Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 07-24-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304
Default Wake Me In September

So may questions, shall we wait and see?
We start camp in less than a week and have many unsigned picks, Our number one pick still has yet to sign and resolve some pending legal matters. Our QB hasn't been seen throwing a football to an actual receiver, or anything football related , in ages. He is obviously skinnier and claims to be wiser, but will he be better? Ben was dreadful in preseason last year and look what happened, so we're not going to get any indicators as to how he's feeling this year until the real stuff starts. Will Parker have to carry the whole load (after Staley gets hurt)? Will Porter be this years hold out? Can an undrafted Tarheel really carry the load for the Steelers, one of the most run dominant teams in history? Will we be able to sign Ike now, knowing we need to sign Troy later? It'll be interesting to see the approach and the mindset of the team as they embark on the defense of the title, but what happens on the field between now and the Miami game really doesn't matter to me.
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 05:53 PM   #2
SuperBowlChamps
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2580
Default Re: Wake Me In September

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyn
...but what happens on the field between now and the Miami game really doesn't matter to me.

Same here except that hopefully everyone stays healthy during the preseason workouts and training camps. I hate to see any player get injured in training camp to have their season ended because of a broken leg, torn acl/mcl, ect. It happens every year to someone...and I just hope that it doesn't happen to any of our players.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:05 PM   #3
Lyn
Banned

Member Number: 304

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBowlChamps
Same here except that hopefully everyone stays healthy during the preseason workouts and training camps. I hate to see any player get injured in training camp to have their season ended because of a broken leg, torn acl/mcl, ect. It happens every year to someone...and I just hope that it doesn't happen to any of our players.

You are so right! I certainly hope everyone stays healthy also:)
Lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 10:26 PM   #4
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Santonio worries me. He didn't learn from his first arrest so what does he do? He gets arrested again for assaulting a woman. He hasn't shown maturity. I have high hopes once he gets focused on football and gets around Hines and Ben full time but this is not the way to win confidence from a team that is going to fork over millions of dollars and play you over someone who can stay out of jail.

I'm not worried about Ben. He played well last year but not great. We didn't really ask him to do very much, just throw 15 to 20 times a game and not take any chances.

Not too worried about Parker either but we still have to use him correctly. I think the screens are going to be less successful, we used them too much last year.

I think, hope, Staley is finally ready to play. I think we will work him in slowly and use him on short yardage downs and to beat down the defense in the second quarter when we have a lead. If one of them goes down I think we need to pick up a veteran quick.

I don't care if Porter holds out. Actually I'm hoping for it so we can all see how much more we can get from someone who gives 100% every play. Watch any game from last year and watch Porter stand around and let the play go by him. The only time he was successful was when he was untouched. Heck we can have a rookie do that for league minimum. Porter never once beat a lineman. His coverage skills are good but I really think we can, and should, replace him with someone affordable. He's not worth $5 million a year. Keeping Porter next year means we either keep Troy or Ben, not both.

I'm not sure what's going to happen with Ike after next year but he has to play well for us this year if he wants that big contract from someone. You may have hit it on the head, we might not sign him next year because we can't afford both Ike and Troy. I'd hate to see that happen but if it does then Bryant Mcfadden will get his chance and maybe Anthony Smith will get some play time too.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:07 AM   #5
Sharkissle29
Team President

Member Number: 910

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dook
I don't care if Porter holds out. Actually I'm hoping for it so we can all see how much more we can get from someone who gives 100% every play. Watch any game from last year and watch Porter stand around and let the play go by him. The only time he was successful was when he was untouched. Heck we can have a rookie do that for league minimum. Porter never once beat a lineman. His coverage skills are good but I really think we can, and should, replace him with someone affordable. He's not worth $5 million a year. Keeping Porter next year means we either keep Troy or Ben, not both.
uh did you watch the playoffs?
Old 07-25-2006, 07:32 AM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

In my opinion, a contract extension for Joey Porter is out of the question. He will play out his remaining two years (?) in a Steeler uniform and that will be that. It would make absolutely no sense for the Steelers to give him an extension at his age.

Sooner or later you have to bring in new blood. Silver Back being one of them. Andre Frazier being the other. In my opinion Frazier is going to be a good LB for us in years to come.