Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #1
mesaSteeler
A Son of Martha
Supporter

Member Number: 10438
Default Cotchery confident he can fill Ward’s role

Cotchery confident he can fill Ward’s role
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...rfriendly=true

By Mark Kaboly
Tribune-Review

Published: Friday, June 1, 2012, 7:32 p.m.
Updated 4 hours ago

Jerricho Cotchery has been with the Steelers for only a year, but the veteran receiver said he believes he can step into the role Hines Ward filled in the locker room.

“I am the veteran of the group,” said Cotchery, who is entering his ninth year. “I’ve seen a lot of things in this league, whether it is game experience, contract situations, I’ve seen it all. I am a guy in that regard that they can come to and ask questions of how it was handled.”

But before that, Cotchery wants to learn Todd Haley’s offense so he can contribute on the field.

“I want to get myself established so I can get out on the field and help this team win football games,” Cotchery said.

Cotchery signed a two-year deal in the offseason worth $3 million. He caught 16 passes for 237 yards in 13 games last season.

• Antonio Brown would love to return punts and kicks again this season, but the Pro Bowl special-teamer knows his chances are going to be few and far between. “I am always available,” Brown said. “Whenever Coach needs me out there, I will be ready. But it is a smart move by Coach. It will probably extend my career and give me a chance to master the wide receiver position.” Emmanuel Sanders is in line to return punts and kicks.

• When Sanders injured his foot last season, it left a door open for Brown to grab a starting spot. Sanders is hoping that he can do the same this year with Mike Wallace not expected to show up for offseason practices. “It is definitely a door that is open, but at the end of the day it is not about Mike; it is about me,” Sanders said. “My main focus right now is to stay healthy, and I am talking about the entire year.”

• Defensive end Cameron Heyward went up against rookie left tackle Mike Adams numerous times while at Ohio State. But Adams has yet to be allowed to join the Steelers for offseason practices because of school commitments, putting a hold reliving some battles they had while with the Buckeyes. “I am curious to see how he blocks,” Heyward said. “I haven’t seen him in a year. It is going to be fun to go against him.”

• The Steelers will start their third and final week of organized team activities this week. They have practices scheduled Monday through Thursday. Mandatory minicamp is scheduled for June 12-14. That will be the last time the team is together until training camp, scheduled to begin July 25.

— Mark Kaboly
mesaSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Hawaii 5-0
Armchair GM
Supporter

Member Number: 24013
Thanked 12,769 Times in 5,274 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Cotchery confident he can fill Ward’s role

Cotchery takes on leadership position with Steelers

June 4, 2012
By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With 12 days left in his 20s and playing for a football team that has employed him less than a calendar year, it might be a stretch to bestow elder statesman status on Jerricho Cotchery.

But with the retirement of Hines Ward, that is the role Cotchery finds himself in as the oldest and most-seasoned member of an otherwise precocious Steelers wide receiving corps that is long on talent but relatively short on NFL experience.

If Antonio Brown, 24, and Emmanuel Sanders and Mike Wallace, both 25, form the "Young Money" trio, does that make Cotchery the old codger at 29?

"He's still young. He's not old ... yet," the smiling Brown said of Cotchery.

"I am the veteran of the group," Cotchery said. "This is going on year nine. I've seen a lot of things in this league. Whatever it is -- game experience, contract situations, anything -- I've seen it all."

All, that is, except a Lombardi Trophy in his hands.

He said that is what brought him here last year after seven seasons with the New York Jets and was his primary motivation in April when he signed a new two-year, $3 million contract with the Steelers.

"I've had 1,000-yard seasons. I've had the numbers. I've had many other things, but I want to win a championship," Cotchery said. "Meeting the head coach and knowing what type of quarterback was here, that's what drew me here last year. ... I just love being here and I just wanted to come back to it."

Cotchery's first season as a Steeler was a strange one. He joined the team near the end of training camp, then sustained a hamstring injury in a preseason game that sidelined him the first three weeks of the regular season.

Upon his return, he saw limited action in the first half of the season, then played in fits and spurts over the second. When used, he had modest production in the fourth and fifth receiving spots, finishing with 237 yards on 16 catches and two touchdowns. He also scored a touchdown in the Steelers' playoff loss at Denver.

Cotchery said his focus this year is to establish a definitive role in the offense as a utility receiver who can line up in any spot.

"I can play every position," Cotchery said. "I want the coaching staff to be comfortable if any guy goes down, whether inside or outside, so they can feel comfortable with me going in and filling in. ... That's how I've always done it -- learn every position on the field and then go from there. When you have guys that are working that way, it makes the offense that much better -- you have more diversity."

He also has embraced the role of older brother to the younger players that was left vacant when Ward retired.
"I'm there for all of the young guys to help them in whatever area they need," Cotchery said. "I told them anything you come to me [with], it's just between you and I, and that's how we'll go about it."

Cotchery's counsel is appreciated by Brown and Sanders.

"He's one of those old vet guys you love to have around," Brown said. "A guy you can go to no matter what the situation and you know he'll give you an honest opinion and good advice. A great teammate."

"He's definitely a leader of the [locker] room ... he's seen a lot, been through a lot. He's doing a great job of filling that void [from] Hines," Sanders said.

But Cotchery isn't here to be a therapist. He is here to play football. And win.

"I feel like I can help the team, and that's what I'm doing right now. I'm growing within the offense, within the program trying to get my role established, so I can help this team win football games," Cotchery said.

"And, yes, I do want to win a Super Bowl. And we all know what type of work has to be done in order for that to get accomplished -- everybody here is willing to do that work."

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...#ixzz1wsAn8wx4
Old 06-05-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
SteelBlaze1
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 16550
Default Re: Cotchery confident he can fill Ward’s role

I love having guys that WANT to be here. Excited for him and expect a great year!
SteelBlaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote