 34 minutes ago

Larry Foote isn’t oblivious to his surroundings and is far from being immune from the talk.

He knows what is being said about him since the Steelers released the captain and anchor of their defense, James Farrior, in March.

“I told (Steelers coach) Mike Tomlin the other day that I am having a little itchy ear hearing about the big question mark I have on me,” Foote said. “I have been a question mark since I’ve been a little kid, with my background and where I grew up, so it’s nothing new.”

But replacing a friend, a mentor and one of the best linebackers in team history is.

Foote will be one of three new starters on defense when the season opens in three months, but he most certainly will have the biggest shoes to fill.

“We expect Larry to play and to play well,” Tomlin said.

Under Farrior’s leadership from 2002-11, the Steelers finished first in total defense four times and in the top five eight times while winning a pair of Super Bowls.

“You lose a guy like James Farrior, which you’re never going to replace because of all the intangibles he brings to the table. That’s just impossible to replace all of that,” linebackers coach Keith Butler said.

But if there is one who can come close, it’s Foote.

“I can hold my own,” he said. “I’ve taken the huddle of this team before in my 10 years. I know the defense. I can play.”

Foote played alongside Farrior for five years and 80 consecutive games from 2004-08 before leaving for his hometown Detroit Lions for one season in 2009.

While he mostly backed up Farrior during his first season back with the Steelers in 2010, Foote took over a larger role by replacing Farrior for multiple series at a time.

Foote played 40 percent (411 plays) of the Steelers’ defensive snaps last season. Farrior played 73 percent of the snaps. In the two games Farrior was out because of an injury (Baltimore and New England), Foote logged 70 and 57 snaps, respectively.

“Larry Foote knows this defense in and out,” Butler said. “He’s been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense, it’s Larry Foote. Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there won’t be much drop-off by having him in there.”

When the Steelers invested a first-round pick on Lawrence Timmons in 2007, Foote knew he wasn’t going to be in the team’s long-term plans, so he signed a one-year deal with the Lions when his contract expired.

Although Foote started 14 games and had his second-best tackling season of his career, the Lions went 2-14.

In the non-salary cap year of 2010, the Steelers lured Foote back in a reserve role. He agreed to return but only after he was assured he wasn’t being signed to replace Farrior.

Two years later, Foote is OK with taking over for his mentor.

“He is 37 years old and played 15 years in this league,” Foote said. “We knew this day was going to come.”

Mark Kaboly is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.
He can be reached at mkaboly@tribweb.com.
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 14,592 Times in 5,991 Posts
My Mood: Happy
Default Re: Foote finds a home again

Wake-up: Steelers confident in Larry Foote

JUN 4
By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

So, I'm glad to be back but I am a little upset. I take off one week and miss Kordell Stewart retiring as a Steeler. This made me check my calendar to make sure it was 2012 and not 2002. Maybe I'll get lucky this week and Neil O'Donnell will do the same this week.

Thanks for the responses regarding the blog, and I'll have a post today on some of the feedback.

As always, grab a cup of coffee and get your AFC North wake-up call here:

The Pittsburgh Steelers remain confident that Larry Foote can replace friend and mentor in James Farrior as a starting inside linebacker.

“Larry Foote knows this defense in and out,” linebackers coach Keith Butler told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “He’s been in this defense for 10 years. If anybody knows this defense, it’s Larry Foote. Larry Foote is a very capable starter for us, and there won’t be much drop-off by having him in there.”

According to the Tribune-Review, Foote played 40 percent of the Steelers' defensive snaps last season while Farrior logged 73 percent. “I can hold my own,” Foote said. “I’ve taken the huddle of this team before in my 10 years. I know the defense. I can play.”

Hensley's slant: The Steelers showed confidence in Foote when they decided to release Farrior instead of him in their offseason salary-cap purge. Foote then caught a break when Pittsburgh drafted guard David DeCastro instead of linebacker Dont'a Hightower in the first round. In terms of performance, I agree there shouldn't be much of a drop-off from Farrior to Foote. The big question is how much the defense will miss one of its leading voices on the field and in the locker room.

BENGALS: A.J. Green became the first rookie wide receiver to make the Pro Bowl since 2003, but there's still room for improvement. A focus for the Bengals has been fine-tuning Green's route-running. “He’s always been such a good receiver that he could beat guys a lot of times just by running around them,” Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden told the National Football Post. “There were times last year when he wasn’t as detailed as he should be in terms of getting off the line, his depths and his route running. I think some of those routes will be cleaned up. He’s working on it. He’s so receptive to it. Has a ways to go, but he wants to be great. With the talent he has, throw in the desire he has, the work ethic he has, and the sky is the limit.” Hensley's slant: It's great that Green wants to improve. The key to this piece, however, is Green being present for the offseason workouts. The Bengals usually didn't have their No. 1 receiver around this time of year when Chad Ochocinco was the top target.

BROWNS: The Cleveland Plain Dealer's Mary Kay Cabot sees Dimitri Patterson rotating with Sheldon Brown at cornerback in the team's base defensive formations and gives Eric Hagg the early edge at free safety. She also reports that strong safety T.J. Ward is fully recovered from his foot injury. "I still think a premier box safety is valuable, but Ward needs to create more turnovers (two interceptions, two forced fumbles so far)," Cabot wrote. Hensley's slant: The spot to watch is free safety. I see Patterson stepping into a starting role this season and Ward developing into an impact defender if he stays healthy. The Browns need either Hagg, a seventh-round pick from a year ago, or Usama Young to fill that final spot in the secondary. This is Hagg's time to show he is more than a special-teams player.

RAVENS: Running back Ray Rice reunited with teammates over the weekend. It just happened to be at a charity softball game and not the football field. Rice did not provide an update on negotiations. "Honestly, I just let my agent take care of all of that stuff," Rice told the Baltimore Sun. "I just stay in shape and come out on days like this to get some fresh sun. I know the business side always takes care of itself. I know I've put myself in that position to kind of let it dwindle out and whatever it is at the end of the day, hopefully I'll be out there soon." If the sides don't reach a new deal by July 16, Rice would play under the $7.7 million franchise tag. Hensley's slant: As we've talked about plenty of times this offseason, the challenge is bridging a $10 million gap in guaranteed money. Rice probably feels he deserves a contract similar to the one given to Chris Johnson (six years with $30 million guaranteed). The Ravens are likely looking at a deal closer to the one signed by Arian Foster (five years, $43.5 million with $20.75 million guaranteed) and LeSean McCoy (five years, $45 million with $20.76 million guaranteed).

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...in-larry-foote
Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
austinfrench76
Head Coach

Member Number: 3516

I don't have a bad thing to say about Farrior, guy was a stud for us for many years, although he was conistently getting his ass kicked by TE's in coverage but I am a Foote fan. I love the story of his life and how he stepped up when he found out he had a child that he didn't know about! Guys got heart and soul!
austinfrench76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
steeltheone
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 6351

6 years younger... thats alot....I thought they were closer in age.